PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used quad/What do I look at

chal23
08-28-2005, 06:38 AM
I am looking for a used quad, what types of mechanical things should I look at when inspecting. How do you check the carrier bearing and the A arm bearings. What else should I focus my attention to and how would I check them, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Guy400
08-28-2005, 06:49 AM
Bring a jackstand or two or at the very least bring a friend that can pick one end of the quad up.

Put the swingarm up on jackstands so the rear wheels are off the ground and tug on the axle...left to right, front to back. See if there's any play. If there is you have a bearing that's bad. Do the same with the front by putting the jackstands under the frame and pulling on the a-arms. With the quad on the ground pull on the top of the front tires outward and see if there's any slop. This will let you know if there's a potential problem with the spindles.

Other than that I always looked at the general condition of the frame. Do you see paint cracking at welds, spray paint here or there as if they touched up a weld or somthing, check the case for signs of JB Weld or some other hole-filler. Finally, start it and make sure it doesn't smoke and or make sounds like gravel has been thrown in a blender:D

blastereatin250
08-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Yeah, deffinatly make sure it's not smoking. We bought my brothers like that and the guy said it's just smoking because all he had was mixed gas for us to test drive. Ended up being a whole engine rebuild. ($2000)

Jingle #11
08-28-2005, 10:21 AM
h/o u let a guy tell u he put mixed gas in a fourstroke? LMGDAO:blah:

08-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Jingle #11
h/o u let a guy tell u he put mixed gas in a fourstroke? LMGDAO:blah: ROFLMFAO

86350x
08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Ask him how many hrs and miles are on the machine. See if its clean, or dirty. If its somewhat clean, it was probrably taken care of. Ask him when's the last time the oil was changed, and when he cleand the air filter. Take the seal and air box lid off and look for yourself. See if the filter is cleaned and oild. Ask him what kind of oil he used, and how often he changed it. Take it for a test ride, run it through the gears. Look at the chain and sprockets and see if there hooked and worn out. Little things like that.

blastereatin250
08-28-2005, 06:31 PM
h/o u let a guy tell u he put mixed gas in a fourstroke? LMGDAO:blah:
Yeah, we know, we were kinda desperate at that point because we had be looking for a 400 for about half a year at that point and the gas did look kind of green.:ermm: Make fun of me all you want.:rolleyes:

Jingle #11
08-28-2005, 10:09 PM
first of all i wouldnt give that guy the time of day if he said he put mixed gas in. and second of all i wouldnt buy a 4stroke that got ran with mixed gas. wtf?:confused:

tater_kamik
08-29-2005, 01:28 AM
overall condition should be a good indicator of how it was ridden and taken care of. feel for slop with all joints containing bearings, cracks, and welded spots, new/missing hardware, indications of rollovers, make sure everything that should move (controls) do so freely, starts up easily when it is cold, idles, no crazy smoke coming out of it, oil isnt horribly black (but also if it has just been changed you cant really judge anything by the oil) and a title. just look it over real good, ride it, if you notice anything odd or out of place, say something!

chal23
08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Thank you everyone for your help, this will hpefully get me a nice quad with little trouble.

08-29-2005, 11:02 AM
and second of all i wouldnt buy a 4stroke that got ran with mixed gas. wtf?:confused:

300exOH
08-29-2005, 11:14 AM
You could even take a compression tester if you can rent/borrow one. The condition of the plug and a compression test will give a good idea how good the engine is. Also make sure to ask if the swingarm bolt has ever been lubed. Also the condition of the chain and engine oil are a good indication of how well the quad has been taken care of.

08-29-2005, 01:16 PM
first of all i wouldnt give that guy the time of day if he said he put mixed gas in. and second of all i wouldnt buy a 4stroke that got ran with mixed gas. wtf?:confused:

uhh.. alot of people do that.. i do that.. it doesnt hurt anything, and it does help tighten things up a little, expecially on older motors..

now i have to ask "WTF" dumbass n00bs with there know it all attitude.

Jesse

300exOH
08-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
uhh.. alot of people do that.. i do that.. it doesnt hurt anything, and it does help tighten things up a little, expecially on older motors..

now i have to ask "WTF" dumbass n00bs with there know it all attitude.

Jesse

I agree. I have used premixed fuel in my mower in a pinch with no problems. The only thing it may do is foul out the plug.

chal23
08-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a fight, I am just looking to buy a quad........

tater_kamik
08-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by chal23
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a fight, I am just looking to buy a quad........

trust me bro, it was bound to happen no matter what you post... a lot of good tips on here for looking at used quads, any one else got some good info?