PDA

View Full Version : takin the lid off?

fasterthanhell
08-21-2005, 06:39 PM
does taking the lid off actually work? also i need some quick cheap mods for my 300ex? any ideas?

300exrider05
08-21-2005, 08:23 PM
yes it does work and add a little bit of power but i wouldnt recomend it because you get a lot of crap in your intake system which isnt good at all.leave it on!!

Tom TRX250R
08-21-2005, 09:50 PM
yes it does work and add a little bit of power but i wouldnt recomend it because you get a lot of crap in your intake system which isnt good at all.leave it on!!

What are you talking about??? As long as you have a clean oiled filter then you won't get anything in your intake. It is a good cheap mod to do to them. I have had my lid off for three years now and have never had anything get into my intake. Whatever helps breathe more air in and flow out faster will help the motor run better. Don't listen to 300exrider05's comment. Just make sure to rejet afterwards and you'll be fine.

bradley300
08-22-2005, 07:08 AM
you will have to clean your filter a heck of alot more

300exrider05
08-22-2005, 07:27 AM
tom trx250r your a retard!if you have the lid off and rid through dusty, muddy and wet conditions your air filter will want to suck that stuff up.plus everything gets in your airbox.its a lot safer to keep the lid on and get a k&n filter or something like that.

MR.BIG
08-22-2005, 09:36 AM
If you ride through dusty conditions with your lid off you will have no problems at all. If you are submerging the thing in water that's a different story. Taking the lid off will definately give you more power but you will also have to rejet. If you take the lid off I would run a foam filter because it will trap dust better than a K&N. I have a 450r with no airbox lid and I have had no problems you just have to clean the filter more often.

blastereatin250
08-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Get a k&n lid or something. Or no lid with an outerwears. Thats what I did.

BaD04WarrioR
08-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Yeah getting a little bit of dirt in your airbox is fine as long as your airfilter is well oiled and secured or sealed. Like was said before...you'll have to clean the filter more. My suggestion(I dont know the filter setup you guys have) would be to get a clamp on K&N if they make them for a better safer seal. You'll be fine.

fasterblaster09
08-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I used ths stock jets to run air box completely off,and fmf megamax2 exaust..but yes it does give power.

exboy
08-22-2005, 08:48 PM
yea the best thing to do if i wanted to do somthin as cheap as takin the lid off, is rejet, and i would get a k and n with outerwears like posted before

woah.... i just noticed that my friend never signed off his name when he got on my computer earlier, sorry bout that blaine

fasterthanhell
08-23-2005, 08:09 PM
i just jeted my engine do i still have to re jet to take the lid off

Swinger
08-24-2005, 06:35 PM
yep

Tom TRX250R
08-25-2005, 10:21 PM
300exrider, your the idiot! I have probably been riding longer than you have been alive so go to hell! The question asked was if taking off his airbox lid helps with performance. If your riding through ponds I wouldn't recommend it but for a cheap simple mod like he was looking for it works great. Like I stated above I have ran no airbox lid for over three years now with K&N and outerwears without ANYTHING going in my motor. Just make sure to keep air filter clean and freshly oiled and you'll have no problems.

300exrider05
08-26-2005, 08:10 AM
ok tomtrx250r i didnt mean to start anything bad!i was only saying that i wouldnt run it because i wouldnt want to get more things into my filter!yes your right it is a good cheap mod and it does work but i was only saying i wouldnt do it!sorry if you thought i was affending you.