PDA

View Full Version : Setting for alky??

fasterblaster09
08-28-2005, 02:38 PM
My drag blaster is now running on ultimate 2,and its just too d*mn expensive.I have a 35mm kehin.Im looking to run it on alky,what would I have to do,and pelase tell me exactly.People say "you have to have it set",but what do I have to set.Please tell me everything,and price range of having it "set".

thanx neil

mikeboone
08-28-2005, 03:49 PM
The best bet is to send your carb off and have it converted to run methanol. www.ftzracing.com does these all the time. Once the carb is converted it will have to run alky from then on.

08-28-2005, 06:48 PM
be prepared to change your oil after every ride. and run it on gas before every time you let it sit.

mikeboone
08-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
be prepared to change your oil after every ride. and run it on gas before every time you let it sit.

Yea, I recommend a good top end lube if running alky as Methanol is very dry and will wash the rings too. Alot of the meth will end up in the oil and require frequent changing. Alkly is also hygroscopic meaning it will absorb moisture from the air. Any container should be airtight and up stored off cement floors.

Keep it off your skin as overdose of methanol causes blindness. :o

08-28-2005, 07:33 PM
I run it in my go kart. scence I have been around it, I have inhaled (sp) alot. Now I have lost moast of my sence of smell, dont know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I run some gas throught the motor every time I am done racing. I mix the gas like 75% gas 25% wd40. it seems to help get rid of the moisture.

one guy at the races let a motor sit for a month with out running gas through it first. the motor sezied up.

SHADETREE101
08-28-2005, 07:34 PM
alcohol likes timing, an adjustable timing plate would do. also you need a hot spark. different ignition. gear change. alcohol loads and produces alot more torque so you can usually run a taller gear and it will pull it. as for running a top end lube you are running a two stroke nothing lubes like two stroke oil. and you had better mix it fat. like 28-1. get an exhaust temp guage that you can read so you don't burn up the engine. now for the hard stuff. the carbeurator dump tube must be changed to accomodate for the larger volume of fuel. different needle for change in taper. you'll need to run longer and larger fuel line. to make a jet board you must measure your gas jets and double the diameter and start drilling them yourself from there in .001 increments if possible. you will need a machinist drill index to do this. add a power jet also they help on tuning because if you don't like tuning your carb now you'll deffinitley hate alcohol. like said before you must purge after each day of riding and drain the bowl before you start it up. this is just a rough overview of changing to alcohol. nothing in this post is exact science user beware.

mikeboone
08-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by SHADETREE101
alcohol likes timing, an adjustable timing plate would do. also you need a hot spark. different ignition. gear change. alcohol loads and produces alot more torque so you can usually run a taller gear and it will pull it. as for running a top end lube you are running a two stroke nothing lubes like two stroke oil. and you had better mix it fat. like 28-1. get an exhaust temp guage that you can read so you don't burn up the engine. now for the hard stuff. the carbeurator dump tube must be changed to accomodate for the larger volume of fuel. different needle for change in taper. you'll need to run longer and larger fuel line. to make a jet board you must measure your gas jets and double the diameter and start drilling them yourself from there in .001 increments if possible. you will need a machinist drill index to do this. add a power jet also they help on tuning because if you don't like tuning your carb now you'll deffinitley hate alcohol. like said before you must purge after each day of riding and drain the bowl before you start it up. this is just a rough overview of changing to alcohol. nothing in this post is exact science user beware.

Some good info. FTZ does handle a good but of this but it will require alot of hands on tuning by owner as well. ESR and FTZ both offer alcohol jet boards for Kehin and Mikuni carbs.

SHADETREE101
08-28-2005, 10:08 PM
as for carb, i would suggest calling dennis packard, he can set you up with what you need. all can be said and done very easily if you have them set up your carb for you. it makes everything alot easier. use the lectron carb, it is easy to tune and if you are interested i can get you their number. sorry i didn't p.m. you back but i have dsl and it shows i'm always online. i will help you anyway i can. i am running my 400 ex on alcohol now and have many friends running 2-strokes on alcohol.

SHADETREE101
08-28-2005, 10:10 PM
you could probably expect a 10-15 % jump in horsepower when jetted correctly. and alcohol is somewhat forgiving as long as you run it fat. you will also no longer have to pin the throttle for power. alcohol produces under load. this means you can launch and shift earlier and it will still pull hard. that is what i have experienced.

fasterblaster09
08-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Well I have a kahin,and im not lookngi to by another carb,maybe elter a bigger,but this will do f now.I was told that I would get un-noticable power,not much.Since im already running Ultimate 2.I dont see why most people run ultimate 2,if alky is better.and ultiamte 2 cost $8.75/gallon,and alky only cost $3?? .theres gott be a reason.

SHADETREE101
08-29-2005, 06:50 AM
the usual reason people switch back to gas is because they don't like the maintenence and jetting requirements for alcohol. and you would need a bigger carb for alcohol. you could probably flow a 38 mm lectron if you are ported for top end which i assume you are with the times you posted. you do gain power from alcohol, it is much more noticable on two strokes than 4 strokes. i probably only gain like 1 horse on my 400 but the thing runs nice and cool. the cooler your engine runs the more power you make. i have had no problems with washing out rings or milky oil thus far, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. besides that how many really fast bikes do you see that haven't tried running a diffferent fuel, you are already trying different fuels and paying out the ***** for it.

08-29-2005, 01:24 PM
not to get too to far off subject. but when I read the last poast about getting milky oil it made me wonder. is that caused from gas passing by the rings? it must I guess, how else does it get in there. only bring it up because my go kart oil goes in oarnge and comes out white after about 15 min if run time. kinda wierd.

SHADETREE101
08-29-2005, 05:22 PM
if you are jetted to fat yes it is getting past the rings, if you have it jetted correctly the small amount that enters the oil will burn off from engine heat anyways. i have had little to no problems with my oil in the lower end but, alot of four stroke engines have this issue. either your rings are worn, or your dumping to much fuel in. just my guess