PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice/help w/ TRX90 wont start

platinum350
08-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Hello, I am tuning up a friends TRX90 that has been sitting for a couple years. He wants it for his little kid. Anyway, everything looks fine now that I cleaned it down real good. The carb was coated in this hard film that must have been gas at one point or another. I had to actually sand the inside down to get rid of this film.
The problem I am having is that everything looks normal but the bike won't start. It has plenty of spark. I thought I might not have gotten something out of the carb, so I even sprayed carb cleaner in the spark plug hole.....nothing! Removed the air cleaner box and held the throttle WO and sprayed it through their as I tried to pull start it...nothing. I don't know what the compression is supposed to feel like while im pulling this thing, but it feels ok. I am just hoping that there isn't a broken ring or something.
So, please any suggestions for me to try would be much apreciated!!
Thanks!

Pappy
08-27-2005, 06:49 AM
my first geuss would be that the carb needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned. a jet can be closed from the hardened fuel left over in the carb

platinum350
08-27-2005, 08:41 AM
I agree, I have already cleaned it out pretty thoroughly. I guess i'll have another go at it. It's ashame I don't have a compression tool to see if it has enough compression. Don't you think it would at least fire up for a quick second if I spray carb cleaner in the spark plug hole?

Pappy
08-27-2005, 09:04 AM
not really sure, maybe a shot of starting fluid especially if the spark plug is old.

check to make sure nothing is in the airbox or the inlet air tube. the damnest things tend to get in there when a quad sits for a long period.

you will probably be best served to either completely disassemble the carb or snag up a cheap used one of ebay etc. once the gas becomes stale and tarnishes, its a job and a half to get it all clean and working properly.

platinum350
08-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
not really sure, maybe a shot of starting fluid especially if the spark plug is old.

check to make sure nothing is in the airbox or the inlet air tube. the damnest things tend to get in there when a quad sits for a long period.

you will probably be best served to either completely disassemble the carb or snag up a cheap used one of ebay etc. once the gas becomes stale and tarnishes, its a job and a half to get it all clean and working properly.

Hey pappy, your not kidding...i've never seen anything like this before. It is a mess, I thin the best thing for me to do is what you said and get one off ebay!
Thanks guys for all the help!