PDA

View Full Version : throttle twist grip or specialized thumb throttle?

450rcasualrider
08-24-2005, 11:33 PM
I have a stock thumb throttle on my 450r and i want a twist grip, always have had them on my parents work quads and on dirt bikes, but i've had a friend who had a twist throttle installed on her old blaster and it messed it up bad, did something and let a bunch of air into the engine or something. I've also seen some mod's for thumb throttles so you use your palm more. my friend with the blaster her wrist gives out on her and i thought something where she can hang on with her whole hand would help that any tips on preventing that (wrist problems) would be great, it's only her throttle hand that gives her trouble.
People always say the thing about twist throttles is you can flip easier i know all about that.
Also all the twist throttles for the 450 i've seen are way expensive, any good substitutes you may know of? and any tips on install would be great to-thanks

wilkin250r
08-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Twist-throttle conversions are very common for ATVs. The ONLY time I can see a twist throttle causing problems with the engine is if it was improperly installed, or a make-shift version and not properly designed.

What do you mean by "all the twist throttles for the 450 i've seen are way expensive"? What is your definition of expensive? I haven't looked at the 450r, but most all twist-throttle conversions I've seen are only about $50

450rcasualrider
08-25-2005, 10:43 AM
well i haven't looked around too much but the shop where i bought my quad had them for over $200, probably because it's from the shop, and it was a throttle specifically for the 450 made by honda. Should i worry about useing a different brand on it or should i try to stick with honda parts? any websites you guys would suggest for inexpensive parts?

thump4863
08-25-2005, 11:02 AM
You can get a motion pro cr pull for around 50 bucks....thats what i use and have used on all my quads. NO problems whatsoever out of mine.

Smoker
08-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I have had twist throttles on all of my quads and love them, I think it offers a lot more control since you have a full grip instead of some fingers wrapped partially around the grip. You do have to get used to them but once you do you'll see what I mean. Anyway, I have a motion pro on my 450r and I didn't like the kit because it came with a CR style twist grip, the think broke after two rides. I bought a vortex style throttle which a better design, and then had to buy a new throttle to fit, I'm very happy with it now. The point being, shop what you'll be satisfied with. I've only ever seen the kits for about $50, dealers are stealers.