PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a truck/car....?

blasterkiller14
08-25-2005, 08:04 PM
I want to do like a 3" drop on my truck. Its a solid axle front/rear with coil springs up front and leaf springs in the rear....but anyway....is it safe to use a torch to heat up the coil spring so that it will compress and drop the truck. I dont want to do this unless there are no negatives to lowering a car this way. Im planning on lowering the back with lwering blocks and u-bolts....comments about this are greatly appreciated.:confused:

derekhonda
08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
no its not safe, and no its not cool

ridin4life05
08-25-2005, 08:09 PM
i think it would be awesome. but dont heat up the coil springs. just buy different ones.

hessianmx111
08-25-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't know much about dropping a straight axle front truck but I know that heating up the coils is definately not safe and will ride like total ****. The blocks are fine to use for the back and should ride almost like stock, atleast mine does with a 3 inch block in the back. I reccomend using all Belltech Components for the drop. Here's a pic of my truck 2/3 Spindle/Block Drop.

blasterkiller14
08-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Okay thanks guys, I thought it was a bad idea, it sounded like a bad idea...I just wanted to make sure before I went and did it

quadrcr161
08-25-2005, 08:29 PM
yes, bad idea, very bad idea.

edit, there are always rigth ways and a wrong way to lower/lift a vehicle, and blocks/heating coils isnt the right way either. 3 inch blocks and over can be dangerous. the right way is usually expensive.

450 Racer R
08-25-2005, 09:21 PM
there's nothing wrong or dangerous about using blocks. as long as you don't buy a universal kit from autozone or something and use something that's made for your truck you'll be fine. look into getting some spindles or new coils for the front. what truck do you have? solid axle front end sounds like 4wd to me. I wouldn't recommend lowering a 4wd.

hessianmx111
08-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
yes, bad idea, very bad idea.

edit, there are always rigth ways and a wrong way to lower/lift a vehicle, and blocks/heating coils isnt the right way either. 3 inch blocks and over can be dangerous. the right way is usually expensive.
Just wondering, but what is dangerous about blocks? I read up on s10forum alot before purchasing anything and they seem to think they are ok, but of course leaf springs would be the better idea, but I've never heard of them being dangerous.

quadrcr161
08-25-2005, 09:37 PM
some times, with blocks the u-bolts can stretch or come loose, you need to keep an eye on them. they can also be damaged by hitting things and the road drop offs. also to go lower people might remove a few leafs to drop the truck some more, but the leafs can de-arch and break. also the blocks can shift and move the rear end over to one side, esp if you havent shortened your drive shaft, and they can also shove the tailstock of youre drive shaft into the trans and cause problems with your tranny,(or anytime you lower your truck you need it shortened) if you install blocks you need them angled and put them in correct and check them every 500-1000 miles.

the best thing to do is use a de-arched leaf pack for the right drop, and adjust it with 1 or 2 inch block if needed, and keen an eye on them. also running the correct drop shocks can make the ride even better,

TheX1992
08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
When I had my Jeep and was lifting it, I purchased a cheap shackle lift kit. I figured getting 1.75" out of a cheap lift is nice, and why isn't everyone else doing it that way? When I did that, I noticed that my steering system, brake lines, and driveshaft angle all had changed. When you want to do something, buy the complete kit, not the cheap way out. There is a reason it is expensive. The cheap kits will cost the same as the expensive ones by the time you get it completed and safe.

I havn't heard much about the blocks. If you have a solid front axle, chances are you have a 4x4 (you havn't said otherwise). In your case with the lift blocks, you would proably be LIFTING your rear end instead of lowering it. Look in the back at your axle and leaf springs. If the leaf springs are on TOP, you will LIFT the truck. Now if your leaf springs are on BOTTOM, you will then LOWER the truck when you add blocks.

Some examples of using blocks as the cheap way out is the chance of you needing different length shocks, brake lines, re-align your driveshaft, you just never know.

I would really reccommend BellTech if you are doing this to your truck. I have never used it personally, but I have heard nothing but good reviews about it.

blasterkiller14
08-25-2005, 10:25 PM
The truck I have is a Jeep Comanche...its a solid axle front but its not 4x4. And the rear leaf springs are mounted underneath the axle...I dont think im even gonna lower it now so it doesnt matter...I was just asking because all I can find are front springs to LIFT the truck not lower it...and I know all you people with Jeeps probably think im stupid for wanting to lower a Jeep but I doubt ill ever take it off road so it would be a waste of money to put a lift kit on it and huge tires. Ill probably leave it at stcok ride height....would it hurt do heat up the front springs to just drop it 1" or 2"????....but thanks guys for all the comments:rolleyes:

quadrcr161
08-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by blasterkiller14
would it hurt do heat up the front springs to just drop it 1" or 2"????....but thanks guys for all the comments:rolleyes:

yea, you can make the springs/leafs brittle and they can break on you, also you will get an uneven lowering. wth the straight axle front, you need to check for clearance to make sure nothing hits the oilpan and the axle will hit the frame and cause a rough ride, loud ride and can really mess with handling once the axle bottoms out against the frame. it will also give you a springy feel since you changed the metals structure.

the jeep comanche isnt a bad vehicle but leave it stock, thats the way its designed and better off for everyday use, or the manufacture wouldnt have done it.

RaptorRacer45
08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah leave it stock height if ur just gonna Cruise.....sorry but i would hate 2 see a dropped Comanche, it would make me sick.....I Drive a great 1 and have a passion for em:D

blasterkiller14
08-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Yea, I think its gonna stay stock...:p

Out_Sider
08-26-2005, 09:46 PM
yeah, lowering a 4 wheel drive vehical is DIFFICULT and EXPENSIVE. mainly because its not just the coils that need attention. although it can be done, the price doesn't quite justify it in my opinion. but just remember, anything is possible w/ $ and a good mind set.

rideordie33
08-26-2005, 10:12 PM
lift it fat bitc***S cant jump