PDA

View Full Version : fouling plugs and engine keep loading up

TheFontMaster
08-24-2005, 08:18 PM
So I got the throttle cable adjusted so that the motor would idle on its oun. So i let the motor idle for about 4 or 5 minutes to get the engine nice and warmed up. So it was idling fine, then I go to crack the throttle, and the engine loads up and dies. I got it to start once more and it did the same thing, and now it's not starting. I know it's not starting because the plug is fauled, but I was wondering what it is that is causing this. I was thinking that my jetting is way too rich.

Dave83
08-24-2005, 08:33 PM
What pilot jet you got and check the airscrew.

TheFontMaster
08-24-2005, 08:45 PM
The airscrew is about 1 1/2 turns out, and is there any way to check the pilot jet without taking the carb apart, I figured I would have to pull apart the carb tomorow to check what size main jet, and needle I have in there.

Dave83
08-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah,you gotta pull the carb to get to the pilot.

TheFontMaster
08-24-2005, 08:52 PM
I'll get the numbers for you tomorow, but would I be right in thinking that it's running too rich?

Dave83
08-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Rich is a def possibility.Choke sticking could be another.What carb you running?

TheFontMaster
08-25-2005, 09:09 AM
It's the stock Kehien pj.

beerock
08-25-2005, 08:36 PM
check the pilot, or just get a new carb, good excuse for a 38 a/s or a 39mm

TheFontMaster
08-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by beerock
check the pilot, or just get a new carb, good excuse for a 38 a/s or a 39mm

While I would love a new aftermarket carb, it just isn't in my budget right now, I mean the quad isn't even finished. The manual refered to a jet as the slow jet, is that just a different name for the pilot jet?

TheFontMaster
09-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Well I think it only took me 2 weeks to getting around to taking apart the carb. The pilot jet is a 42, and the main is a 155.

dynofox
09-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Did you try turning the air screw out (leans low speed circut) to see if that helped? I had to drop a size on my pilot since it would foul plugs when I wanted to putt around in tight woods.

TheFontMaster
09-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by dynofox
Did you try turning the air screw out (leans low speed circut) to see if that helped? I had to drop a size on my pilot since it would foul plugs when I wanted to putt around in tight woods.

I had the air screw set to I belive 1 1/4 turns out, and then a little more. 1 1/4 is what I think the stock setting was. I thought that tuning it out richened it up?

Jersey450R
09-03-2005, 11:15 AM
dont let an R idle ever. Your plug was gone the 1st 2 minutes after idling. Start er up, and blip the throttle constantly, and take off after about 45 seconds. Then, open er up through the gears a couple times and you'll be set. The 250R never likes to be idled, put around, or ran like a girl. Let her rip all the time (of course with out blowing it up) and she will treat you fine. Your plug in an R should last about a month or so with regular riding. Beleive me, i've had plenty of experience with 250R's and our method works everytime! good luck.

or it just be too rich. :rolleyes:

250r4life
09-03-2005, 11:59 AM
what the crap are you talking about? my 250r idles fine, and i can also put around and i dont foul plugs... if youve got it set up right you dont have those problems... i woulda never jacked around with the cable, i woulda fixed the problem for real. get your bike tuned in, dont settle for these quick fixes... you want your bike to treat you good, treat her good. when im on mine i ride 'er like its the last ride of my life, but when im not ridin her i take great care of her, and thats why she takes such good care of me... speaking of, i'm going right now

Aallron
09-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Please explian what you mean when you say that you got the throttle cable adjusted to get the engine to idle on its own.

dynofox
09-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I had the air screw set to I belive 1 1/4 turns out, and then a little more. 1 1/4 is what I think the stock setting was. I thought that tuning it out richened it up?

I'm actually at 2 1/4 turns out (that was stock for the 86 ATC R) and running a size 40 pilot vs the stock 42. I putt around on mine all the time, the places I ride are very tight wooded trails where you rarely see anything over 3rd gear so riding like a mad man isn't really an option. Once you have your carb tuned right it should idle fine, mine does at least. I don't even think about riding it until the jug is warm to the touch, don't want a cold seizure. I don't know where you guys get the idea you have to ride a 2-stroke wide open all the time, if your carb is jetted right you should be able to ride at any rpm.

TheFontMaster
09-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Aallron
Please explian what you mean when you say that you got the throttle cable adjusted to get the engine to idle on its own.

I adjusted the thing on the throttle cable, so that it held the throttle open just a little bit so that it would idle, I know that isn't the proper fix, i just wanted to see what I could do.

Now that we have heard plenty of oppinions on how to ride a 2 stroke, can we get back to the main topic, where do I go from here. Should I step down to a 40 pilot jet? I will pick up a couple new spark plugs monday, and get the carb together and see if turning the idle more helps it.

BLACKeR
09-05-2005, 07:46 AM
wow some of this advice is pretty scary! no wonder everyone is gettign 450s saying their Rs break so much. 2-strokes need more work to get jetted properly, but when they are jetter properly, you wont have any trouble with them. the guy that said not to idle Rs at all just blip them and go, must have a garrage full of top ends, that he can just keep swapping . i always idle my R for a couple min. till the jug is warm then i rev it up a bit and take a slow rip around a little before i really get thrashing. i change a plug once a year just because i feel bad not doing it. . if its loadign up that bad that quick, you might have to go down 2 pilots but start with one. some carbs simply have trouble idling, but adjusting your throttle cable should be your last resort, for one it can be dangerous riding with a tight cable.