PDA

View Full Version : 400ex basics (new guy)

Caseman2
08-21-2005, 06:57 AM
I just picked up my 2002 400ex yesterday. It came with ac nerfbars, whitebrothers exhaust, k&n, and jet kit. ALL for $1900

Today I plan on taking everything but the nerfbars off. I bought the quad mainly for my girlfriend. And I want her to get used to it stock. So she can ride it and enjoy it. And later when she wants more power/speed I can add them.

First question is. Oil and oil filter. What kind and type?

Spark plug what should be in there on a stock 400ex?

Anybody know where I can get a stock pipe for cheap?
The guy gave me his but he said its gutted or something?

Thanks
Casey

FoxRacing81
08-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Emgo Oil Filter Number: 15412-KF0-000
Oil: Standard 10w40 will be fine since the motor is stock. Just don't use anything that contains moly. Bad for wet clutch.

NGK Spark Plug Number: DPR8Z

To be honest, I don't think she'll notice much a difference. Pipes do make a little noticeable power difference, but it's not going to be extreme. I'd keep it all on.

If the stock pipe is gutted, I'm gussing he removed all the baffles and everything that was in it. If you want a stock one, you could probably find a cheap one off of ebay.

-Justin

Caseman2
08-21-2005, 08:03 AM
the guy i bought it from said mods make a huge differance?

Also on the oil do i want synthic? (sp)

And I mostly want the bike to be not so LOUD. that is another reason I wanted to take it back to stock.

What if I put the modded pipe back on would it be ok with the bike jetted?

Thanks for your help
Casey

FoxRacing81
08-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Caseman2
the guy i bought it from said mods make a huge differance?

Also on the oil do i want synthic? (sp)

And I mostly want the bike to be not so LOUD. that is another reason I wanted to take it back to stock.

What if I put the modded pipe back on would it be ok with the bike jetted?

Thanks for your help
Casey

Synthetic isn't needed...most car synthetics contain moly so unless you are planning on running atv synthetic, just run Castrol standard 10w40 or a similar oil.

The guy probably said that to make it sound more appealing for you to purchase. You will notice a little gain from the pipe, but most people will not notice any difference with just an air filter. If noise is an issue, I'd suggest getting a stock pipe but keep the air filter. Check what size main jet is currently in, and go 1 or 2 sizes down.

2nd sucks
08-21-2005, 09:23 AM
yea just remember if you put the stock pipe back on she will be running rich as hell...your going to need to rejet the carb again to get it running correctly

Caseman2
08-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Last one

In my garage im running out of room. And I wanted to know if its ok to leave my 400ex standing stright up. (rear tires and grab bar touching ground). Ive seen a pic of some guys garage with like 15 atvs and they where all like that. I just wanted to know if it was ok.

Thanks
Casey

400exmatt
08-21-2005, 01:16 PM
go to ebay the got them freakin cheap cause nobody wants one

Caseman2
08-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Last one

In my garage im running out of room. And I wanted to know if its ok to leave my 400ex standing stright up. (rear tires and grab bar touching ground). Ive seen a pic of some guys garage with like 15 atvs and they where all like that. I just wanted to know if it was ok.

Thanks
Casey

anybody?

400exmatt
08-21-2005, 09:14 PM
I dont know for sure but it couldnt be good to leave one standing up 4 a long time the engine oil and stuff would prob leak out.

gojk
08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I just picked up my 2002 400ex yesterday. It came with ac nerfbars, whitebrothers exhaust, k&n, and jet kit. ALL for $1900

Today I plan on taking everything but the nerfbars off. I bought the quad mainly for my girlfriend. And I want her to get used to it stock. So she can ride it and enjoy it. And later when she wants more power/speed I can add them.

First question is. Oil and oil filter. What kind and type?

Spark plug what should be in there on a stock 400ex?

Anybody know where I can get a stock pipe for cheap?
The guy gave me his but he said its gutted or something?

Thanks
Casey

I have a stock pipe I can let go really cheap. It just needs the gasket where the headpipe meets up with it.
PM with what you are looking to spend. We can work something out.

VA400EX
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
As far as oil goes you will find many posts about people using either Shell Rotella T or Amsoil. Amsoil is designed for wet clutch systems and Rotella is design for diesel engines I think but neither contains moly.

People swear by both and I do know that Rotella is easier to get and cheaper.

whiteflash
08-24-2005, 03:39 PM
i have a stock silencer that i only used for the first 4 months, make an offer. PM me with ?'s