PDA

View Full Version : Aluminem Wheels Garbage?

Sjorge450R
08-21-2005, 05:04 PM
when i bought my quad the person before never took care of the wheels. They are Douglas Red Stickers and have what looks like water spots. How can I get them like new again. I already tried pressure washing and waxing with multi step wax,
Steve

450robot
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
wax wont do crap on aluminum,

run down to your autoparts store and pick up some mother mag and aluminum polish

put some on a rag, and buff the wheels until the rag turns black, then take a clean towel and buff the stuff off

it will look good as new

Trevor
08-22-2005, 09:12 AM
You need wheel polish and alot of elbow grease. Once you are done tou will know why the other guy didn't do it!

Sjorge450R
08-22-2005, 09:18 AM
thanks alot.... I am trying to make these look like new... I dont want to buy new rims because there is nothing wrong with these other than the spots.

snox31
08-24-2005, 07:35 PM
just get a small buffing wheel that goes on the end of a drill and get some MOTHERS aluminum polish and let er rip with the drill.it saves a ton of time then put a good coat of wax on so the shine will last a little longer.Once they are shiny again it will be easy to touch them up.I got mine at sears they work good but there are alot of different buffing wheels

400exmatt
08-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Get some flitz polish works wonders

TheFontMaster
08-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by 400exmatt
Get some flitz polish works wonders

I would advise you stay away from flitz. I used that then tryed mothers mag and aluminum polish. Mothers is cheeper, and gave me a much better finished result than the flitz.

enduro400rider
08-25-2005, 07:49 PM
some mothers and steel whool did a great job on my wheels

Lolli2
08-27-2005, 03:44 AM
Make sure you only use the finest grade steel wool.

FoxRacing81
08-27-2005, 07:13 AM
To make them babys look new, you'll need...

The finest steel wool (possibly some 1800 grit sandpaper)
25,000 RPM Die Grinder (not required, but helps a ton and a half....makes anything look good....I bought mine for 25 bucks at home depot)
4in Buffing wheel
Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish
Rags

Go around the rim with the steel wool or sand paper, and just get it nice and smooth with no scratches...

Apply some mothers to the wheel. Use the die grinder with buffing wheel on the wheels...Doesn't take very long...but I suggest wearing eye protection because the little strands on the buffing wheel went every on mine...

After that, Take a rag, and buff out the rest of the black residue on the wheels. After that, they should look like new.

You can repeat this process as many times as you want to get your wheels as shiney as possible.

If you can't afford or don't already have a die grinder, then you can use just a couple rags and mothers polish, but the die grinder works wonders a lot quicker and easier then your hand.

-Justin