PDA

View Full Version : completely baffled

mrg21201
08-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Just had new studs put in my buddies 440. Put the motor back together and it wouldn't start. Thought it was the timing so we pulled off the head cover and it was alligned perfect. We put the cover back on with only a few bolts and it fired up. Put the rest of the bolts in the cover and it wouldn't start. took the cover off again , still in time. Put the cover back on with a few bolts and it fired up. But will not run with all the bolts in the cover. Will only run if we leave the back bolts by the carb off. I am completely lost.

400exrider0004
08-27-2005, 06:42 PM
just guessin but when you tighten down the top(screwing the back bolts on) maybe the cover is pressing up against something so where it doesn't start.

QuadRacer18
08-27-2005, 09:22 PM
check all your rockers and sub rockers, sounds to me like the head is pushing down on the intake valves too much and floods it.

mikeboone
08-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18
check all your rockers and sub rockers, sounds to me like the head is pushing down on the intake valves too much and floods it.

Good idea; you will need to redo valve lash afterwards. Torque all the bolts to spec and adjust lash to cam specs as well. Cam bearings installed w/ no binding?