PDA

View Full Version : Tires or Shocks?

Aughtx
08-25-2005, 03:16 PM
After 13 years without a quad I just bought another 86 250r for $25 more than the one I sold in 1992. The plastic is ugly but the engine screams, even more than I remember. Another thing I remember is how I was able to easily get the front wheels in the air to clear obstacles. On this 250r I am having some trouble and thought It might be the shocks at first since they are stock. But I also noticed the newer turf tamers were spinning on hard pack when racing through the gears. With all those close knobs I am wondering how well they are hooking up. I am thinking about replacing the shocks first and maybe go with Holeshots on the front and rear. But like I said been out of this for 13 years so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

86-250Rnut
08-25-2005, 03:33 PM
IMO you can get any tire on an R and still spin it anywhere with the power of that motor. i think the shocks should be fine but id get new shocks just for the comfort then id get some new tires.
Gratz on the new R and welcome to exriders!
Mitch:macho

Aughtx
08-25-2005, 03:38 PM
If I recall correctly I had Spyders on the previous R and they where huge.

86-250Rnut
08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
spyder tracks???
my friend has them on his rappy and there iffy. i like my holeshots better.
mitch:macho

Aughtx
08-25-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm definatly not going back to the Spyder's. They got popular back when they used to run the Blackwater race. The fronts on this R are stock and need to go. I will at least put Holeshots on the front for now and keep running the Turf Tamers on the rear. I might get the raqcing bug again and do some Cross Country so I would like to make improvements in that route.

Jester
08-25-2005, 05:52 PM
I'd reccomend razrs or even better are razr 2's

I run razr2 rears, and razr1 fronts. you can see my R here.

http://ohiomafiariders.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1582

baker250r
08-26-2005, 08:41 PM
notch out the tamers.... thats wut I do for MX... I think it works great for both soft and hard packed... Depending on wut width tamers u got,

Aughtx
08-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by baker250r
notch out the tamers.... thats wut I do for MX... I think it works great for both soft and hard packed... Depending on wut width tamers u got,

I was thinking the same thing. Whats a good cutter?

stever250r
08-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Ive seen people use the trimmer that is used to shoe horses. Sharp and gives you good leverage. Im sure there are better methods but this one can be picked up at your local Southern States or Tractor Supply fo fairly cheap.....assuming you have one close to you.

Good luck with the R.. Im in the process of building one from scratch. Estimate completion sometime around May of 2006.

baker250r
08-27-2005, 05:30 PM
well... the first time i did it with a razr blade... THAT SUCKED!!!

the next try, We used a cutter of some kind that is like a cy cutter, but it is straight across instead of how a regular cy cutter is.

86-250Rnut
08-27-2005, 07:24 PM
get a pice of thin steel with a sharp end and heat it red hot and burn right threw it
mitch:macho