PDA

View Full Version : ok here is a good one

quad9
08-24-2005, 02:53 PM
after washing the R i was taking it apart, i loosened the carrier bolts and water pores out of it. what are you to do, every time you wash it, you loosen the bolts???, other wise water will sit in there.:confused:

duke416ex
08-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Well, either you go through a lot of water when you ride or you held the pressure washer around the carrier for a while. Either way, you would end up with water and if you don't drain it or stop doing which ever caused it you will replace bearings very often. I was going through a set every month, I finally just stopped playing in the mud, brake pads went out in a week. It is a lot cheaper now.

quad9
08-24-2005, 03:12 PM
ya we cross a creek everytime we ride, guess i better stop it???

440ex kid
08-24-2005, 03:30 PM
You could drill a hole in the swingarm and install a grease fitting in the carrier. Then after you wash in just pump it full of new grease and it will push the water out.

sparky450AR
08-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by 440ex kid
You could drill a hole in the swingarm and install a grease fitting in the carrier. Then after you wash in just pump it full of new grease and it will push the water out.

This is the best way to handle the problem.....I bought a RAD carrier which are gauranteed for life.....the bearings were shot within six months......These carriers come with a grease fitting...when i talked to RAD they said it is very important to grease the carrier before you ride and soon after you wash it. Since then the carrier has held up great.

quad9
08-24-2005, 06:08 PM
i dont want to do that my quad is only 2 months old

ZRider400
08-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by quad9
i dont want to do that my quad is only 2 months old

its better to catch it while they are new...and keep them lubricated,
than to finally see that they are rusted out after alot of use, and no greasing.

08-24-2005, 07:41 PM
If you ride through a lot of water, I would suggest you pull a part your rear linkage and grease all the needle bearings. Also I would pull the swingarm bolt and grease the needle bearings in the swingarm. I did my quad the day I got it. 18 months later when I tore it down to freshin it up the swingarm bolt slid right out. I have heard of horror stories trying to get a stuck one out.

quad9
08-25-2005, 04:05 AM
it is compltly apart right now, the swing arm bearings were dry:mad: so i will be cleaning, and greesing everything.