PDA

View Full Version : What type of bike should i get? I"m new to ATV's

la9er
08-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm new to ATV's . i would like to get something good powerfull but i'm not sure what to get. i'm 6'2 about 245lbs. i'm looking into a raptor or 400ex. What should i get??

08-28-2005, 11:38 PM
stay away from the craptors...i dont know about the new ones with efi but the other ones are terrible. you would probaby like the 400ex but try the kfx700

quadrcr161
08-28-2005, 11:51 PM
you need to look and see which fits you better, what type of riding you plan on doing and how much do you know about maintaing them. also do some research on each one and you will find the good and bad points and things to look for.

tater_kamik
08-29-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
stay away from the craptors...i dont know about the new ones with efi but the other ones are terrible. you would probaby like the 400ex but try the kfx700

raptors get no love!! wtf!!

HondaEXrider22
08-29-2005, 04:33 AM
Yea as said above, depends what you want. Price? Looks? Fast? Type of riding?

08-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I would highly recommend a raptor. For your size they are perfect. You will be highly dissapointed with a 400ex. They are outdated and way under powered. Just stay away from the 2001 Raptor, some of them had tranny problems. There were no problems with them any other year. Oh and keep in mind you are in a predominantly honda atmosphere in here.

08-29-2005, 12:59 PM
the craptors are poorly put together and have no value after you buy them. people ar selling 04's around here in great condition for about $3k ....thats what the 400ex's are going for. raptors are garbage period

Lolli2
08-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I'd have to say either a Raptor or a Z400 to get you started. You may want to move up to a 450 once you get the hang of it. It does really depend on what type of riding you do.

tater_kamik
08-29-2005, 04:26 PM
the craptors are poorly put together and have no value after you buy them. people ar selling 04's around here in great condition for about $3k ....thats what the 400ex's are going for. raptors are garbage period

i hate to disagree to a point, i think that the raptor all around is pretty reliable honestly. every quad has its particular problems though, and the raptor is no exception (especially the 01, what the hell was yamaha thinking?) the raptor is a good quad, with good racing history, and not a bad price. thats how i feel atleast.

08-29-2005, 04:55 PM
trx450r
z400 just about 2-3 mph slower than a raptor very good quad or maybe even a built banshee lol

Hondadudeehhhh
08-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Marshmello
trx450r
z400 just about 2-3 mph slower than a raptor very good quad or maybe even a built banshee lol

its not about top speed, its what gets pu to speed quicker.

I would recomend a z400. In my opinion z400s are the best all around quad built right now for trail riding and some track riding

omaits
08-29-2005, 07:36 PM
I would recommend getting something like a 400ex for your first quad. Dont go crazy and spend alot of money on something you might not ride that much. I have alot fo freinds that went out and bought the best and newest quad for their first one and didnt stick with it. Now, all they can do is hope to get half their money back.

Get a relatively cheap (but good shape) 400ex. That way you can learn how to repair and ride it on somethign that isnt worth more than your car. And, if you decide to stick with it, you can get another one and sell the old or have 2!

08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
i hate to disagree to a point, i think that the raptor all around is pretty reliable honestly. every quad has its particular problems though, and the raptor is no exception (especially the 01, what the hell was yamaha thinking?) the raptor is a good quad, with good racing history, and not a bad price. thats how i feel atleast.

i guess so, they just handle TERRIBLE and my friend had one and everything fell aprt on it and it was always one thing after another. i wouldn't reccommend one to anyone

tater_kamik
08-29-2005, 09:43 PM
i guess so, they just handle TERRIBLE and my friend had one and everything fell aprt on it and it was always one thing after another. i wouldn't reccommend one to anyone
definately a little tipsy, good thing for aftermarket! you will always run into someone that has had problems with a certain product, i wouldnt say it is horrible just because of one person's experience.

you are a pretty big guy, i would say you definately want a big bore quad, raptor, ds650, or maybe even an built 2 stroke. i have an warrior for sale, but i doubt it will be enough. hell, im 150lbs and its not enough!!

sikraptor700
08-29-2005, 10:27 PM
get a raptor 700, its the best bike out right now

08-30-2005, 05:14 AM

I ride with a couple of Raptors and have never seen a problem.
Oh, and 04's for 3K show me ONE?? How are you going to compare a raptor to a 400 ex? Thats a joke.:rolleyes:

08-30-2005, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Marshmello
trx450r

Do any of you guys have any idea what you're talking about?? A Raptor will pull 10 quads real quick on a stock Z.

tater_kamik
08-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
its not about top speed, its what gets pu to speed quicker.

I would recomend a z400. In my opinion z400s are the best all around quad built right now for trail riding and some track riding

the 400's are a great class for beginners and experienced alike, plus plenty of available parts, and good for basically all kinds of riding.

1BADYFZ
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
the raptor has alot better resale than the 400ex, hell 01's are still bringing around 3.

Robin Hood
08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Take a look at the new Yamaha Raptor 700...

knighttime
08-30-2005, 11:27 AM
'zilla

:eek:

tater_kamik
08-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
'zilla

i would definately rock a quadzilla!

Ralph
08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by sinister450
I would highly recommend a raptor. For your size they are perfect. You will be highly dissapointed with a 400ex. They are outdated and way under powered. Just stay away from the 2001 Raptor, some of them had tranny problems. There were no problems with them any other year. Oh and keep in mind you are in a predominantly honda atmosphere in here.

400ex's are outdated. Maybe a little but raptors are like a mad scientists project gone bad. Notice the new Raptor. I remember how so many people would brag because the mighty raptors had 5 valves. well look at the new models, they went to the outdated 4 valve head. It always comes down to the rider so everybody stop your bickering.

As for what you should get, I would say since u are an entry level rider i think a raptor would be fine. But so would a 400ex, z400 and so on. Out of those 3 i would recomend the z400. It handles like the outdated 400ex/250r :rolleyes: and it has good power also. The reverse is going to be nice too for trailriding and you can find them pretty cheap too. z400 all the way

Flynbryan19
08-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Personally with your size and height I would say go for the raptor. I had one in the past. They're pretty good quads. Once you get more experienced you will find the limitations of the stock width, but if you have the cash aftermarket parts are PLENTIFUL for the Raptor. They do get a bad rap though. It IS heavy, and it IS tipsy, but for larger/taller riders its probably the best ergonomic fit you can find expect for maybe the DS650. I do not recommend the DS though unless your a dune rider. You can easily over come the raptors down falls with aftermarket parts. It will never handle as well as one of the 450's, but if your just interested in a trail quad, then that shouldn't matter. ;)

And of course (my preference ;) ), you could get a Predator. Power very compareable to a Raptor, AND you get better handling along with the comfort for larger riders. And if you get an 05' or newer you get reverse as well.

TheFontMaster
08-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
'zilla

You beat me too it, but I don't think someone thats new to ATV's would want something as high maitinence as a zilla. I'm gonna sugest a predator, new 700 raptor, or a ds650.

tater_kamik
08-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
400ex's are outdated. Maybe a little but raptors are like a mad scientists project gone bad. Notice the new Raptor. I remember how so many people would brag because the mighty raptors had 5 valves. well look at the new models, they went to the outdated 4 valve head. It always comes down to the rider so everybody stop your bickering.

As for what you should get, I would say since u are an entry level rider i think a raptor would be fine. But so would a 400ex, z400 and so on. Out of those 3 i would recomend the z400. It handles like the outdated 400ex/250r :rolleyes: and it has good power also. The reverse is going to be nice too for trailriding and you can find them pretty cheap too. z400 all the way

i wonder why they switched to the 4 valve head, if it was a motogp bike, and the rider preferred it, i would understand, but its not! kind of weird. the only thing i can think of is that with a 4 valve head, it tends to give a mellower feel, while a 5 valve head is supposedly more sporty feeling?!? maybe this is better for trail riding or something? i remember reading the 4 vs 5 valve in a technical setup thing for motorcycles, anyone else have a possible reason why they would do that?