PDA

View Full Version : Voltage question

bm250r
08-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Finally decided to put some torch lights headlights on my R, smoked both bulbs in about 5 sec. So i decided to check the a/c voltage as it describes in the service manual. At idle im getting 19v at the regulator, and 130v at 5000rpm!!! What could make this so hi? Since i've owned the bike, i have never had headlights on it. Im not sure if the last owner has done anything to the stator or not. Anyone ever had an issue like this before?

Edit: i just checked the resistance in the stator, and found it to be bad. i have .13ohms of resistance. This is on a warm stator as described in the manual. So i guess i will buy a ricky stator with a lightened flywheel, as long as there is nothing i am overlooking. Please chime in if there is something you think i have missed.

Thanks

wilkin250r
08-22-2005, 11:10 AM
If you have any voltage output, my first inclination is to say your stator is good, but your VOLTAGE REGULATOR is bad.

How soon are you looking to get this thing fixed? I would hate to see you waste $150 on a new stator, only to find that it doesn't fix your problem.

At the same time, I can't have an answer for you today, but I'm sure I CAN help you. I'm an electrical engineer, I know a thing or two about these things.

bm250r
08-22-2005, 02:27 PM
I am in no hurry, and i thank you for any help givin.

wilkin250r
08-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Let me look into my manual and see what it tells me about testing voltages, and I'll do a little background on voltage regulators.

If you're reading 0.13 ohms resistance, how far out of spec is that reading? Or better yet, what is the spec?

bm250r
08-23-2005, 02:42 PM
spec is between 50-250ohm's. Im way off.

wilkin250r
08-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Are you sure you are checking the right coil? There is one that is 0.1 to 0.2 ohms spec.

I still say your voltage regulator is the problem. I would take it to a dealership and see if they could bench-test it for you. Or, I would certainly replace that little item before replacing the stator and flywheel.

bm250r
08-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I tested the red/black wire coming directly from the stator. The thing runs great, just blows the bulbs at the hit of the throttle. I'll try to pick up a regulator soon and try it.