PDA

View Full Version : 450r on trails

Luv2Gamble
08-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi im new to the site, but have been riding for a while. I am looking to buy a new quad, i havent had one for a few years now and im finally able to get what i want. I would really like a 450r or a yfz 450. I have done searches here and other places, but i havent seen many comments on how each of the bikes perform in the trails. I do a lot of trailriding, and also a lot of open area riding with friends. I want a bike that will be fast when i open it up but feel good on the trails. If anyone can point me in the direction of an article on either or both of the quads on trail ratings, or if anyone has ridden either as mostly trial bikes. I would rather buy honda but i have been hearing nothing but good about the yamaha, so im trying to make the smartest choice.

Thanks!

nowukno
08-27-2005, 07:07 PM
The 450r is an awesome quad but for the trails the 1st gear is a little tall and you will probably kill it alot when you first get it. Alot of people will tell you to get a smaller front sprocket (13 tooth) but i think it takes to much away from top-end. If you can afford it , just get a good exhaust , rejet and open the airbox and it will give you what you need for the bottom end. I can eat up my friend's Z-400 and DVX400 in the trails and when we hit a long straight or an open area i really put them to shame , another friend has a yfz450 and when we had the same mods he would be right with me. But besides the 1st gear issue the 450r is great for the trails. There is certain times were i have to get off and turn it around but the majority of the time , i just give it some gas and whip it around. The 450r has plenty of power to whip around on a tight trail and don't worry about the kickstart , it's the easiest kick start ever. Usually 1 or 2 kicks and that's if it's cold or warmed up. If you ever kill it you don't have to set there all day trying to kick it over , just hold the hotstart and kick it and she will fire up. I got the honda 450 over the yamaha 450 because i think it's more comfortable. I rode my friend's yfz and i think it's very uncomfortable and has a very hard seat but i heard that they changed that for the 06's. I think both quads are awesome , i also picked the honda because i had a 2003 400ex before and never had any trouble with it , honda's are bulletproof. Anyways , i hope this helps out.

Luv2Gamble
08-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I had read about the 1st gear issues, but i think i can adjust to it. Thanks you helped a lot!

3x440ex
08-27-2005, 09:14 PM
I just got a chance to ride mine today on the trails for the first time and yes you will have to learn to deal with the first gear. it will not just lug around like a 400ex. i stalled mine at least 10 time in the few hours we rode, but it's really not a big deal it starts right back up on the first kick. it is very comfortable and easy to ride and has more than enough power. buy it, you will love it. good luck.

speedracer400
08-27-2005, 09:29 PM
I only ride trails mostly once you kinda get the susp dialed in you can fly thru the woods.i agree totally nowukno and 3x440ex the yamaha almost feels like and over powered blaster there ergonomics just arent as nice. But i have a buddy who races xc w/yama and he loves it. I would be willing to bet 90% of the yamaha buyers bought cuz there to lazy to kick. if the r had push button start they'd sell 3x as many. Reliability is important when that much money is being spent and their is nothing more dependable than a honda.

Luv2Gamble
08-28-2005, 07:51 AM
When do the 06's come out? Should i wait will they be better? Should i buy an 05 now, can i get an 04 leftover right now for cheaper. Sorry for the dumb questions i have no idea what hondas release dates are.

Thanks for the help guys

nowukno
08-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Luv2Gamble
When do the 06's come out? Should i wait will they be better? Should i buy an 05 now, can i get an 04 leftover right now for cheaper. Sorry for the dumb questions i have no idea what hondas release dates are.

Thanks for the help guys

Im very happy with my 05 but if i was you i would wait to see what the 06's are like since they should be released very soon.

Luv2Gamble
08-28-2005, 08:11 AM
I would actually prefer the kickstart, do you know what else might be changing in 06, because i have heard a lot of rumors about losing the kickstart but thats the only consistent change i have heard mentioned

3x440ex
08-28-2005, 08:13 AM
i went ahead and bought mine now instead of waiting for the 06's. the reason for this is #1 i don't mind kick starting, and i would rather not have the problems associated with electric start. #2 i would get off my *** and turn my quad around before paying the extra $800 for reverse. #3 you can buy the 05's for a sweet price since the dealer are trying to move them out for the 06's.

Luv2Gamble
08-28-2005, 06:47 PM
How does the 450r compare to the yfz or the 400ex in the trails. Obviously not speed when comparing to the 400ex.

3x440ex
08-28-2005, 06:54 PM
The 450r is better than the yfz for trail riding.....the 400ex is nice but it's heavier and slower. whowever it is still a great quad for trail riding. it has a nice low gear for lugging around trails and they are bullit proof.

jeepnrocks
08-29-2005, 06:29 AM
im pretty sure the '06s are only about a week and a half away