PDA

View Full Version : octane booster!

300exrider05
08-22-2005, 08:26 PM
do any of you think octane booster will give more power and help my 300ex run better if i dont rejet for an exhaust and filter? I ordered a hmf slip on and dont think ill rejet unless i really need to and just ride it.also how hard is it to put new jets in anyway?thanks

blasteracer07
08-22-2005, 08:40 PM
lol u have to rejet you dont want to run to lean jsuty take the float bowl off and its a brass hex unscrew screw new one in and do a plug chop i prolly wont do a plug chip caz it sounds ahrd caz u ahe to cut it and stuff im proly jsut gonna go with a 280 when i get my exhaust

Pvt. Maggot
08-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Octane booster does nothing for preformance. And you MUST rejet when adding a pipe or filter. jetting is easy. If you do not jet your quad it will run like crap and most likely cause something to fail. Do it right.

bwamos
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Aye, not rejetting will actually cause you to loose power when running the new pipe/flter.

Rejet, rejet, rejet.
or.
loose HP, and buy new engine.

your choice. ;)

Octane boster will do nothing for you at all. Save the money and use the cost of one bottle to buy some new jets. ;)

orangeEX
08-26-2005, 10:13 PM
not jetting will cause you to run lean...

and also: high octane fuel will cause you to run lean also...

2004exrider
08-27-2005, 08:16 AM
high octane wont increase performance. high octane allows a high compression engine (12:1 and up) to run w/o detonation/spark nock. using a higher octane on a stock engine might actually make your engine loose a little power. just rejet its pretty easy.

Jimmy

300ex73
08-27-2005, 09:07 AM
300exrider05, rejetting is real easy. Just take the time to do it right. You'll only need to remove the whole float bowl if you're going to be change your pilot jet, which I would recommend doing anyways.

First you'll want to drain the fuel from the carb to make it a little easier. Easiest way, shut the fuel valve off, and stand the quad up to let the fuel drain from the vent hose. Make sure you set it back down on all fours when it's done draining. Next, unbolt your plastics(not as bad as it really sounds). And then unbolt your gas tank. Make sure to carefully remove the fuel feed line from the carburetor. Then pull the tank out of the way. Undo the 2 hoseclamps on the intake tube, and the one on the carburetor boot. Pull your carb loose, and turn it over.

The next step depends on wether or not you're going to replace just the main jet, or the main and pilot jets.

If you're going to do both(which I'd highly recommend), then remove the screws that hold the bowl(4 of them) and carefully pull it out of your way. You'll need a flat head screwdriver to remove the pilot jet, and a 6mm socket to undo the main jet. These are brass, so be very careful not to apply to much torque, as they can break. If you're going to change your pilot jet, I'd recommend around a 40 or 42, I use the 42 in mine. Starts on the first try in cold weather, and I don't even have a choke.

If you're just going to change the main jet, you'll only need a 17mm wrench. You'll notice a hex headed plug in the center of the float bowl. Remove the plug, remove the jet. As far as the main jet is concerned, it all depends on your elevation from sea level. But I'd say to try a 132 or 135 main.

All of the jets are available from a Honda dealer, and will only cost you about $10-$15. Also make sure that once you've finished changing the jets, that you adjust the airscrew before putting the carb back on. it's located on the bottom(not the side) of the float bowl as well. Turn the airscrew clockwise until it's fully seated, then back it out about 2.5 to 3 full turns.

Button everything back up good and tight, and you're set. Make sure to check the color of the electrode on the spark plug periodically. You'll want it to be a medium gray color.