PDA

View Full Version : The best mini quad for racing

newyorkboy
08-23-2005, 02:13 PM
What mini quad is the best for racing harescrambles.My son is 10 years old and is about 5ft tall and weighs about 100lbs.The quad has to be under 90cc to race his class.

scott strong
08-23-2005, 07:48 PM
2005 Dinli or newer as they have the dual a-arms factory and the frame is much stronger than the Kase, Polaris or Eton style. You don't have to gusset the frame at all. My son broke his Kasea last year 9 times and the frame was gusseted all over. He is running the Dinli stock frame and has had no breaks and he really runs it hard. He is 5-6 and 125lbs.

We have two of them and they are great.

03400EX_Nacs
08-23-2005, 08:49 PM
umm... an outlaw (baster frame and 80cc two stroke dirtbike motor) they are pretty bad :P

Pappy
08-23-2005, 08:55 PM
we have been running a TRX90 and have had zero problems with it. we give up a bit of speed to the strokes but more then make up for it in dependability.

if we had to make a switch it would be a kasea that is properly set up for racing.

newnick
08-24-2005, 03:45 AM
If you look around a bit you'll hear about some new mini's coming soon that may be more competetive. But it depends on whats being run where you would be racing and how well your child rides. My boy races in South Texas and in his class he's about the only cvt machine left. The Cobra and Honda's are more popular, with the dependability going to the Honda's right now.

reese5171
08-30-2005, 08:13 AM
so that sweet eton is a dinosaur how sad a bike like your would be one of the hottest on the track around here

we are thinking of getting a new bike whats the hot settup in texas

i asume the hondas you are talking about are highly modified

newnick
08-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Yes it's sad for sure. Of course I'm not sure about my boy's riding abilities, he doesn't get enough seat time and I know he's extreamly cautious. The Honda's are quite nice. About 9g's nice. One is a Fisher framed, fullsize suspension, suspect looking motor piece of work. I don't think it belongs on the track in this class but I ran up against a brick wall when I started asking questions. One of the kids has a real nice Honda that's legal and runs well, with more practice he'll be up front. The two Cobra's are really hot, the boy's on those are really good riders, one of them did well at LL's. I don't know what to do about next year, I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on this Eton and I sure ain't buying a new quad. Maybe I could move, lol.

Arctic Cat Dad
08-30-2005, 12:16 PM
I myself like the new Hetrick quad they built. But I have been thinking of moving him up to the 90 class and go with a Honda 90. I spend so much time and money on keeping a 2 smoke running! I know a good rider on a 4 stroke can win races. I need to make the same choice myself. Because he's already screaming for more power! But the Hetrick quads are #1 to us. They are the best quad for the price. If you think of it how much have WE spent on the mini we built. Six grand for a race quad is pretty cheep. But this is just my thinking other might see differ! But no matter what we are gonna spend the cash and do it. Thats what makes racing so much fun. Whatever you choose ride safe and have fun. But most of all keep it pinned!

newnick
08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
There was a kid on a Hetrick sponsored 90 a couple races back from La. and he was very fast, his last name is Seale, not sure about his first name. He did really well and I was impressed the way he rode. I believe he came in third behind two Honda's.

mcvay20
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
I would go with the honda 90. My son finished 3rd last year in the GNC nationals at 89.6 cc's and finished 2nd this year at 124.8 cc's
with a couple of break downs that were dads fault due to helping others,but thats racing and dependability is the key.
We do all of our own motor work and everything on the quad as far as that go's.
A lot of it has to do with the rider, but everybody has there own personal preference so I guess its what each person likes.

2004 GNC 90 PROD 3rd
2005 GNC 90 PROD 2nd

Charlie McVay
McVay Racing

fastmini
09-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Walker has raced XC for 9 yrs. now, 7 on an LT 80 and 2 on a Hetrick 90 Kasea. We have had only one major failure with the Kasea which was transmission gear on our first Kasea. The problem was tracked to a batch of 100 gear sets that were substandered. They were recalled, and the problem has disappeared. As for the frame Rich at Hetrick's gusseted ours and we have NEVER had a frame problem. I know the Dinli's have had some transmission problems- no make or model is exempt from problems. My philosophy is a well maintained machine of any brand will perform. As for money spent, I believe the Kasea is a good bang for your buck.