PDA

View Full Version : valve adjust

QuadRacer18
08-22-2005, 08:57 PM
I just put two new intake valves in. do i need to adjust them or are they fine? how do i go about adjusting them, any help is appreciated.

300exOH
08-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Here's everything you need

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

QuadRacer18
08-23-2005, 10:14 AM
well, my engine has already had the valves adjusted about 2 months ago so even though i put two new intake valves in i wouldnt need to adjust them for awhile, right? because your actually adjusting the rocker and sub-rocker arms. am i right????

300exOH
08-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18
well, my engine has already had the valves adjusted about 2 months ago so even though i put two new intake valves in i wouldnt need to adjust them for awhile, right? because your actually adjusting the rocker and sub-rocker arms. am i right????

Not positive but the valves could be slightly different. Remember you are only talking thousandths of an inch. Even if you are only off by 1 or 2 thousandths it could cause problems. Machining tolerances could allow the valves to be slightly off compared to your old ones. I would adjust them just to be sure.

F-16Guy
08-23-2005, 10:33 AM
If you put new valves in, you'll definitely want to at least check them. Put the engine at top dead center and insert a feeler gauge to check the clearance.