PDA

View Full Version : No idle

TheFontMaster
08-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Well my 250r now starts. I went out today and held the throttle open a little to warm it up, then cracked the throttle a couple times, it sounds awsome, no poping or anything, but even when its warmed up once I let off the throttle it just shuts off. I don't know if the carb just needs to be cleaned, or if the settings are that far off that it won't idle. I'm going to clean the carb tomorw, I haven't really messed with a carb, and it's settings before, so where should I start, and what are settings that should be close to what I should need. There is a new plug in it, I haven't checked to see if the gap is right, I think it is, but that I will check too.

250r4life
08-21-2005, 11:04 PM
you know the choke lever there on the carb- well, the black part is the idle adjuster... twist that to turn the idle up

hang1p
08-22-2005, 01:44 AM
check the cut out on the slide small cut out makes it hard to idle depends on were you are located at :elevation and that kinda stuff

2nd sucks
08-22-2005, 08:06 AM
what are you mixing your gas/oil at? too much???

TheFontMaster
08-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 2nd sucks
what are you mixing your gas/oil at? too much???

The gas/oil ratio is 32-1, so I know thats not the problem.

check the cut out on the slide small cut out makes it hard to idle depends on were you are located at :elevation and that kinda stuff

I don't know if it's just me but that didn't make much sense.

And which way do I turn the idle adjuster to increase the idle?

zedicus00
08-22-2005, 09:34 AM
what type of carb is it? PJ? PWK?

technically its not spose to idle, when the slide closes all the way it cuts off all the flow going to the engine.

if you want it to idle and the carb is set up perfetly, adjust yur thumb throttle out a lil until it just idles when the engines warm.

wilkin250r
08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Adjusting your throttle cable at the throttle is the most common fix, but I've always thought it more of a "band-aid", covering up the problem and not really fixing it.

Still, I've used it that method, and I really can't find any fault with it. It's very effective. I would actually recommend you try this for the time being. Adjust all the slack out of your throttle cable by using the cable adjustment on the throttle, so much that it actually pulls the slide up just a tiny bit, and enable your quad to idle.

Later on down the road, when you're feeling ambitious, you can play with the pilot jet and mixture screw to get it to idle without using the cable adjustment.

250r4life
08-22-2005, 11:27 AM
if you havent adjusted the idle yet, that sounds to me like the most logical explanation... you want to twist it counter-clockwise so that it raises, and this will raise your idle.

velocityatv
08-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Adjust your throttle cable to about 1/8" to 1/4" of play at the lever. Making it all the way tight can cause problems if you have the cable routed a little funny, or if your running an aftermarket cable that is not the right length. It's happened to most rides. Too tight of a cable tension and your throttle could not shut off all the way or even stick. If you run a stocker carb your idle would be adjusted by the choke lever. If you run a Keihin air striker you'll find a screw with a spring on it in the side of the carb next to the slide.

To start turn the air screw all the way in then 1.5 turns out. ( 1 turn being a full 360 degrees ) What this screw does is allow air to bypass the slide when idling. You'll find it on the left side of the carb just behind the slide, a little brass screw. This can be played with slightly if needed. If you have to thread it out too far you have jetting problems. Then either adjust your idle at your choke lever by turning it counter clockwise, for a higher idle, and vise versa. Make sure and do this with a fresh plug and clean filter, and a slightly warm engine. Remember if it sits for a few days and you fire up don't expect it to idle right away. Ussually I blip the throttle for a few moments to warm up a little and make sure oil gets were it needs, then I rev it up about 3/4 and blip it then full throttle and blow out the cob webs. After that if the idle is set it should pur.

hollywood250r
08-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Check your reeds!!! Check for air leaks also!