PDA

View Full Version : Break-In

Iliketogofast
08-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Got my 250R back a few days ago, any suggestions for break in? I know how to do it, but I've never broken in a 2 stroke motor before. Any tips? I started out with a 3 or four minute idle to get the coolant running thru and stuff and also to get everything lubed up, but then I remembered the oil is in the gas.... :D

Iliketogofast
08-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Anything's appreciated guys :D

rooster300ex
08-28-2005, 05:35 PM
warming it up fully before rode is the first step. i've heard not to putt it around u wanna get on it alil bit and then kill it and let it cool down and warm it back up and get on it alil bit. do that in cycles.

jeepnrocks
09-19-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm not 100 percent sure about the 2 strokes but on my 4 stroke I ran it hard without banging it off the limiter then downshifted through the gears without using the breaks (so the motor and gearing slow the quad down)

MadMan400ex
09-20-2005, 02:41 PM
i have no idea of proper break in for a 250r. some say to very rpms, let it get hot then cool down, and some people say to ride it like you stole it so the engine is "used to running hard." my advise: read the owner's manual. if you don't have one, buy one. then read it.

SHADETREE101
09-22-2005, 05:55 AM
run it for a few minutes to warm up then run 1st through 4th gear at half throttle. let it cool 15 minutes. then again 1st through 4th gear half throttle, let it cool. then 3/4 throttle 1st through 4th gear and let it cool. again 3/4/ throttle let it cool. then wide open throttle twice and let it cool. then ride it like its stolen.

300exQuadracer
09-23-2005, 10:36 PM
remember to do plug chops(start out in 2nd wraping out every gear after its warmed up and you have rode it through the break in, if you ride mx 4th-5th gear wide open kill it and check the plug if you ride desert 6th gear wide open kill it and check the plug jet it acordingly) a lean motor can sieze a piston fast

JForestZ34
09-25-2005, 01:49 PM
A couple of the bikes I've had I've riden them real hard and never had a problem. They were al 4 strokes, not a 2 stroke. In alot of the engines I've bulit for cars I've had, if you run the motor hard from the get go, it will help seat the rings better for alittle more power. Alot of the engines showed more wear after some time babying the engine rather than just stomping on it early when it was fresh.

James

fitethesystom
01-09-2006, 06:23 PM
god this is confusing......

nobody has the same answer. i'm lost.

yokeracer
01-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by fitethesystom
god this is confusing......

nobody has the same answer. i'm lost.

Well do like the one guy said, GET A MANUAL :D

250r4life
01-19-2006, 09:20 AM
dont get on it right away... break that sucker it nice and slow... what i do is i start it up, and just sit there and blurp the throttle every now and again so it isnt idleling for too long... i let it get warmed up for about 5-10 minutes, and then i kill it and let it cool. you want to make sure it cools completely, so usually 30-45 minutes... and then i go and do the same thing, gradually increasing the time that i rev it and let it run... but make sure you let it cool between each cycle... after 3-5 idleing and revving cycles, i ride it around the neighborhood a little bit. you want to make sure and get it good and warm before you start riding it, and then i just go through the gears and i dont rev it out to high, shifting pretty early... you also dont want to leave your throttle in one place or keep your rpms at one place.. you want them to vary... so i ride it around the neighborhood for 5-10 minutes, then bring it back and let it cool completely... i usually do about 5 cycles of riding it around the neighbohood, and ride it a tad harder each time... but make sure you warm it up real good before riding each time, and then make sure you let it cool down real good before starting it again... after about 5 cycles of that, i take her out to the desert and get on her pretty good, but always making sure to vary my rpms- dont keep it pinned at one point... again, its always important to let your 2 stroke get good and warm before getting on it, but especially while breaking it in... after that youre pretty much good to go, but i like to get a at least a few good hours on it in the desert before i throw paddles on it and go to the dunes... break her in good and she'll last you a long time...

fitethesystom
01-19-2006, 11:26 AM
The Motoman break-in seems to have very good results from the people who have done it.

And I have a manual you dork...

lt250rm
01-28-2006, 03:29 PM
with a car motor (4 stroke) with a flattappet cam you want to take it up to 3 grand and hold it for 5 min then idle it down then shut it off and let it cool for 15 min. Then start it again and repeat like 5 times. but with a roller cam you basicly do it 2 times and you good becuase a roller cam doesn't have to break in.
But don't let it sit there and idle youll wipe the cam and the rings won't seat.

NOW ON TO 2 Strokes

Main points are don't beat it
Don't hold the throttle in one position for too long
Run through atleast 1st - 4th
Vary the rpms through out the power band
DO NOT LET IT SIT THERE AND IDLE !VERY BAD!
most people will run like a 40:1 synthetic oil mix but most will just run the normal 50:1 synthetic
40:1 is just a saftey measure
Best bet is to richen the jets up don't run it lean you will regret it i guarentee this
run for a max of 15min at a shot then shut it off and let it cool completly

Thats about it just keep repeating the run cool cycle for at least 10 times but if you wanna do it more you can. Just after about the 4th time start getting harder on it reving it higher and pulling through the gears longer.