PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 11:17 AM
I am tearing down my quad this week to PC and I was wondering if it buying a sandblaster and doing it ourselves would coast more/less to blast?? What all is needed to blast my frame?

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 11:33 AM
I also need to ask someone whos got expereince with PC, how many pounds of powder do I need to PC a Frame,Swinger,Side covers and just a few of the smaller pieces?After alot of talking and trying to decide, I think I have decided on Candy Purple on my frame .......

Is this a 2- stage coat or three??? I would like to order this the first of the week.

JDiablo
08-28-2005, 11:38 AM
20 lb should cover that

But my first reply would be GO ASK PAPPY!!!!

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
20 lb should cover that

But my first reply would be GO ASK PAPPY!!!! lol..

Pappy's a busy guy , and Im sure he gets asked ALL THE TIME aobut PC'ing, I didnt want to bother him w/ it unless he just happes to come across the thread ;)

This will be the color Im gonna use, I was going to buy it from Columbia coatings. Iwouldnt mind anyone telling me how they liked this color too if they have used it before...

Do any of them sent out samples?? This color will be incorperated with Orange Fullbore.

400exbiggun
08-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
20 lb should cover that

But my first reply would be GO ASK PAPPY!!!!

20lbs of powder:eek2: What are you pc'ing a MACK truck?

Should be really no more than like 3lbs with alot of overspray, maybe a little more than 5-6 including the swinger and other parts. But remember this is a 2-3 coat color. So your gonna need the base, then top coats

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
20lbs of powder:eek2: What are you pc'ing a MACK truck?

Should be really no more than like 3lbs with alot of overspray, maybe a little more than 5-6 including the swinger and other parts. But remember this is a 2-3 coat color. So your gonna need the base, then top coats IT says no clear coat needed, so is it a 2 coat ?? :confused:

400exbiggun
08-28-2005, 06:49 PM
yup, i believe thats how pappy likes it to. The candy color is just a tinted clear, so you dont need the clear coat.

Pappy
08-28-2005, 06:49 PM
QJ, if the frame is stock paint, its not too bad to strip, but if its pc'd it can be a nightmare for the small blasters.

If you have the option, id let a company strip it.

You will need 2-3 pounds of chrome, and the same of the trans purple. clear is not needed, but is sometimes used to add another layer of protection to colors that need it. (trans purple is not that weak and i dont clear it)

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
QJ, if the frame is stock paint, its not too bad to strip, but if its pc'd it can be a nightmare for the small blasters.

If you have the option, id let a company strip it.

You will need 2-3 pounds of chrome, and the same of the trans purple. clear is not needed, but is sometimes used to add another layer of protection to colors that need it. (trans purple is not that weak and i dont clear it) Its still stock paint.Ill leave it to the pros to remove then...
Thank you for the info, I just wanted to make sure I get it right when I call and order it ....Im guessing they would be alot of help to me when I call and order too ??? Can you tell me if its as sweet a color in person as Its shows on the Website??? I sure wish I had a sample in hand..

We have it half torn down. Im so excited, after two years of griping, I FINALLY get my powdercoating!!! :blah:

Pappy
08-28-2005, 07:02 PM
personally, ive never had good luck with it over chrome base coats. its a very dark color and i just cant get it down.

those pictures are done over bare steel, and it looks great. i have used it over billet aluminum and results were good.

when i have to shot a purple, i either use purple metalic with clear (same shade as trans purple) or another dormant powder from pendrys.

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 07:22 PM
personally, ive never had good luck with it over chrome base coats. its a very dark color and i just cant get it down.

those pictures are done over bare steel, and it looks great. i have used it over billet aluminum and results were good.

when i have to shot a purple, i either use purple metalic with clear (same shade as trans purple) or another dormant powder from pendrys. So if my Chassis is steel, then Im guessing we will have good results.Isnt that what Stock frame is? Is the Candy purple the same as Trans Purple?Im going to do the hubs,frame,swinger, case saver .. Just about anything that can be colored safley. I wont do my shock springs after the nightmare we had with Troys , his shrunk :huh

Pappy
08-28-2005, 07:28 PM
yes, your frame is steel. what i am refering too is that the pic of the wrenches, they were coated with just trans purple, no basecoat of chrome. alot of trans colors work excellent over bare steel or polished aluminum if you can get away with it. on a frame you could try, but the steel will start to rust under the coating and discolor (yes, your metal rusts even when coated or chromed)

here is trans blue, i know everyone has seen it a zillion times, shot over a cheaply chromed bracket for a truck. it looked awesome, but it would not of looked like this if it had a chrome powdercoated base. the chrome pc base is to give the trans color a clear reflective base to enhance the translucent (see thru) properties. imagine shooting it over a part that is stained, you would see every detail under the coating, not too mention it would be very very dark blue negating almost all of the color one expected from it.

(hope this helps?)

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
WOW.. what ALOT to absorb... :eek2: All I knew was I wanted my frame to look like those wreches..!! :p I do want something that will last , I do know the fancier you go, the less practical it becomes, but I just didnt see a color I liked that was just a plain one coat color.

What I didnt know was that after painting that it could still rust! We were gonna buy a trailer that was PC'd for that very reason, ours rusted in 6 months w/ it just painted.:ermm:

So from your expertise Pappy, overall, do you think I will be OK with this color and OK going 2 coat ??? I am just not a smart cookie what so ever in this freind and I know you have alot of experience with it :)
This was very helpful , now Ill have a little more knowledge when I call them to order

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Im not positive, but I think its not too far from this color we used on the Predator.It was a 3- stage coat.In spots, I know on his the PC didnt hold up so well after riding a few trails ...Heopfully mine will hold up better..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/QuadJunkies/BurplePC.jpg

Pappy
08-28-2005, 08:48 PM
if it were me doing your frame, id suggest purple metalic over a trans purple.

i didnt mean to scare you, metal starts rusting the second its exposed to air. i too have a trailer that was powdercoated and its peeling and such. it sucks, but it didnt discolor as fast as paint...lol

if flash rust is present, im sure the pc shop will treat it. that is supposed to prevent any further rusting, but it wont help once the pc is scratched and the moiture gets into the scratch. we are talking a long time usually so dont let me worry you..lol i tend to take the over cautious side instead of telling folks pc will outlast them!

the biggest question i have to ask, if you are ordering the powder, is the pcshop used to shooting trans colors? i know alot of them refuse to do it for a myriad of reasons.

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 08:52 PM
if it were me doing your frame, id suggest purple metalic over a trans purple.

i didnt mean to scare you, metal starts rusting the second its exposed to air. i too have a trailer that was powdercoated and its peeling and such. it sucks, but it didnt discolor as fast as paint...lol

if flash rust is present, im sure the pc shop will treat it. that is supposed to prevent any further rusting, but it wont help once the pc is scratched and the moiture gets into the scratch. we are talking a long time usually so dont let me worry you..lol i tend to take the over cautious side instead of telling folks pc will outlast them!

the biggest question i have to ask, if you are ordering the powder, is the pcshop used to shooting trans colors? i know alot of them refuse to do it for a myriad of reasons.

Not sure on that one, I know we are taking back to the same guy who done Troys. He done an excellent job. I do know when I called around the last time people were NOT happy to do TRans colors now that you mention it! I hope I dont run into a loophole on this, cause I have a pretty good idea what I want in my mind

WIll the colors you suggested come out close to the same?? DAYUM ...

Why couldnt you live closer to Idaho!! :( :blah: ;)

Pappy
08-28-2005, 08:59 PM
the purple metalic wont "pop" as much in direct sunlight, no solid color does when compared to translucents. for all intents, its a pretty close match.

i have been playing with dormant powders, they only have a few choices, with violet being one of them. its easier to do then a standard trans color, but according to the specs its not as impact resistant. i use standard clear over it for added durability.

its the only color of purple besides purple metalic that i use. im either that bad with trans purple or it doesnt like me..lol i think the site is www.pendryscoatings.com (or some variation) they will sell small amounts to hobbiest etc if thats a choice for you and the shop.

just be upfront and ask questions at the pc shop. they will tell you what they can or cant do, or they will be redoing your frame..lol

(now you see why i have my own section, much easier to answer in thread format then 20 pm's..lol)

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 09:04 PM
LOL Sorry , I was actually trying to avoid doing that to ya ...
Thanks again for the help. I REALLY do appreciate it ;)

Pappy
08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
no problem at all. if i didnt like to help or offer help i wouldnt be here:p

i know you have waited forever to get your frame done, i hope you are satisfied with the final coating cuz good lord knows i will hear you raising H3ll from here! lmao

QuadJunkies
08-28-2005, 09:47 PM
i hope you are satisfied with the final coating cuz good lord knows i will hear you raising H3ll from here! lmao lmao... You know me pretty good ! :p :blah:

QuadJunkies
08-30-2005, 10:34 AM
ONE MORE QUESTION....( really, I promise! :p )

What is soda blasting?? I was told maybe to consider this instead of sand blasting . Soemthing about the powder sticks better or something:confused:

Woodsrider
08-31-2005, 12:06 PM
QJ The pic of the wrenches, is trans over a chrome plated wrench. I have done the same thing for a local Matco tool dealer. But those wrenches are coated very heavy, causing the color to be very very dark. I have never shot the trans purple over any of the Chome base colors out there either, but have used it on bare aluminum, and on polished stainless steel, and have had good results. I tried to fine a picture of a set of brake calipers i did in trans purple over silver vein (something Pappy showed us all;))but had no luck. I do have pics of it over aluminum and polished stainless though if you'd like to see it in a lighter shade, before you go out and buy a bunch of powder.

Woodsrider
08-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
ONE MORE QUESTION....( really, I promise! :p )

What is soda blasting?? I was told maybe to consider this instead of sand blasting . Soemthing about the powder sticks better or something:confused:

I would stick with sand(aluminum oxide), or nut shells. I have a freind that restores classic cars and he says that the soda leaves a type of salt behind, which leads to accelerated corrsion. He will only use sand.I dont think you want the soda inside your frame.

QuadJunkies
08-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
QJ The pic of the wrenches, is trans over a chrome plated wrench. I have done the same thing for a local Matco tool dealer. But those wrenches are coated very heavy, causing the color to be very very dark. I have never shot the trans purple over any of the Chome base colors out there either, but have used it on bare aluminum, and on polished stainless steel, and have had good results. I tried to fine a picture of a set of brake calipers i did in trans purple over silver vein (something Pappy showed us all;))but had no luck. I do have pics of it over aluminum and polished stainless though if you'd like to see it in a lighter shade, before you go out and buy a bunch of powder. that would be great!! thanks ;) I just need it to look good w/ my plastic Im getting, the darker color was eyecatching.

QuadJunkies
08-31-2005, 12:21 PM
I would stick with sand(aluminum oxide), or nut shells. I have a freind that restores classic cars and he says that the soda leaves a type of salt behind, which leads to accelerated corrsion. He will only use sand.I dont think you want the soda inside your frame. thanks, I have a freind getting ready to do this, Ill let him know this

Woodsrider
08-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Trans purple on bare aluminum

Woodsrider
08-31-2005, 02:00 PM
And on polished stainless

QuadJunkies
08-31-2005, 11:28 PM
And on polished stainless Im diggin that color, but the one above is too light for my likin.. thanks for sharing those with me!