PDA

View Full Version : ?

sdstevens22
08-20-2005, 07:28 PM
if i would buy a decent 250r how does the maitence compare to a say a blaster? Would there be a lot more to replace since it's so much older , i really want an R but i dont want to keep on dumping money into it just to keep it running . what do you guys think?

250r4life
08-20-2005, 10:19 PM
ok ok ok... i need to throw in a comment for you and many other similar question askers in this forum... i think i speak for all of us 250r owners (and back me up on this if you agree- i'm sure most of ya'll will) when i lay down the next couple comments...

1) lets get one thing straight first and foremost: there is a reason why the 250r is legendary... its not just a coincidence... its cuz its just a plain sweet bike that was built incredibly well. no where else will you find a power to weight ratio even close. no where else will you find such a great combination of top and bottom end. nothing has proven its reliability anywhere even close to what the 250r has... as far as i, and many others are convinced, there does not exist on the earth today a better quad than the 250r.
2) you ask how it compares to a blaster in regards to maintenance. another fellow a day or two ago asks if they can keep up with the new 450s... several people have asked several other questions how 250rs compare with other quads... but, what you need to realize, in the quad world, the 250r is what is common in all the comparisons... it set the standard, and even until today all quads are compared to it. you dont ask how a 250r compares to a blaster/yfz450/raptor, you ask how a blaster/yfz450/raptor compare to a 250r. refer back to #1- the 250r is a living legend...
3) i mean no offense and i dont want people mad at me or anything else... but man, a lot of the comments that are said and questions that are asked- i dont think you guys deserve to ride an R. "i really want an R but i dont want to keep on dumping money into it just to keep it running "... c'mon man, just to keep it running? both i and a good buddy of mine have stock 250rs (his 88, mine 89.. mine since been modified this year, his still stock cylinder) and all you gotta do is be halfway smart and they'll run like a champ forever... wash 'em off, keep 'em jetted right, keep the filter clean, and change the fluids every once in a while... not too hard... other guys ask if the R can keep up... again, not to be rude, but if you are that uninformed about the R, which being so clueless about the R means you probably dont know too much about quads period, the 250r probably isnt the bike for you and probably dont deserve to ride one...

sorry for being harsh, i guess i should be grateful for knowing the truth and owning 250r... i should be more understanding of those less fortunate...

sdstevens22
08-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Hey man i know at least a little about 250r's and i was just asking about the maitence because when i had a blaster all i had to do was keep the oil changed, the chain lubed and filter clean and she ran like a charm, but i hear on forums of people buying an R and then the counterbalance bearing going bad ( i dont have the tools to replace the right side), needing new spindles, needs a new ignition, breaking the frame , so i was just asking how often these things go bad ,so if i have these problems i Will have to keep dumping money into it just to keep it running(it doesnt matter if it's lengendary or not)

thanks for the response though:ermm:

cdrookie
08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
i think 250r4life hit the nail on the head.

i'm a firm believer in-

if you have to ask questions...don't do it.

it's already in your head about the problems, no quad is absolutely perfect. even the mighty blaster has problems that would scare away alot of potential owners.

there's a search feature on every web site. i wish more people would use it. save alot of hurt feelings and b1tching.

TRX370R
08-21-2005, 10:35 AM
I would not trade my TRX 250r for any other quad out there new or used. My riding buddies have banshees, TRX 450s, YZF 450s.....I can beat all of them no problem.....and still even use less gas. It's also alot cheaper to modify a 250r. If you put a couple thousand in the engine, pipe, carb.....you will have a quad that can beat pretty much any bike out there. I think everyone posting on this board should have to read 250r4life's post haha.

sdstevens22
08-21-2005, 02:08 PM
well i'm getting an R :D

Iliketogofast
08-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Good idea.

2StrokeFreak
08-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Well said 250R4life!

2nd sucks
08-21-2005, 03:26 PM
couldnt have said it better myself...the 250r has set the standards for every quad out, and still none have stepped to its level or higher.

I know it doesnt really need to be done but i rebuild the top end on 265r every winter. with the price of rings and a head gasket there is no reason not to, i ride it very hard all summer/good weather times. then it gives me something to do during the winter, i tear her down, do the top end, have some small peices powder coated/pollished while its apart and just clean her up very well to get ready for the next long riding season. it keeps compression good, and the bike looking nice :macho

$.02