PDA

View Full Version : Clark gas tank insert leaks fuel?

Jackie
08-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Only a year old , and the 5.5 gal 400EX tank leaks gas at an insert that’s at half level. Clark said they can’t fix it, but, would sell me a new tank at a discount. Good money after bad? They gave me three months to think about it.
Anybody have the same problem with Clark (leaky inserts and poor customer relations)?

Trying to design a repair; any ideas? Can’t find something that will stick to the tank material. What sticks to Teflon (PTFE)? If there was something that would stick, I could fill the insert up with it.

Should have read the fine print on the "Clark Manufacturing" web site: "Clarke products are NOT designed, manufactured, distributed, licensed or endorsed by American Honda Motor Co. Inc." That says it all.

Last week, White Brothers sent me a replacement core for the one that rusted out on my pipe. Never even took my credit card number, and I had the pipe three years! That floored me. Clark could learn something from WB.

tt.

this is posted on behalf of timmy tim
he knows I'm on the site more than he is.
please any ideas on the sticky stuff.

Jackie
08-26-2005, 01:53 PM
bump:D

300exOH
08-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Does the insert screw into the tank? If so some teflon tape might do it

zeppelin
08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
i dont understand why you cant just get another insert

prepracing
08-26-2005, 06:55 PM
what "insert" are u talking about :confused: with as much stuff that is out there to repair automobile gas tanks I would say theres something that would work on yours. My clark is 5years old and I've never had any leaks or problems

Pappy
08-26-2005, 08:48 PM
marine grade epoxy will seal damn near anything plastic. if the insert can be surrounded with it i cant imagine it leaking. we have used it to seal actual plastic gast tanks before.

Jackie
08-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks to everyone whom responded to this thread I have forwarded to tiny tim your great ideas on how to seal this tank.
ride safe
play safe
:)