PDA

View Full Version : Rocker arms?

quadman21
06-07-2002, 11:52 AM
I just put together my 440 about a week ago. I had a lot of trouble leading up to it (stripped clinder threads) but now that I have it together and riding I find it a little "flat" on the top end. It has all the low end I imagined and I'm very pleased. Not much faster then my 416 but more torquey. So I was considering getting a TC woods cam. Is this what I want to help my problem? I race Harescrambles. Would I need a set of hardened rocker arms to go with the cam? If someone could school me on the need of hardened rocker arms it would be great.

Teufel
06-07-2002, 12:40 PM
I just put a 300ex back together for a guy who put a race cam and valve springs but stock rockers. He got about a months worth of riding out of it. The rocker wore and and then bound broke the stem/dropped the valve ect. ect. What a mess big $$'s
The spring tension is dramatically increased compareed to stock. The surface of the stock rockers are not hard enough to withstand the additional pressure thus they wear at a dramatic rate. You can get away with using stock rockers if you use a milder cam with softer springs. Personally I would go with the full package. :cool:

quadman21
06-07-2002, 01:08 PM
So what would be a good set-up? Like I mentioned before I have great bottom to mid range but the top just drops off. How much are hardened rockers? If I put a cam for top end would I loose the bottom end? What about an XR400 cam? I've heard people talk about them and like them.

06-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Since you have the 440 kit you are going to want something a little bit more agressive then the XR400 cam. Look at a white brothers cam or something bigger to get the full effect of the 440. I plan on just doing an 11:1 compression piston with a Hot Cams stage 2 cam, no bore. With this cam, I can run stock springs and stock rocker arms. With the big 440 I recommend you upgrade everything on your valves. IMO

Teufel
06-07-2002, 07:21 PM
If it were me I would go with the larger cam with springs and rockers. The rockers are $75 with exchange of your old ones.

Crypted1
06-07-2002, 07:50 PM
you can just have your rockers hard faced at most car racing shops. I know the shps do it around here for $50.00. You just have to take them out and give them to ya in a day or so they are done, put back in and have fun.

Rastus
06-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Id recomend a Webcam. They have cams as big as you would ever want to go.
I forget the URL, but ill big it up and post it.

01_300ex
06-08-2002, 11:59 AM
Has anybody that has taken the rocker arms out had trouble with getting the pin out, that keeps the rocker arms in place.

330exracer
06-08-2002, 12:20 PM
webcamshafts.com they got the bggest cams in the world.