PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever raced at North Hill, MD?

Dirtiredneck
08-22-2005, 08:31 AM
We are racing a QUAD Hairscramble at North Hill, in Oakland, MD next weekend and was wondering what the track was like. I ran the WISP GNCC a couple of months ago and was wondering if the terrain was comparable or not?

cletusEX
08-22-2005, 01:17 PM
I've raced a lot up there. The last HS was the weekend after Wisp and they had a really tight track laid out. A few rock sections and some mud. Mostly it was tight with very little passing. I'm gonna try and make the race this weekend so maybe I'll see you up there.

BSTURDIVANT
08-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info, need a new track to try!

Dirtiredneck
08-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Sounds good cletus. What were the starts like? What class did you race in? Was there any hillclimbs? Are you going up the night before, or driving up that day?

cletusEX
08-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
Thanks for the info, need a new track to try!

Yeah it is a pretty good track terrain wise and there usually are a few good Pro/A riders up there.

Dirtiredneck, the starts can be a little hairy but it's not too bad. I race the C class and there were not really any hillclimbs, a few short ones in the woods maybe. This race I probably will show up in the morning. If the other guys I race with are going we might go the night before. It's like 2 1/2 to 3 hours for me so it's not that bad. Remember they race quads at 11:00 up there.

400exvet
08-23-2005, 06:28 AM
I was there in the Fall last year and ended up breaking my wrist about halfway through the race :( . It is a very tight and technical track. Watch out for stumps in the tall grass:eek2: . There was a pretty steep rock hill climb that I remember....but I think there was a way around it if you didn't want to climb it. The start was in a field, around a bail of hay and a very short distance into the woods. Nice set up and people. You can camp there the night before and I think you can join their ride club for 60.00 per year and ride there anytime.

Nick, you guys definately going? I don't think Ron can make it. Hope y'all had fun last Sat with Brian's ride ( any pics?). Me and Ron rode Sunday pretty hard. He is picking up the 450 pretty fast! His biggest problem was stalling it....it's a big difference when being used to lugging the 400ex through some of the corners and over the real rough stuff. Once he gets that figured out, those vet guys are going to have their hands full.
Later, Doug

Dirtiredneck
08-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Sounds good guys. Thanks for all the info. This will be my second race ever, and I just started really riding hard this year, so I entered forst year racer in GNCC at WISP, which was crazy as hell, but I did better than expected. I am looking forward to this race to get some more experience for Unidella in September. How long have you guys been racing?

cletusEX
08-23-2005, 05:47 PM
I've been racing for about 2 years. Definitley hit all the races you can if your looking for experience. A trail ride doesn't compare to an actual race.

Ron, I'm 99% sure I'm going but I don't know anything on anyone else. Rausch was a good time, we'll have to all get up there sometime.