PDA

View Full Version : 450 has a problem

tcr450r
08-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Alright guys, I need some help. My quad is running like crap. I have tryed everything and I can't figure out what to do. It all started about two weeks ago. My dad loaded up the bike and took it to the carwash to wash it and for some reason he put plastic around the filter so that no water would get in. Well, we unloaded it and he just forgot to take the plastic off. So the next day i go to go riding and im kicking like crazy, about 20 minutes of trying to kick and push start it i take off the seat and notice what he forgot. I knew it had to be flooded so i tryed a couple kicks after i took it off and i gave up. Well we tryed everything to get it started, checked all the maintenance places and stuff like that. Eventually, on about our 3rd day of messing with it we finally got it push started. I rode it for about a half hour after getting her fired up. Now it still wont kickstart for nothing, I always have to push start and when im not giving it gas out on the trail, like if i wuz just sitting in neutral it will just die, it is not the idle. I have messed with that. Ive checked the plug... great spark. Any ideas. Please!

ATC350X 85
08-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Is it possible some plastic got sucked into the carb or the powerwashing has damaged an electrical connector?

08-28-2005, 03:11 PM
you need a new spark plug

tcr450r
08-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Well, we checked to carb out and there was no visisble pieces of dirt, plastic or anything plugging it up but mixmaster I think you could be right because i bought a new plug about 3 weeks ago and before i put it in i dropped it, i figured it would be all right because i droped in on dirt, it was kind of hard dirt but when i put it in it took like 5 or 6 kicks to start it. Which is unusual, I can normally get it in 2. Do you think that it could have cracked when i droped it and it just got worse from riding it? Thanks for the input guys

motox450
08-28-2005, 05:56 PM
You can still get a fouled plug to fire, and it may have a hairline crack that you can't see. If it does the spark strength at the electrode will be weakend to the point that you may not get it to start, but if you push or pull start it you may have your jetting lean enought to get it to fire and then it won't have enough spark to keep it running. You can do a spark check against the quad but to the naked eye you won't be able to tell if its got enough spark to start. I had a friend if mine with a yzf400 that looked like it had enough spark to fire, and believe me three of us kicked our guts out trying to get it to fire and it wouldn't. He went got a new plug and first kick fired right up. So I would try a new plug and go from there.

Ruby Soho
08-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
you need a new spark plug

08-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
You need a new plug
I agree.

tcr450r
08-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Alright thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll have to go pick one up this weekend. I hope it works, lol, it sucks not being able to ride. Thanks