PDA

View Full Version : New User~ Just Purchased '85 350x...perf. upgrade questions??

fyi
08-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi folks-
I've just joined this board and look forward to stopping by often. I'm 33 and just purchased a 350x last week and I'm looking forward to making it faster/stronger. I grew up w/ three-wheelers when I was younger and have quite a bit of riding and mechanical experience with them, albeit a bit rusty with it all.

I'm a mechanical engineer by education, an experienced machinist and own my own automotive racing engine business. If any of you have any desires to have something machined or drawn up with our in-house CAD/CAM software, let me know and I'll see if I can help. There really isn't too much we can't do here....

I've been looking over this thing since I've got it and I've gotta say~ there looks like a few things could be improved by making them of billet materials, better engineering, etc.

Do any of you more experienced riders, enthusiests or gear heads have any recommendations where to start and what is the weakest link in stock trim from your experiences? I've been told/shown from another board that the frame typically cracks near the small down-tube adjacent to the swing-arm pivot. Is this correct?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you more experienced guru's on this thing and I plan to *really* step into this project to make this machine perform. Working on this bike is a nice, welcome, different change of pace from my everyday business, so I find it very relaxing and fun!

Thanx in advance.

08-28-2005, 10:07 PM
does it do a wheelie.

fasterblaster09
08-28-2005, 10:10 PM
^^ lmao

Welcome ,you WILL get addicted.Have an pics of yuor trike?

fyi
08-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've looked over this website and it's huge with a lot of good information. :)

Is a three-wheeled ATC owner welcome on this board? I only see mostly four-wheeled atv's here. If not I understand and I'll step away.

Here's a photo of the machine at my shop.
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15574

86350x
08-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I have never had anything break on mine. To get it unchoked and to keep it reliable. I suggest finding a super trapp "4 inch I think" and putting on either a k/n air filter or a uni and getting rid of that restrictive metal tube on the stocker. If you put a different muffler on it rejet it to your altitude ect. Mine has been running for years and years. But I have a stock exhaust on it.(so I can ride it locally and after work) It was all rebuilt before I bought it. The only thing they did to upgrade the performance was put a .040 over 10.25 to 1 piston it in.

Run 20 w 50 motor oil in it, and don't be affraid to change it every 3 hard rides. I put on 80 to 100 miles on most rides.

Also stick to premium gas.

Not sure on your project parts? Honda only strengthend the swing arm on the 86 model over the 85. Mostly due to a different welding process. Maybe you can make a trick pluss2 swing arm for it:confused:

08-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by fyi

Is a three-wheeled ATC owner welcome on this board? I only see mostly four-wheeled atv's here. If not I understand and I'll step away.

Of Course!! Welcome to the site:macho

Snow
08-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah man.. welcome to atv(c) riders :D

08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
didnt the guy in huevos 5 have a 350x LMFAO

86350x
08-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah, he put holeshots on it for 5, and fixed it up a bit from 3.

Everyone should have a trike to go with there quad.:cool:

fyi
08-29-2005, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys, :)

300excrazy98
08-29-2005, 09:53 AM
i like that dragster in the back of the picture with the blower!

Welcome to the ssite homie!

i wish i could put a blower on my quad...:(

08-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by 300excrazy98
i like that dragster in the back of the picture with the blower!

Welcome to the ssite homie!

i wish i could put a blower on my quad...:( i like your avatar:eek: :cool:

fyi
08-29-2005, 10:07 AM
I like that avatar too! :eek2:

300excrazy98
08-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by aLLoY MX 428
i like your avatar:eek: :cool:

me 2 thank you