PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem.. Please help!!

Punk'd
08-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Alright on my other computer I press the start up button and it will make a weird noise, but then sounds like its running right, but nothing appears on the screen.. What can this be? What can I do about it? This really stinks please help:confused:

FasstMidnightZ
08-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Have you messed with it lately ? When did you first notice it ? And, like what kind of nosie is it making.

watts16
08-26-2005, 07:06 PM
did you do anything to the registry, malicious spy ware, or a virus maybe, either way i recomend that you restore your registry to an earlier piont btw what comp is this

FasstMidnightZ
08-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by exracer16
did you do anything to the registry, malicious spy ware, or a virus maybe, either way i recomend that you restore your registry to an earlier piont btw what comp is this Well, if its making noise (im no expert) but, I think if it is doing that then a fan is off or something. That is why I was asking if he has messed with it or etc, But if its not like a noise that would come from a fan then.......... Ya thats where im no expert at. :p

Butters
08-26-2005, 07:29 PM
yeah i would take the case off and see if there is something in the fan. if not the fan could just be old and if it is not brushless, the brushes could be out. if this is the case you will have to replace it and try getting a quieter fan. i have had this happen before and it was my fan. i just had to replace it. no big deal and fans are pretty cheap.

MOFO
08-26-2005, 07:30 PM
A few things...

(1) Fan is failing or failed causing your CPU to cook (CPU fan)...

(2) Hard Drive crashed and killing the start up BIOS - I have seen this before - not common, but can happen.

(3) Power supply is going bad, or is bad.

(4) Motherboard failed.

Do you get ANYTHING on the screen on boot up? Any beeps? From what you describe, its a hardware issue... NOT software.

trick250r
08-26-2005, 07:30 PM
sounds to me like the fan in the power supply went bad and it overheated

FasstMidnightZ
08-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
A few things...

(2) Hard Drive crashed and killing the start up BIOS - I have seen this before - not common, but can happen.

(4) Motherboard failed.

Do you get ANYTHING on the screen on boot up? Any beeps? From what you describe, its a hardware issue... NOT software. Ya thats most likely, fans can be $10.00 bucks but if your cpu is fried.....you might as well buy a new computer. Matter of fact if anything like the mother board, hard drive, etc is fried then buy a new computer. Or the power supply fan like Trick250r said. But, if thats the case and it cooked then it wouldnt turn on at all correct ?

Hope its nothing major Randy ;)

zeppelin
08-26-2005, 08:30 PM
man it doesnt seem like he fried any thing, and if it only makes a noise when he clicks start or whatever i ont see how it could be the fan, im with exracer on this one

omaits
08-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Dont worry too much about the CPU getting fried. Most computers have protection that will not let them overheat, especially if you have a built machine.

As for what is wrong... I would guess that your video card may be bad. The sound you are telling me about coudl be the fan on the video card (if it has one). If hte fan on the card did go bad, it could have damaged the GPU... thus why you get no signal to the monitor.

The fact that it boots up ok, but nothing appears on the screen is a very good indication of a video card being the problem.

I woudl recommend borrowing someone elses card and putting it in your computer to see if that does the trick. Replacement cards can be very cheap depending on what you want.

Another possibility woudl be the hard drive. This is 90% what is wrong when you hear a consitant clicking sound. There are only a couple moving parts in a computer (fan and hard drive) so I think it is eithe rone or the other.

Based on what you told us, this is only a guess. Also, like the guy before said, this is a hardware problem. Dont listen to anyone telling you to reformat your computer or make any other system changes. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

FasstMidnightZ
08-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
man it doesnt seem like he fried any thing, and if it only makes a noise when he clicks start or whatever i ont see how it could be the fan, im with exracer on this one If he didnt do a typo then it's not when he clicks start, It's when he actually turns the Computer on. So, it couldnt be a spyware etc. Plus he said it didn't even display anything on the screen so how is he supose to restore his registry. He just needs to take off his case and check things out.

zeppelin
08-26-2005, 08:45 PM
oaky then i must have just read it wrong, i thought he had windows running and everything, what type of pc is this, if its already kinda old it might not be worth it to trouble shoot the video card n stuff

EDIT i just reread it for like the 4th time and i finally got it, can you get into dos, or is the screen just entirely blank from the moment you push the button, try taking the monitor from the comp youron now and hooking it up the the comp that dont work, if it does help then its probably your vid card

prepracing
08-26-2005, 09:20 PM
is the monitor plugged in :confused:

Punk'd
08-26-2005, 09:48 PM
You press the power up button and it sounds like it is going to start but 3 seconds later it goes beep beeeeep and wont go any further. Iv tried a diffrent monitor and power supply. The other monitor reads "No signal" and usually the monitor light will turn orange stateing that its in a form of idle, but it stays green and the buttons on the monitor do nothing.. Contrast.. color.. etc

Everything is plugged in right. I opened her up, the fans are turning. Havent messed with anything.. programs.. etc

It was working when I left this morning for school and when I came home and turned the monitor on it said "No Signal"

Punk'd
08-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
oaky then i must have just read it wrong, i thought he had windows running and everything, what type of pc is this, if its already kinda old it might not be worth it to trouble shoot the video card n stuff

EDIT i just reread it for like the 4th time and i finally got it, can you get into dos, or is the screen just entirely blank from the moment you push the button, try taking the monitor from the comp youron now and hooking it up the the comp that dont work, if it does help then its probably your vid card

I have switched monitors and everything. No luck.

Punk'd
08-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by omaits
The fact that it boots up ok, but nothing appears on the screen is a very good indication of a video card being the problem.

I dont think it is booting up ALL the way. Usually the mouse's lazer will turn on and you hear certain clicks. I have seen none of these signs even after about 5mins of waiting for them.

08-26-2005, 10:12 PM
A few things...

(4) Motherboard failed.

Do you get ANYTHING on the screen on boot up? Any beeps? From what you describe, its a hardware issue... NOT software.

1 could be corrrect but you would have noticed this while using it, it would have bombed out on you and rebooted and never come back on.

2. Hard drive crashing has nothing to do with getting your initial start up Bios (thats built in on the motherboard bios). If it was a harddrive failure or video failure the motherboard would beep 2 times for Video Card error or 3 times for Hard drive failure.

3. This is most probably your problem, its blown and only sending out the 12volts and not the other voltages for the motherboard.

4. Mother board failure is very very rare, check your power supply first.

08-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
I dont think it is booting up ALL the way. Usually the mouse's lazer will turn on and you hear certain clicks. I have seen none of these signs even after about 5mins of waiting for them.

Mouse IR Beam coming on has nothing to do with booting up, thats powered by 12 volts as soon as you turn on your computer.

PS its called the Power Button, not Start Button.

Punk'd
08-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by DierWolf
Mouse IR Beam coming on has nothing to do with booting up, thats powered by 12 volts as soon as you turn on your computer.

PS its called the Power Button, not Start Button.

The lazer in the mouse usually turns on 20 seconds after boot up. In my case it hasnt been doing this anymore. I never said it had anything to do with the computer booting up I am just stateing what is happening/acting diffrent.

MOFO
08-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by DierWolf

2. Hard drive crashing has nothing to do with getting your initial start up Bios (thats built in on the motherboard bios). If it was a harddrive failure or video failure the motherboard would beep 2 times for Video Card error or 3 times for Hard drive failure.

I knew this would come up....

As a matter of fact, yes, a hard drive failure could prevent the bios from coming up. All depends on what is wrong with the hard drive. As I said, it is rare, but I have seen it myself. I work with alot of computers, so I see the rare and unusual problems.

Guy400
08-27-2005, 06:58 AM
I knew this would come up....

As a matter of fact, yes, a hard drive failure could prevent the bios from coming up. All depends on what is wrong with the hard drive. As I said, it is rare, but I have seen it myself. I work with alot of computers, so I see the rare and unusual problems. I have to agree with Eric here. I work at the same company Eric works for and was in the field for 7 years before taking various other positions. I can guarantee you I've seen hard drives take a PC down. Typical hard drive failures will allow the motherboard to boot, you see the RAM check and then you get the dreaded "No O/S found" or some similar error. Not as often but I've seen hard drive crashes where nothing will happen except for a blinking cursor as soon as power is applied or sometimes nothing at all.

Guy400
08-27-2005, 07:01 AM
On a side note, dude, you shoulda got a Dell...:D

I bought a Dell for my home PC because I worked on computers all day at work and the last thing I wanted to do was work on my home one. A few weeks ago we had a power surge during a storm and my PC wouldn't power up at all. I had 110vac at the power plug but only 5vdc coming out of the supply. I unplugged all the cards, RAM, HD, etc. to no avail. I called Dell, explained the problem and within 4 days I had a Dell contractor at my house replacing the power supply and motherboard for good measure at no charge to me.

zeppelin
08-27-2005, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
You press the power up button and it sounds like it is going to start but 3 seconds later it goes beep beeeeep and wont go any further. Iv tried a diffrent monitor and power supply. The other monitor reads "No signal" and usually the monitor light will turn orange stateing that its in a form of idle, but it stays green and the buttons on the monitor do nothing.. Contrast.. color.. etc

Everything is plugged in right. I opened her up, the fans are turning. Havent messed with anything.. programs.. etc

It was working when I left this morning for school and when I came home and turned the monitor on it said "No Signal"
okay now you hve to get some comp. repair books and look up error codes, the beep thing is your computer trying to tell you whats wrong

omaits
08-27-2005, 08:51 AM
right on about the beep codes. Each type of error has a different sequence of beeps...kinda like morse code. check the documentation on your motherboard and see what the beeps mean.

Anytime I have experience beep codes, it was related to RAM. With the clicking aside, this is a very likely cause of your problem.

zephead400ex
08-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Motherboard, Ram, or the video card is most likely causing the issue. Do you have any idea what type of motherboard you have? What version of Windows are you using?

Exactly, what do the beeps sound like? 3 long beeps? 1 short, 1 long, 1 short beep? Possibly 1 very short, 3 long (may only sound like 3 beeps)?