PDA

View Full Version : lt250 lt500?

EricB
06-06-2002, 03:42 PM
ok i really want a 2 stroke quad now, i wont be able to get one for a while but...i don't know much about the LTs. i know you guys are going to say get a 250r but they are way over priced imo for what they are, sorry thats just what i think.

anyhow i basicly want a drag/dune bike. i will of course take the 400 to the dunes but i want something that is just dangerously fast, that isn't running on alky. i've never been an lt fan but from things ive been reading they are pretty decent for 2smokes. now, i probably won't get an LT250 but what are the main differences between the 500 and the 250 other than displacement and power? where is a good site to read about these machines? what should i look for on these quads that are prone to go south? any intput is welcome, other than telling me to get an r =P

Razorback
06-06-2002, 04:02 PM
go to www.atvconnection.com and check out the suzuki forum in the forums section. there are some knowledgeable people there about these machines. if you are just wanting to drag, the lt500 is a good choice.

Juggalo
06-06-2002, 05:52 PM
i have 2 good links that i can get for ya that'll describe everything to you but i'm too busy to get em right now, check back later tonite or tommarow morning.

EricB
06-06-2002, 05:55 PM
cool thanks guys, no real good info at atvconnection that i saw.

i really want it for a project bike more or less, from what i've read its a way bad *** drag bike. 500ccs of 2stroke...how can that not be fast =)

Guy400
06-06-2002, 06:20 PM
There's virtually nothing shared between the LT500 and LT250. They look similar but it stops there. It uses a different frame, swingarm, a-arms, etc. Although it did put out much more power it also weighed a lot more. The 500 was roughly 390lbs. versus 328lbs. for the 250 but the HP more than offset the weight deficit.

The only real problem I've ever heard of from the LT500's is a crank problem in the first year models. I don't pay all that much attention to the 500's but I want to say something with a shim used in the crank on the clutch side or something like that.

EricB
06-06-2002, 06:43 PM
so if you had a LT250 with reeds and pipes K&N with proper jets and a she with the same mods, who would win? assuming that its from a stop with optimal traction?

Guy400
06-06-2002, 06:50 PM
I'm going to say the Shee because of the displacement advantage. If you're looking for a duner/drag bike in the 2-stroke flavor than you should almost be strictly looking at the LT500 or the Banshee.

Juggalo
06-06-2002, 10:05 PM
heres the link as promised. it should tell you just about everything you need to know. http://www.offroadhaven.com/ltquad_details.htm

WyoDuner
06-07-2002, 04:17 PM
I would recommend that you look at getting a Banshee. The LT250R is an OK machine but no drag racer. The LT500R is an awesome machine but they do have som issues and are not for the inexperienced; biggest issues were the early models blowing head gaskets and all years having the crank bearing area of the case wearing and sucking air which is an engine killer.

The problem with either of these machines is that they haven't been made for over 10 years and finding a nice one is difficult, expensive and rare.

A Honda 250R is in the same situation; haven't been made for over 10 years and you either buy something that is beat to death or very expensive.

Get a Banshee if you want a good duning machine; prices are reasonable, they are abundant and still in production.

EricB
06-07-2002, 04:37 PM
hey juggalo thanks for the link dude.

yeah about the shee. well i think that would be more than likely the route i would want to go. my friend has an older one ( don't know the year) but it has a 510 stroker kit with a 6inch extended swing arm, pretty bad...has it setup on alky =) i don't want something that extreme but i think the shee would be better just for the sheer ammount of parts that are availble, oem and after market.