PDA

View Full Version : Elka rear shock problems..

AnthonyWhite
08-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I have a 400ex that I race in the MHSC series. The elka shocks that I have on there are very very stiff. The rear shock has been revalved within the past 4 monthes or so. I put a new 450R rear shock on the 400 for now. Are the elka shocks supose to be stiff? My friend has custom axis shocks that are really soft and absorb everything. Do you think getting the rear shock redone again might help or maybe it needs to be resprung? Any suggestions will help. I feel like I am going to hurt myself with the elka the way it is now, thats why I put the 450R shock on there. Sorry so long.

Pappy
08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
sounds to me like getting the elka re sprung would be the ticket

400exrider707
08-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyWhite
I have a 400ex that I race in the MHSC series. The elka shocks that I have on there are very very stiff. The rear shock has been revalved within the past 4 monthes. I put a new 450R rear shock on the 400 (stock 400 linkage) yesterday but I dont have near the travel I use to have . Also the 450R rear shock seems a little stiff. Is there anything I can do to help soften up the 450R rear shock, like change to the 450R linkage? (the rebound and softness has already been adjusted) Are the elka shocks supose to be stiff? Do you think getting the rear shock redone again might help or maybe it needs to be resprung? Any suggestions will help. I feel like I am going to hurt myself with the elka the way it is now, thats why I put the 450R shock on there. Sorry so long.

So you put a stock 450R rear shock on your 400? Its actually shorter than the 400s stock rear shock, I would take that off and have your rear elka rebvalved and resprung for you weight and riding style.

AnthonyWhite
08-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Yea thats what I would like to do but I dont have the money right now. Plus I didnt know if getting it resprung would help. Its already been revalved fairly recently and the shock oil is still good.

Rico
08-25-2005, 04:40 AM
A lighter main spring on the rear should do it, no need to revalve or change the oil again.

Call up elka, ask for Yann and explain it to him.

quad2xtreme
08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Did Elka redo the shock or someone else? You can ship it to Elka at a NY address (saves shipping costs) and they can check it out to make sure it is within specs using their equipment.

Even if you don't have the money to redo, you will know if it is correct or not. I am sure Martin would hold on to it until you had the money to pay for any changes that were required. Chances are, you are talking about less than $150 to get this fixed. I could walk out the door tomorrow morning and make $150 by the end of the day just walking down the street performing odd jobs for my neighbors.

SRH
08-25-2005, 04:40 PM
elka usually stand behind there stuff call them up and explain how the shock isnt really right for you and see what they say...as long as you bought it new... if you didnt buy it direct or from a dealer you know well they could of just gave u a shock not setup right they had layin around.. they ask alot of info, your prefernce soft medium or stiff and so on when you order shocks...

AnthonyWhite
08-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Ok, I raised the ride height on the rear and front springs. the height adjustment is set about in the mid to mid top regon. This made the rear shock seem softer or smoother but I dont like how high the bike sits now. IS this an indication the springs are shot?

400exrider707
08-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyWhite
Ok, I raised the ride height on the rear and front springs. the height adjustment is set about in the mid to mid top regon. This made the rear shock seem softer or smoother but I dont like how high the bike sits now. IS this an indication the springs are shot?

what is mid and mid to top? You need to sit on the quad and have someone with a tape measuer figure out the height of your frame to the ground for the front and back. What kind of riding are you doing, that will reflect on what height you want your quad to sit at. Adjusting the ride height doesn't really change a LOT of how the shock rides, but some yes. Your biggest adjustments are going to be your compression and rebound adjustments on the rear shock. If you have elka recs on the front they are just strictly ride height adjustable.

AnthonyWhite
08-25-2005, 09:51 PM
i have elka sport/raceing on front and back. and by mid to mid top i ment the little nut thing that changes the ride height is in the upper mid portion of the shock body. I have changed the compression all the way to soft and the backed it off a click so it was in a click not inbetween a click.

QuadJunkies
08-26-2005, 12:31 AM
I had the complete opposite problem and wanted mine stiffer, it wasnt as stiff as I would have liked it, I tried a few things they suggested and still felt too soft to me, so they shipped me out another spring and I might add they done a 24 hr ship too at NO CHARGE!:blah: Elkas is #1 in my book and takes care of there customers!! Give them a call, they may have some suggestions for you to try before you have to maybe go that route ;)

Rico
08-26-2005, 06:33 AM
You need to set your ride hieght to 8.5 - 9 inches at both the front and rear of the frame, with you on the quad. I think your turning, tuning and messing with too many things and you have your entire shock setup WAY off to be honest.

AnthonyWhite
08-26-2005, 01:41 PM
So ride heigth is set to approx 9 inch in front and rear with me on it. Rebound is set according to prefrence and riding style. Valve adjustment is set to softest possible setting on front and rear. Ride quality is still to stiff. Next step would be to send them off to elka and get them checked out and resprung? Or will they send out new springs so I can do them myself? I have noticed the problem starts when the top two springs get compressed there is a hard spot (starting on the third - biggest spring) and on the rear once the first spring is copressed it hits a hard spot. Basically I just want to know if there is anything I can do myself or if I just have to get some money and send all of them off.

400exrider707
08-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Rico
You need to set your ride hieght to 8.5 - 9 inches at both the front and rear of the frame, with you on the quad. I think your turning, tuning and messing with too many things and you have your entire shock setup WAY off to be honest.

yeah thats what I was thinking as well.... :ermm: