PDA

View Full Version : Bending upper balljoints..

DEAL
08-21-2005, 09:04 AM
I keep bending upper balljoints on my +2 a-arms .. its only the upper right side thats doing it.. whenever I land hard from a jump or whatever it starts to bend ..
I have new a-arms on order but I just wanna make sure its the arms and not something to do with my shocks ... they are standard travel elka shocks...
Do you think my arm is a little bent or something ?
it looks like the rightside upper arm is bent downward a little bit because it looks way closer to my lower arm then on the left side upper does.
Thanks.

Pappy
08-27-2005, 07:49 AM
if the ball joints are the 14 mm ones, id say its the cause. not sure which company in taiwan or whereever is making all these things now, but they sure are not as strong as they used to be! even MOOG units snap like a twig.

DEAL
08-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
if the ball joints are the 14 mm ones, id say its the cause. not sure which company in taiwan or whereever is making all these things now, but they sure are not as strong as they used to be! even MOOG units snap like a twig.

Yeah. I got a race this weekend coming up and need arms .. I'm gonna call strong arm tomorrow and see if he has mine done yet .. if he doesn't is there any way I could get a set of burgards or something sent to me by this weekend?

reconmaster
08-28-2005, 06:32 PM
good luck deal it would suck if both of us can't make it due not gettng our parts in

TBD
08-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
I keep bending upper balljoints on my +2 a-arms .. its only the upper right side thats doing it.. whenever I land hard from a jump or whatever it starts to bend ..
I have new a-arms on order but I just wanna make sure its the arms and not something to do with my shocks ... they are standard travel elka shocks...
Do you think my arm is a little bent or something ?
it looks like the rightside upper arm is bent downward a little bit because it looks way closer to my lower arm then on the left side upper does.
Thanks.
Sounds like your shocks are traveling further then the arm. To bend a lower I would understand but the uppers take virtually no load. It sonds like the ball joint is maxing out before the shock bottoms out. What brand +2 arms are they? The ball joints that most people are using are the 16mm. Leager used the 14mm VW style for a little while. If they used a automotive style ball joint like Moog you should check the misalignment. Moog has several companies make the same ball joint for them and they do vary as far as misalignment is concerned.

DEAL
08-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by TBD
Sounds like your shocks are traveling further then the arm. To bend a lower I would understand but the uppers take virtually no load. It sonds like the ball joint is maxing out before the shock bottoms out. What brand +2 arms are they? The ball joints that most people are using are the 16mm. Leager used the 14mm VW style for a little while. If they used a automotive style ball joint like Moog you should check the misalignment. Moog has several companies make the same ball joint for them and they do vary as far as misalignment is concerned.

They are Jd performance +2s .. with the 14mm uppers and 16mm lowers..
its weird because its only that one side upper balljoint thats bending .. I can never get the alignment perfect on that side either .. and you can notice the upper a-arm on that side is closer to the lower than the other side a-arms .. Which is why I believe its bent.

TBD
08-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Sounds like you have it figured out. This isn't something that I highly suggest but why don't you pull the arm off and straighten it. The upper arm is pretty much along for the ride. It doesn't take that much force when it's straight.

DEAL
08-30-2005, 03:54 AM
I already ordered new a-arms .. it just seems like too much work to take it off and straighten it, then have it re-powdercoated etc...