PDA

View Full Version : blaster vibration

marksblaster
08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey all,

I picked up a 96 blaster the other day that runs great but at high rpm's it will nearly shake your hands off the grips. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Thanks Mark

400exmatt
08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Put lead in the bars they used to do that to quadzillas..

flyin#5
08-23-2005, 12:04 PM
easy things first. check the engine mounts and make sure they are tight. next take the flywheel cover off (if your sitting on it, it'l be the left side, plastic cover) and make sure the flywheel nut is on tight, start it with the cover off and make sure it spins nicely.

if it was me id say you have a shot counterbalance gear, or bearing. the gear is towards the top behind the clutch (you have to take the right sidecase off). the pins that hold the gear together (its an anti shock type gear... so it has rubber pieces in it to absorb shock) can come out and cause the gear to fall apart, then your counterbalancer doesnt spin and you get an extra load of vibration.

there are two bearings on each end of the counterbalancer. the one that usually goes out is the one you can see when you take the gear off. if it does go out the balls from the bearing will get into your tranny, and then the whole counterbalancer will have enough play to push itself away from the gear driving the balancer... making it stop working, or work on and off.

if its the bearing you will have to split the cases... which really is a piece of cake.

bradley300
08-23-2005, 08:14 PM
before you do all that, make sure the rubbers on the cooling fins are still on

blasteracer24
08-23-2005, 10:07 PM
the rubbers would effect the bike?

marksblaster
08-23-2005, 10:34 PM
These all sound like possible's, I'll check things out in the morning.
I don't remember seeing the rubbers though. hmmmmm.
Thanks guys, Mark

400exmatt
08-24-2005, 12:46 AM
The fins on the cylinder.

marksblaster
08-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Hello,
Okay, I checked the flywheel nut, it is tight. Started her up and it spun true, the flywheel. Then I checked the rubbers. I am missing the two on the front of the cylinder, and one on the side. The head has the rubbers in it. Will these be enough to make her vibrate severely? I will pull the right side cover off tommorow and check the counter balancer sprocket and bearing. If it's the sprocket, can it be replaced without splitting the cases?
Thanks Mark

bradley300
08-24-2005, 08:41 AM
i would say since thos rubbers cant be real expensive, it would be worth a try to put them all on

marksblaster
08-24-2005, 10:46 AM
I think your right, It just so happens that my buddy's blaster motor is sitting on his work bench just waiting to lend me his rubber peices to try. How cheap does that sound? Thanks mark

flyin#5
08-24-2005, 11:49 AM
if its the gear then yes, it can be changed by just taking the clutch basket off. its a spendy one though. mine fell apart (for the second time), so we machined new pins for it, and used the tig welder to put 2 tiny tack welds on each side of the pin. those rubber pieces dont have that much effect on overall vibration, especially in the way your talking. they mostly they stop vibration from fin to fin, which could cause them to crack off. but if it stops it... well then i guess its a really easy fix. cant hurt to try.

marksblaster
08-25-2005, 07:51 AM
Well, I took the side cover off for a look see. The gear looked fine, and seemed tight. There is a slight bit of play in the shaft when you push up and down on the gear. Theres no movement on the end of the crank. Would the balancer shaft be as tight as the crank??? Also, I put a new kickstarter spring on and wound it tight. Put the cover back on, and when I kicked her over it must have popped out of the hole again. How do you keep it in there once the cover is in place? Thanks Mark

marksblaster
08-25-2005, 08:11 AM
I got to thinking, I wound the spring pretty tight. Probably a little over half turn. Does it even need to be wound or is there enough tention by just putting it in the hole?

flyin#5
08-25-2005, 09:35 AM
doesnt need to be wound, just put it in. if the gears are touching then i guess its not your counterbalancer. was the crank rebuilt lately? maybe someone didnt get it within the tolerances.

marksblaster
08-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I pulled the clutch basket off because it seemed to have a lot of play. Someone put it together without the two washers behind it. Possably my vibration???? I have the washers ordered.