PDA

View Full Version : Better spark

86-250Rnut
08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
What can i do to my R to give it better spark? i have good spark right now but i dont know if it can be better or what, so any help would be awsome!
Thanks guys,
Mitch:macho

zedicus00
08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
switch to a BP5RU iridium plug.

wilkin250r
08-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Why do you need a better spark?

86-250Rnut
08-22-2005, 05:16 PM
The spark looks pretty weak. i compared it to my dirtbike and it wasnt as good. so i was jsut wondering what i would have to do to get a lil better spark.
thanks,

beerock
08-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
switch to a BP5RU iridium plug.

WHAT! thats a damn hot plug are you nuts?

250r nut, if your not using a br8es now, switch to it.

if you want more spark, buy a high energy coil like a msd or i forget the other one everyone talks about.

or just go full bore and buy a race ignition. like a pvl or cr 250

zedicus00
08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
possibly, but ive never had a problem one with it and its a lot harder to foul. it sees its share of WOT too and never burned anything up.

Originally posted by beerock
WHAT! thats a damn hot plug are you nuts?

XCredrider
08-22-2005, 07:18 PM
there is a thing my aunt bought off of ebay called an i-cat. we put it on my cousins KTM 65 dirtbike and there was deffinately a difference in throttle response. I was deffinately impressed and it was really easy to put on. It cost her about $100-150 but it was a deffinate improvement. They sponser quite a few pro riders too.

beerock
08-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
possibly, but ive never had a problem one with it and its a lot harder to foul. it sees its share of WOT too and never burned anything up.

what size jet are you runnin?

zedicus00
08-22-2005, 08:02 PM
57 pilot and 210 main, needle on 3rd clip i think airscrew 1 3/4 turns out. 295 resleeve on its last bore, MAD port work done, cryoed everything. cut head. A/S 38 short body carb, ported v-force 3 reeds, aluminum intake all ported. no air box, k$n filter with water proof outerwares. ESR TRX-5 exhaust.

short body carb round aluminum intake adds velocity and is spose to cool the intake air slightly, no reed spacer or anything like that.

v-force 3 hav THICK petals so it hurts the bottom end a hair but outlas fiber glass reeds about 100 times in this set up. plus they dont flutter on topend.

short rod engine

stock electrics and light still inplace.

14/36 gears 18" rears.

race gas, golden spectro 45/1

SHE FLAT RIPS

anything else??

brokenbones
08-22-2005, 08:11 PM
just go to a cr set up

i had troubles with pvl so went back to oem honda with esr adapter plates

my 2 cents

beerock
08-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by brokenbones
just go to a cr set up

i had troubles with pvl so went back to oem honda with esr adapter plates

my 2 cents

the pvl is a difficult ignition to set up, you need a dial bore gauge to accurately time a 250r motor with a pvl ignition. I had one and set the timing a bunch of times and even played with advancing and retarding it.

zedicus your set up sounds about right, a br8es would be running less of a main i figure, did you ever run a br8es was your main smaller did you gain power in the powerband, where?. What about the ignition though, sounds like its could hurt it.

86-250Rnut
08-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
and can i go get a cr 250 ignition from any atv shop?
Thanks for the help,

zedicus00
08-22-2005, 09:13 PM
yeah i ran a br8es a long time ago after a local guy told me my plug was gunna blow up the motor,

yes you can lean out the main about one step and adjust the air screw a tiny bit with a br8es.

the hotter plug keeps from fouling as easy, gives a lil better throttle response and more thouroughly burns the fuel u cram into the jug.

the hotter plug and richer main felt like a small boost in power everywhere, maybe i am just hoping. main reason for running it is way harder to foul, (for when one of yur four-stroke buddies runs off with yur quad)

and trx electrics arent known for high output so this compensates for that slightly, with no adverse effects. (in over 10 rears of use)

after all the more fuel u burn, and the more thourouly u burn it the more power u make, for some reason it has more effect as the bores go up too, like a stock bore may go up 1 main jet size going to the hotter plug but a bigger bore like a 350 may need to go up 2 sizes to run right with the hotter plug, tapper effect i guess,.

Tom TRX250R
08-23-2005, 11:12 AM
can i go get a cr 250 ignition from any atv shop?

You can buy from www.esr250.com
This is the best way to buy it because it comes with the adaptors to hook it up.

86-250Rnut
08-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Thats a great site. thanks tom!
and does a 370 PV need any case work? or does it just bolt right on?