PDA

View Full Version : studs

jamienlogan
08-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Im trying to put my top end back on and the studs from the jug spin before I can get the nut torqued down. I tried turning the studs in more and it dont work. It has done this three of them. Just wondering if anyone else had this prob, and what should I do?

tprender
08-20-2005, 08:01 PM
You have just came across one of the problems that the 400 has. Honda only has the studs going into the cyclinder, not into the case like in other engines. Aslo, the alumiun is weak. Now to your problem. The only what that this can be fixed is to get the oversized stud kit. Helicoils will not hold neither. I found all of this out the hard way. GT Thunder has the studs for $60. Some places want up to $100. All of the people that think that they are blowning head gaskets are not realy. what is happening is that the threads are coming out of the head like yours did.

jamienlogan
08-21-2005, 01:59 PM
could a machinest make bigger studs? 60 bucks is alot for 4 studs.

Rico
08-23-2005, 07:47 AM
I recently blew the head gasket on mine, well it appears I did, I won't know until tonght when I pull the head off. If the gasket is still intact then I'll be purchasing the head studs.

FoxRacing81
08-23-2005, 09:28 AM
When my headstuds pulled out of my cylinder, it created a mad air leak and you could hear it sucking in air at higher RPMs. Sounded like a whistle. I recently bought and installed the GT Thunder headstuds. If you plan on installing them yourself, you will need the roll-form tap from them (30 bucks).

My headgasket recently became leaky though, so it's all ripped down also. Just happened I guess...because the studs are fine.

-Justin

smr
08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
HeliCoil will work fine if you buy the HeliCoil brand and they are installed properly. This is much cheaper than the oversize studs and if it is done properly you will twist the stud before you strip out a true Helicoil. Many people buy cheap imatations, there is no comparison.

the part # you want is 5405-10. This is a kit that comes with drill, tap, installation tool and tang removal tool. (basically everthing you need)