PDA

View Full Version : Rossier Exhaust Review

Pappy
08-22-2005, 01:54 PM
After trying several different exhaust systems over the last year, I was having trouble finding a pipe that did it all. Thanks to this website, I was able to sit back and watch threads about the new systems that were being made available. One system kept getting reviews that were so solid from our members that I was really getting excited.

I turned my search for my new exhaust to Mobile Dyno and asked what his thoughts were based on his knowledge with dynoing so many different set ups. He backed up the info I had taken from the site and that was the nail in the coffin for all other systems.

Rossier was all to happy to ship me an exhaust for my 450R and I was eager to get it installed. I had planned on taking pictures to show the installation, but truthfully it goes on so easy that they are not needed. The instructions included were simple enough for anyone to follow. Removal of the stock exhaust system and installation of the Rossier took less then 25 minutes. Fit and finish were absolutley flawless.

Pappy
08-22-2005, 02:02 PM
After making sure that the mid pipe cleared the airbox as per the instructions and checking everything twice,I kicked the R to life and a healthy exhaust note was ringing with authority from my once docile engine!

Jetting was left alone and the quad was loaded to be put on the dyno the following day. Once Mobile Dyno got a baseline, they quickly started making adjustments to the carburator. Finally they settled on a 168 main jet with a Twinair filter, we were ready to see what kind of numbers could be obtained.

The final run netted 39.41 horsepower, and 29.60 torque. I did not know what to expect as I have never been one with alot of dyno time or knowledge of how they worked. I am now a firm believer in using them to get the engine tuned properly.

Stock 450r's I am told average around 32~33 horsepower, so the system netted me a gain of roughly 7 hp. I believe that is a decent gain for a stock engine!

Pappy
08-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Finally being done with the tuning, I was able to ride the quad today. There is deffinatley something to be said about the new systems on the market and I am very glad I have one of them installed on my quad!

The exhaust gearheads can explain the technical side of a stepped system way better then I could, but over the other systems I have owned, this one hands down feels stronger. Power is off idle and pulls to a point where I am already hard on the brakes and out of room! I can only imagine what this engine will feel like once the cam and piston are installed.

Combining the new system from Rossier with a dyno to get everything dialed in is in my opinion the way to go. I highly recommend this system to anyone looking for a pipe that provides power most everywhere one would need it. The sound is indeed throaty and crisp. I know people will ask if it is loud and while it is louder then stock, it should be on par with most other systems on the market.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with this system and could not be happier.

Xowner
08-22-2005, 03:06 PM
and the insides of your motor are stock eh? piston cam porting ... etc all stock?

i guess my sparks will be on the chopping block soon

Pappy
08-22-2005, 03:09 PM
yes, the cam and piston are sitting here but I have not had time to have them installed.

tucson450r
08-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Great info!! I just got my RE pipe installed this weekend and I am due to dyno soon. I hope to have the same results. I do have the HRC cam and a sparks filter installed already and I am running a HRC needle w/185 main and 50 pilot jets. JE 13:1 thermal coated piston waiting on the workbench.

fastrider450r
08-22-2005, 03:33 PM
if you dont mind telling us how much was it for the dyno and how much for the pipe?
thanks

fastrider450r
08-22-2005, 03:40 PM
or just PM me
thanks

Pappy
08-22-2005, 03:46 PM
List price on the exhaust is $479.00

Dyno prices vary from area to area, but under $50 is probably a good estimate depending on what you have them do.

fastrider450r
08-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Ok cool, thank you very much

fourfiftyfred
08-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Did you do a before and after dyno run ?????As you can see in this dyno sheet the 450R makes 36.52 horse stock and 27.45 ft lbs. I know all dyno's read diffrent but a 7 horse gain with a RE pipe is alot.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6524&hl=

I'm not trying to start a fight just asking a few questions.

JRP
08-22-2005, 05:03 PM
very nice pappy... im gettin the rossier too. did u buy it directly from rossier or from another company? im gonna go to mobil dyno too to get it dialed in.

Pappy
08-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by fourfiftyfred
Did you do a before and after dyno run ?????As you can see in this dyno sheet the 450R makes 36.52 horse stock and 27.45 ft lbs. I know all dyno's read diffrent but a 7 horse gain with a RE pipe is alot.

I'm not trying to start a fight just asking a few questions.

Yes, it was dyno'd before in stock trim and made between 32 and 33 hp. bone stock.

fourfiftyfred
08-22-2005, 05:29 PM
ok just wondering

Pappy
08-22-2005, 05:34 PM
I actually wanted to watch them do the dyno work, but I was preoccupied. I saw the pics of it on the dyno so I know they did use slicks.

cletusEX
08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
How loud is it? Compared to an HMF or something? I've heard nothing but good things but am always a little worried that RP will start db checking again.

Pappy
08-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Its got to be just a tad quieter then an HMF by my ear, but that could change once its been on there awhile. i think a quiet core could be fabricated easily, but like anything else, that would probably affect power.

No matter the exhaust, sooner or later someone will build a better mousetrap and the noise issue may be finally controlled

wvspeedfreak
08-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Are you running an airbox lid or not?

Pappy
08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
the stock airbox lid was modified, like an impromtu hrc lid.

onebad450r
08-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Is that the shorty or the long can?

Does it come with the turn down end cap or is that optional?

Last question....Did you have the sparky installed during your dyno runs?

Pappy
08-22-2005, 07:34 PM
I am pretty sure its is the standard pipe, not the shorty. The end cap is what was supplied and was not ordered special.

The spark arrestor was removed so the A/F portion of the dyno could be completed.

onebad450r
08-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I was just wandering....I thought that it looked like the shorty.

Everybody I have talked to on here seems to think that the shorty needs to be shorter. If it is indeed the long can it does not seem any bigger or longer then any of the other pipes. Maybe it's your grab bar that makes it look that way? Does the can seem big and bulky to you compared to other brands?

Mobile Dyno
08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
This is the Final result with Pappy's set-up. I'll work on a comparison graph between stock but until then here is the graph with the R.E.

450r: Rossier Engineering Exhaust(Long Can), TwinAir Filter, Airbox modified( Similar to the HRC style lid), Stock pilot, Stock Needle position, K168mn.

Pappy
08-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by onebad450r
I was just wandering....I thought that it looked like the shorty.

Everybody I have talked to on here seems to think that the shorty needs to be shorter. If it is indeed the long can it does not seem any bigger or longer then any of the other pipes. Maybe it's your grab bar that makes it look that way? Does the can seem big and bulky to you compared to other brands?

I can try and verify that it is standard, but I think your assumption regarding the grab bar is correct. The PRM sticks out a bit farther then say stock or an AC

cals400ex
08-22-2005, 11:27 PM
i assume both of those runs were on slicks? was the stock run using the twin air filter too? did it have stock jetting? i was actually surprised with the jetting. i was expecting larger than a keihin 168.

Mobile Dyno
08-23-2005, 05:13 AM
That graph is Hp and Tq over RPM together with the Rossier. I still have to put a graph up on the comparison with stock. I did use slicks on it.
As far as the jetting I'm suprised to. I did a lot of 450r's on Sat. and tuned alot and most of them went from 182-185 down to 160-170. Rousch Creek is about 900ft in elevation.
Example of a 450r I did Sat:

Mx 450r with 13:1 comp, Sparks Cam, Rossier Exhaust, Vortex Ignition, I'll pull his graph and see what else it had. He just wanted to do a Hp run. After the run the graph showed that the bike only tached out at 8k rpm, I was like:huh I thought maybe something wrong with the vortex so we pulled another run on a different map and the same thing. I suggested we put it on the A/F and they said o.k. After my A/F test I found the Mainjet WAY RICH causing the bike to just drop out at 8krpm(The bike didn't spit or cutout acting like it was this rich). I pulled the mainjet and it was a K185. I went with a 170 and tested it again. Better but still rich. I put the 160 in it and the test showed great on the A/F and the bike revved out to 11k like it is suppose to. He had been riding a bike that only tached out a 8k. :eek2:

Pappy
08-23-2005, 06:02 AM
My quad always seemed to not like anything but stock jetting. When we had the HMF on it, it would not run with anything but the stock jet. I have no idea why and did not take the time to investigate.

Ive always been a firm believer that each engine is different and with that in mind I feel you may see different results from them. I am in no way trying to state anything other then what we found on my quad when this system was installed. The overall number is good and I am very satisfied with it. More importantly then the dyno numbers, is the fact that I feel I have a broad usuable power that suits me.

I do not wish this to turn into a what if you did 900 things thread. I had the quad tuned and the numbers are what they are. If that makes others angry then I apologize my quad responded so well to this pipe and the tuning. It could have just as easily been a 2 hp gain, and that would have been fine as long as she ran as well as she does now. I wear riding pants, not a dyno diaper!

bpimpdaddy21
08-23-2005, 06:05 AM
The exhaust the Pappy has is definately the Short Can. If you look at the picture in the first couple posts of this thread and compare them to the image of the long can on Rossiers website:

http://www.rossiereng.com/images/monster_trx450.jpg

you can see that Pappy's exhaust is a few inches shorter than the Long Can. I have seen several people on TRX450R.org that have the short can, and it appears identical in lenght with relation to the upper mounting bolt as Pappy's.

I may be wrong, but I am 99.9% sure that I am correct in this. Hope I could help clarify this.

:)

chad502ex
08-23-2005, 06:12 AM
here's a set of stock 450 dyno found on the net for comparison.

red trx450r
blue yfz450

Kennethyfz450
08-23-2005, 07:46 AM
I was told that no pipe on a stock 450r would gain anything beacuae the stock exhaust was good enough for the 450 cam profile, but if you installed the HRC kit you can get some extra ponies installing a pipe...

you also gotta consider dyno tires will give you 3-5 hp in some cases..

it would have been better if you compared the stock pipe vs the RE pipe on the dyno...

iceracer65
08-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
here's a set of stock 450 dyno found on the net for comparison.

red trx450r
blue yfz450

WOOOOOOOOT look at the torque advantage for the honda!!!

JRP
08-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by iceracer65

o yea because honda rocks..:D

cals400ex
08-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by iceracer65

the sad part about it is that i still rather have the yfz curve due to my riding style. oh well, i rather have honda quality too though..

cals400ex
08-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Mobile Dyno
That graph is Hp and Tq over RPM together with the Rossier. I still have to put a graph up on the comparison with stock. I did use slicks on it.
As far as the jetting I'm suprised to. I did a lot of 450r's on Sat. and tuned alot and most of them went from 182-185 down to 160-170. Rousch Creek is about 900ft in elevation.
Example of a 450r I did Sat:

Mx 450r with 13:1 comp, Sparks Cam, Rossier Exhaust, Vortex Ignition, I'll pull his graph and see what else it had. He just wanted to do a Hp run. After the run the graph showed that the bike only tached out at 8k rpm, I was like:huh I thought maybe something wrong with the vortex so we pulled another run on a different map and the same thing. I suggested we put it on the A/F and they said o.k. After my A/F test I found the Mainjet WAY RICH causing the bike to just drop out at 8krpm(The bike didn't spit or cutout acting like it was this rich). I pulled the mainjet and it was a K185. I went with a 170 and tested it again. Better but still rich. I put the 160 in it and the test showed great on the A/F and the bike revved out to 11k like it is suppose to. He had been riding a bike that only tached out a 8k. :eek2:

do you have any suggestions as to why the large change in mainjets? i guess the needle does make a difference too on what mainjet was ran. did it have a modified air box lid on?

i currently run a stock bore 12.25:1 thermal coated piston, thermal coated short can rossier with no spark arrestor, dyna ignition, sparks filter and billet ring, whole hrc cam kit including the hrc lid. i am running a hrc needle in the 3rd clip position, stock pilot jet, and keihin 180 mainjet. i am around 626 feet above sea level and it is around 85 degrees here. the bike runs great but i have no idea where my air-fuel ratios are really at.

Pappy
08-23-2005, 02:22 PM
After riding it again just to get my dose of speed for the day, I measured the can and it is 12 inches long. If someone has a chance i am sure they can figure out if its the short or long version. It doesnt matter to me at this point, if someone tries to take off my pipe I will wrap a wrench around thier head......THIS THING ROCKS!:D

Pappy
08-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450

it would have been better if you compared the stock pipe vs the RE pipe on the dyno...

That may be, but I was not out for a back to back comparison. I wanted to have the quad tuned properly and the numbers were a bonus. I dont get into the numbers game, infact it would not have mattered to me as ive stated earlier, if it had shown less of an increase.

I am convinced that spending the money for dyno time is probably some of the best money vs. time i've ever spent. In my eye's, the dyno shows me that I got what I paid for from both the pipe and the dyno time, nothing more. The dyno (especially a mobile unit for a quad) is relativley new to me and probably a ton of other riders who have in the past relied on graphs or claims made by the manufacture of various performance enhancing parts. Billy Bob exhaust company or Joe Blow cam company had better be real close because buyers will now have the chance across the country to see what that mega dollar part will actually do on an everyday quad.

wvspeedfreak
08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I wear riding pants, not a dyno diaper!

LMAO that is the funniest thing I've read in a while.LMFAO.

Pappy
08-23-2005, 06:26 PM
I had a chance tonight to have others ride my quad so I could listen to the exhaust. My brother seems to rank it lower then my sparks and hmf, and on par with the white bros E2 as far as loudness.

If this is indeed the short version, its quieter then any other shorty i've ever heard.

chad502ex
08-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I had a chance tonight to have others ride my quad so I could listen to the exhaust. My brother seems to rank it lower then my sparks and hmf, and on par with the white bros E2 as far as loudness.

If this is indeed the short version, its quieter then any other shorty i've ever heard.

I love the "BARK" it has and the hit too! BRRRRRRRAAAAAAAP!

ESrider
08-23-2005, 08:08 PM
The Rossier shorty is an awesome pipe. I agree with your brother Pappy, mine seems a little quieter than my friends Sparks and pulls hard all the way through the rpm range. Joe is an excellent person to deal with and has a tremendous amount of knowledge that he is more than willing to share. If you add a cam and a higher compression piston you'll really feel it pull off the bottom and right through the rev limiter.:D

Pappy
08-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by ESrider
The Rossier shorty is an awesome pipe. I agree with your brother Pappy, mine seems a little quieter than my friends Sparks and pulls hard all the way through the rpm range. Joe is an excellent person to deal with and has a tremendous amount of knowledge that he is more than willing to share. If you add a cam and a higher compression piston you'll really feel it pull off the bottom and right through the rev limiter.:D

It's good to hear your findings are matching ours. We try and give an honest evaluation for the site of any part we think may be of interest. I will geuss that Joe is someone at Rossier? My pipe was ordered 3rd party so I have never spoken or contacted them.

cals400ex
08-23-2005, 10:38 PM
yep, joe is who i ordered mine from (rossier directly)

my short can is quieter than my x-6 was too.

adrenaline
08-23-2005, 11:23 PM
i should be getting my 450r this weekend..i was either going to go sparks or the rossier...it seems you guys are going rossier.

this mobile dyno is this only for certain areas?
sounds awesome im on long island new york are there any
out here im not used to the mobile dyno..but when i get the 450r i want it done right like pappy did id rather pay them $50+ to get it perfect rather then sit there and try to do it by feel.

ESrider
08-24-2005, 03:43 AM
Sorry, yes it's Joe Rossier. I got mine third party also, but my pipe shipped directly from Rossier after talking to him several times.

Mobile Dyno
08-24-2005, 03:56 AM
[QUOTE]this mobile dyno is this only for certain areas?
sounds awesome im on long island new york are there any
out here im not used to the mobile dyno..but when i get the 450r i want it done right like pappy did id rather pay them $50+ to get it perfect rather then sit there and try to do it by feel.[QUOTE]

I think I'm the only mobile atv dyno on the east coast. If you can get enough people together I maybe can come out to you?

370kingR
08-24-2005, 04:02 AM
Mobile Dyno has a great setup. Those guys are great at tuning, testing, and providing you the ability to come right to you. Im up here in Jersey and it sure would be nice to get them on up here. If not im comin to you! I will one way or another be seeing them soon as my new motor is almost complete. Keeping my fingers crossed :D

Mobile Dyno
08-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Gary, what's up man? Pm me your address again and I'll see how far it is and maybe we can work something out?

Pappy
08-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by 370kingR
Mobile Dyno has a great setup. Those guys are great at tuning, testing, and providing you the ability to come right to you.

I can not say enough good things about them guys. They worked so hard at making sure each customer was satisfied and running correctly! They stayed a good 6 hours longer then they were supposed to, and noone was left out.

I will never just "install" an exhaust again, it will be dyno tuned!

adrenaline
08-24-2005, 08:07 AM
mobile dyno your PM's are full. ill just post my pm here i guess
sorry pappy:(

you guys are out of virginia right?
how far north do you usually go?
if you get a group out of say jersey/marylandeven, id take the trip down.
ill see on taking a trip even further depending if a get another guy or 2 to get it done closer by you, and maybe hit some trails down there :devil: !!
well thanx
-tom

shaff107
08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
I run the GNCC series in the Open A class Joe helps me out a ton.

This is my rossier set up

Rossier Head Porting
Rossier Short Can
Wiseco 13.1
HRC Cam

And this thing pulls like no other i love it. It helped me pull the holeshot in maryland !

Mobile Dyno
08-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Cleaned out my inbox. Thx.

Yes, I'm out of Va

I'll come anywhere if enough people are interested. I go all the way down Mississippi. Went there in March. Going again to Mud Mania in October. Thats 16hrs. Utility's are big there.

I'll set something up with Gary(370kingR) he is in Jersey and let everyone know. Who ever is interested can come. How does that sound?

adrenaline
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
awesome thanx bro...yea i sold my 400 before i ever got to meet anyone from here...im goin to pay for the 450r today:D
but yea ill take the trip down jersey is only like 1-3 hours depending if its north or south...
thanx
-tom

lukester720
08-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by ESrider
Sorry, yes it's Joe Rossier. I got mine third party also, but my pipe shipped directly from Rossier after talking to him several times.

Its Joe Benner, not Rossier

You better watch your MTV's :blah:

MAD450r
08-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry to jump in on your post pappy. I really would like to have my 450r and 400ex dyno'd. Im sure my freind will want to have his predator done, and I may even know a guy that will want his 2 cannondale's done.

The problem is im in CT and dont have a driver's license myself. So i'd have to find a time where the cannondale guy wants to go since he owns a few box trucks and we could all toss our atv's on and head over to wherever you are going to be closest to us.

Mobile Dyno
08-25-2005, 07:45 PM
I'll talk to Gary and see if he wants me to come that way(in NJ)
If I come up there it will be for the weekend. I let everyone know and whoever wants to come can come if your interested. We'll have a Dyno Weekend:D

ESrider
08-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks Lukester,
I never asked Joe his last name when I talked to him I just A-S-S-umed and look where it got me.:ermm: