PDA

View Full Version : comp readings

e gracie
08-25-2005, 02:34 PM
comp readings

long time no post i know.
my trx is getting through some oil just changed the oil seals few hrs ago, could some one enlighten me as to what sort of compression reading i should be getting?
i am around the 130psi mark wide open throttle,
just concerned i may of damged the rings allthough it still goes like stink and there is no blue smoke evident, but no visible oil leaks either
weird one.
eg

turboTony
08-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Why would you think you damaged the rings if you have no symptoms?

450ss
08-25-2005, 06:11 PM
maybe im wrong but i thought you check comp with a guage screwed into the spark plug hole and then you kick it over? is that how you are checking it

turboTony
08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 450ss
maybe im wrong but i thought you check comp with a guage screwed into the spark plug hole and then you kick it over? is that how you are checking it
True. But, you should have the throttle wide open when you check compression. At least on a car anyway. I don't see why it shouldn't carry over to a quad.

Is he just worried because his quad is going through oil? Mine goes through a little after long or hard rides. Not a lot but a little bit.
I think it's normal. I've seen others post about it also.

450ss
08-25-2005, 09:04 PM
mine does the samething and its only when im really riding hard and its not much that im losing

e gracie
08-25-2005, 11:45 PM
morning!! or it is over here.

yes i am doing it through spark plug hole,,concerned because its burning oil, or losing oil.. but i can not tell from where, no visible leaks, hence checking the readings,in case a ring change is req.. now been advised on comp readings,,any place between 120/130psi is fine so that isnt a problem for sure, hope fully it was the valve seals leaking then, and by changing them i have cured it, will know today

08-26-2005, 08:59 AM
these engines are known to go through a little bit of oil (especially when new) while you ride. make sure you check the oil every time before you ride.