PDA

View Full Version : Lightening Flywheel?

Wheelie
06-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Who should I have do it, and what kind of turn around time should I expect? How much does it cost? Should I install the Sparks advance key while I have it apart?

Mods are in my sig, the internals of the motor are stock.

Thanks,
Jeremiah

06-07-2002, 08:17 AM
I had mine done at rocky ridge racing. Turn around time was about 3 days and it cost me $150. I think magic racing also lightens flywheels for around $100..

JabberJaw
06-07-2002, 08:32 AM
The stock flywheel weighs 6 lbs. .... I had 1 lb. removed, is that a fair amount?

06-07-2002, 08:37 AM
Actually jabber I can't remember how much they removed off of mine,,,I've seen what it looks like and it appears to be more than 1 lb maybe 2 lb at the most..

PsychoDave
06-07-2002, 08:39 AM
DO YOU THINK IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE....?

yellowrider
06-07-2002, 09:29 AM
what is the disadvanatages of lighting up the flywheel?

what is it supposed to do?

what can you compare it to in mods? like did it give you more than a pipe, bore, etc.

someone try to explan it to me last night i think screamin shee off the chat room and i was total lost ....

i am jsut wondering what is the point and doing this well it make anything weaker ? since you are shaving somehting off ?

oh yeah if you bougt the 4 year warranty would they know you had the fly wheel shaved? like a cylinder wall like i did on my 300ex that caused oil to leak from the motor.

06-07-2002, 11:46 AM
A lightened flywheel just allows the motor to rev faster,,since the flywheel is lighter. It allows you to go into corners a gear high if you want and it won't bog down as bad,,,it's also great for hillclimbing,,you can now go up hills in a different gear than you did before. It's great for MX racing I think...is it a must modification,,,NO. But it's just one of those things that can be done just to get a little more edge over the competition.. I don't think it would be covered under the warranty either,,you can tell if it's been shaved,,,unless your blind..:eek:

Evan
06-07-2002, 12:34 PM
Rico, is it worth the 150? any side effects, downsides?

06-07-2002, 01:07 PM
I don't think it is worth $150 maybe around $100,,,it helps with holeshots,,coming out of turns a gear high. Only downfall is if the flywheel isn't torqued down correctly it can come loose and jack up the stator coil. My buddies did that to him.

Juggalo
06-07-2002, 02:20 PM
i heard shaving the flywheel makes it easier to stall..is that true?

Burden7
06-07-2002, 02:54 PM
This isn't the same application, but I lightened the flywheel on my 350x and before I did it, I called ProFab Atv and they told me that they take off 10 ounces. I race flattrack and it helped me come out of the corners with a lot more revs. I would think you would be able to shave more off of a 400ex because it has a starter, but I'm not for sure. According to ProFab's website, they will do it for $65.

06-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
i heard shaving the flywheel makes it easier to stall..is that true?

I've never ever had that problem,,,sounds like hog wash ta me..:eek: I guess if your not on the gas it's possible,,or if ya ride like a she la..:eek:

06-07-2002, 03:12 PM
yes there is a big downfall to shaving the flywheel , it's like having a bomb under your foot . you risk the chance of it exspoding ! the more you take off the more chance . also the weight of the flywheel acts as momentum for the motor .when you lighten it the motor is more likly to stall . weigh the pros and cons and do what you think .

There are many better ways to get hp out of your ex . shaving your flywheel should be a last resort.

Wheelie
06-07-2002, 03:20 PM
Shaving the flywheel will have no effect on the hp output of the motor, it just allows it to rev faster, which translates to faster acceleration.

The only way the flywheel would exspode:p is improper machining work, or taking off too much material.

JhallettEX
06-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Awww what do we have here, Another Bartlet Racing post. Guys pay attn. this guy is good. Do anything he says, he knows everything.

JabberJaw
06-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by bartlettracing
yes there is a big downfall to shaving the flywheel , it's like having a bomb under your foot . you risk the chance of it exspoding ! the more you take off the more chance . also the weight of the flywheel acts as momentum for the motor .when you lighten it the motor is more likly to stall . weigh the pros and cons and do what you think .

There are many better ways to get hp out of your ex . shaving your flywheel should be a last resort.

If shaving the flywheel were so dangerous and unproductive, that would be saying all the really excellent mechanics in the world don't know what they are doing. Shaving the flywheel has been going on for ages. All the racecars do it, its one of the hopup upgrades in most race video games, and is offered all over the web as a service. I doubt it will explode.

JhallettEX
06-07-2002, 04:53 PM
If Bartlett says it will happen, it will happen. Really listen to this kid.

JabberJaw
06-07-2002, 05:03 PM
I believe its possible but highly unlikely. I looked all over the web and could not find a single incident of a motorcycle having the flywheel explode, but I did find over 500 places to have it done by a professional.

FullBore52
06-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Bartlett, your a moron... :huh

I think I got 2 and a half pounds off of mine...maybe more...