PDA

View Full Version : high elevation differant jet?

cabby
08-20-2005, 09:00 PM
I noticed in the owners manual that it said at elavations above 3000 ft a differant jet could make a differance in performance. I live in the black hills of SD and the elevation is anywhere from 3200 up to 5700. Does anyone think I would gain anything by using a differant jet? I own a brand new 04 ex I have noticed the performance is kind of choppy from time to time. Sometimes driving it seems like its lacking or maybe getting to much fuel, if I give more throttle it gets rid of the problem. I dont think its my shifting......

Ex'r Marlin
08-21-2005, 12:19 AM
Well, first of all, congradulations on having a "Honda 400ex", and for being engaged!:)

I believe in your situation with a stock 400ex at the elevation you are at, that leaving the stock jet in there and going with an aftermarket air filter, like K&N, will allow more air in, which will lean the mixture a little, and ultimately, give you better performance.:D

Best Wishes!

cabby
08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
thanks for the input ex'r ill try that and let you know how it goes..

cals400ex
08-21-2005, 09:58 PM
the 400ex stock comes with a keihin 148 mainjet. in some situations, it comes with a keihin 142 mainjet. this is if you live in high elevation areas. so i would guess you have the 148 in but no one knows unless you check. so, at higher elevation levels you will need to jet smaller.