PDA

View Full Version : Need Feedback. My 406 headgasket if failing already.

RED121572
06-07-2002, 10:11 AM
With only 20 some hours on the motor, my headgasket is starting to fail.

Im using a stock, OEM headgasket. I torqued the head down to specs and used thread loc.

Can anyone give me advice on where I couldve screwed up?

Just a note, my jetting is spot on.

Thanks for your help guys!

DISHO1
06-07-2002, 03:17 PM
check the cylinder head studs to make sure they are tight.

RED121572
06-08-2002, 06:44 AM
One more question. Is there a head gasket that I shouldve used instead of the OEM stock gasket?

Leo
06-08-2002, 06:48 AM
did you put any kind of goop on it?

what kind of torque wrench did you use? (hopefully not one of the $30 cheapos with +/- 50% accuracy)

how did you clean the cylinder/head surfaces?

what makes you think it's failing?

Multi layer steel headgaskets are some of the most dependable gaskets around when properly installed..

Leo

RED121572
06-08-2002, 07:36 AM
Hey Leo,

Thanks for your response. The wrench Im using is actually a good one.

Ive got two pretty small oil leaks on the side of the head.

I took a couple of hours and carefully removed the old gasket material with razor blades. The surfaces were clean and I was very careful not to scratch the surfaces with the razor blades.

The only thing I can think of is what Ive read in the past and been told about how the headbolts will stretch. Ive read CT Racing sells headbolts that they claim will solve that problem.

The main thing is that I wanted to make sure if I used the right gasket. If everyone agrees I did choose the right gasket, then my only option is aftermarket headbolts.

Any other comments or suggestions? Thanks everyone.

Tommy 17
06-08-2002, 08:46 AM
i am using oem honda gaskets on my 406 motor with no problem of a head gasket leak...