PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Starting Problem - CDI?

Darren1
08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
OK electrical trouble shooters. I have a good one for you. I have a 2001 Raptor 660 that refuses to start. I have a very detailed manual with schematics, but have exhausted it (and my patients). The problem is that it will crank, but no spark and I believe it is in the starting circuit. Nuetral switch is OK. Clutch switch is OK. Battery reads 12.6V and 11.5V while cranking. New spark plug. Spark plug wire is 10 ohms (per spec). Coil ohms out correct. I have taken apart and cleaned all the connections I can find. I confirmed the reverse switch is OK, although this would not keep it from starting.

OK, now for the kickers. I can pull start it (with my Rancher) It starts imediately. And I do actually get one spark, but it is after I let off the starter button. (nothing while cranking) So the coil is releasing the spark, but it seems the CDI box will not let it. (back to one of the inputs is not working) But I have confirmed / bypassed just about all of them with no change. So that leads me the the CDI box itself. I am told from the dealer....they never go bad. Has anyone had one go bad? I would love to have it be a sensor instead of a $316 box. However, I will spend the money if that it what it is and avoid a 4 hour "trouble shooting" time from the dealer.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Quad Dude
08-29-2005, 03:05 PM
dude my buddy had the same problem with his raptor. but i hate to be the one to tell you this but the starter gear or some thing in by the fly wheel isnt chatching right and when my freind had it fixed it was over 500 bucks. its a screw job i know but that solved the problem. his starter would turn and turn but would start ever. he push started it for weeks and it was fine but just would never start with the button. its 2001 raptor thing and if i were you i would sell it or get ready to keep sticking money into it becase i bet within 1-2 years second gear going to be gone and your stators gunna **** the bed too. the trany can be fixed with and update kit but i bet it isnt cheap and a stator is like 200 bucks

Shoulda bought a red one

m_townsgreatest
08-30-2005, 11:40 AM
yeah my brother had one and it was the starter clutch. It costed him i think $300 but he had the 50/50 warranty so he only paid half. So prolly around $600

attaway
08-30-2005, 01:41 PM
HAVE THE VALUE'S BEEN SET, MY 2002 HAD A STARTER GO BAD, YOU COULD HEAR IT KICK BACK THE PART WAS ABOUT $180 & I PUT IT IN MYSELF, ABOUT A YEAR LATER IT WOULDN'T START, IT WAS THE VALUES COST $0 I DID IT MY SELF. VALUES HAVE TO BE A JUSTED OR IT WILL NOT START, YOU CAN PULL IT OFF & IT WILL START WHEN THE ENG IS VERY HOT, GOOD LUCK

YZ400EX
08-31-2005, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by attaway
HAVE THE VALUE'S BEEN SET, MY 2002 HAD A STARTER GO BAD, YOU COULD HEAR IT KICK BACK THE PART WAS ABOUT $180 & I PUT IT IN MYSELF, ABOUT A YEAR LATER IT WOULDN'T START, IT WAS THE VALUES COST $0 I DID IT MY SELF. VALUES HAVE TO BE A JUSTED OR IT WILL NOT START, YOU CAN PULL IT OFF & IT WILL START WHEN THE ENG IS VERY HOT, GOOD LUCK

Values?? I think you may be talking about valves..:D I really dont think it has anything to do with his valves seeing that this is an electrical problem (no spark) he is having and nothing to do with the actual internals of his motor..I am pretty sure that Yamaha can just test the CDI on your bike and tell you right away of this is the problem or not..My buddy just had to replace his CDI on his 01 Raptor ($25 on ebay) and it fixed his problem..I dont know if his would push start or not though..I would have the CDI tested and go from there..if its bad check ebay, if its not then check the other suggestions that have been said on here as well, but I would check the CDI first..It seems to be a known issue with the 01's after talking to the local dealer here..Hope this helps..

Quad Dude
08-31-2005, 08:22 PM
I really dont think it has anything to do with his valves seeing that this is an electrical problem (no spark) he is having and nothing to do with the actual internals of his motor

actually it probablly is the starter clutch because its a very commong 01 raptor problem and it will not make a spark if it doesnt turn the flywheel around. and thats what the starter clutch does hooks on and turns the fly wheel when the starter is ingaged. but then again if it throws one spark as your are turning it over and turn the key then its the stator ive seen that on a warrior and my buddys raptor.but i guess since you can pull start it that couldnt really be the problem

Darren1
09-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the advise guys, but it was the stator. I got a new one from Ricky Stator and that fixed my problem. Finally got it put in last week and all is well.

:)