PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going to MMI

WKY400EX
08-20-2005, 02:23 PM
I've been debating going to either NADC or MMI for a while now. I think that would be a job I would enjoy. Anyone been to MMI or know someone who has? What kind of work do they do? Does anyone know what kind of money motorcycle mechanics are being payed nowadays? Thanks.

TGW_400ex
08-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by WKY400EX
I've been debating going to either NADC or MMI for a while now. I think that would be a job I would enjoy. Anyone been to MMI or know someone who has? What kind of work do they do? Does anyone know what kind of money motorcycle mechanics are being payed nowadays? Thanks.

Two of my friends are thinking about going to MMI. I would admagine they'd get payed decent. Atleast around here.

SRH
08-20-2005, 10:09 PM
mmi is a absolute waste of money aside from them setting you up with a job, if you go dont come out thinking your a mehcanic because your not, youll be doin the same work you would if you got hired with no mmi degree, actually most shops like to hire someone willing to learn not a mmi know it all that knows nothing, to be honest there is no money in being a atv or bike mehcanic unless its harleys, plan on doing setups for a few years before slowly working into light mehcanic work, around here 11 bucks for a mehcanic is top notch there is a select few making close to 20 or more but its super rare, if thats what you wanna do and you have the basic knowledge mmi is unecessary, if you know NOTHING go for it, otherwise put some applications in and wait youll be there, the shops will send you to there own technical schools if they are what they want

Warnerade
08-20-2005, 10:55 PM
thought about MMI....looks like a good school. WOuldnt mind working for BMW someday....but mechanics isnt my cup of tea.

JTRtrx250r
08-21-2005, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by SRH
mmi is a absolute waste of money aside from them setting you up with a job, if you go dont come out thinking your a mehcanic because your not, youll be doin the same work you would if you got hired with no mmi degree, actually most shops like to hire someone willing to learn not a mmi know it all that knows nothing, to be honest there is no money in being a atv or bike mehcanic unless its harleys, plan on doing setups for a few years before slowly working into light mehcanic work, around here 11 bucks for a mehcanic is top notch there is a select few making close to 20 or more but its super rare, if thats what you wanna do and you have the basic knowledge mmi is unecessary, if you know NOTHING go for it, otherwise put some applications in and wait youll be there, the shops will send you to there own technical schools if they are what they want yup, pretty much...

I know 2 dude thayt went down to Az, 1 is now a framer making more money and the other sell nails, probably to the framer haha

if it really sparks your interest and its something you really wanna do... go for it, but dont think its gonna be the big time;)

WKY400EX
08-21-2005, 11:29 AM
That's upsetting to hear. I was expecting more from the school. On to plan B I guess.

What about NADC (Nashvlle Auto-Diesel College)?

baker250r
08-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Yep, like they all said... MMI, UTI, all that stuff is a waste... a friend of mine went there... and he came back and the best he could get was a job makin 7 bucks an hour..... now hes workin down at Ashley Furniture as a assembly person.

400grl
08-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Sorry, I have to disagree on the UTI statement- my husband, his brother, and one of my nephews all went to UTI - they are all making a ton of money working at Ford, Chevy and GM.........you have to do well and enjoy what you do - it's not for someone who THINKS they might want to be an auto tech....it's for the people who really enjoy it. UTI will get you started in the right direction - and its up to you how far you want to go.

MMI is a good school - it's just to be a motorcycle tech, you have to really love what you do. The top techs I know at a dealership I worked at (ATV/motorcycle) were making $12 hour flat rate - compared to $20 - 22 / hour flat rate that you can start at in the right auto dealership.........

If it's in your blood - you love to work on cars/bikes - whatever - you will do great. If it's not, I'd look at something else......

WKY400EX
08-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Sorry, I have to disagree on the UTI statement- my husband, his brother, and one of my nephews all went to UTI - they are all making a ton of money working at Ford, Chevy and GM.........you have to do well and enjoy what you do - it's not for someone who THINKS they might want to be an auto tech....it's for the people who really enjoy it. UTI will get you started in the right direction - and its up to you how far you want to go. 400grl, you said that your husband, brother-in-law, and nephew make a ton of money working at Ford, Chevy and GM. What kind of jobs do they do? Work at dealerships, or ?

400grl
08-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Yes, they all work at dealers.......UTI will help place you, and if you do good you will get recruited as soon as you graduate - Jason (my hubby) and Jeff (his twin) were recruited straight out of MMI by Porsche - Ferrari wanted them, too- so they had to listen to offers and make a choice........my nephew got a job right out of UTI at a dealer as well - he is doing good, also. Jason decided to go to Chevy becuase it was a better opportunity for him, and it's a bit easier to work with domestics......(parts availability, volume, etc).

The thing about being an auto tech, is if you work with flat rate, you can make as little or as much as you want- just depends on how good you are and how hard you want to work......being in a good dealership also helps. It's hard work, that's why I say you really have to love cars and working with your hands to do good at this kind of work. Jason is just plain talented and working on engines is in his blood- he does it when he's home, when he's at work and when he's at the track......so it's a perfect job for him.

I don't know much about working for independents - everyone I know works for dealers.......you might make good money in an independent shop, too.....

Warnerade
08-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by I-7
Isn't MMI Motorcycle Mechanics institute..? there is a lot of different areas of mechanics you can get into there...

WKY400EX
08-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Yes, they all work at dealers.......UTI will help place you, and if you do good you will get recruited as soon as you graduate - Jason (my hubby) and Jeff (his twin) were recruited straight out of MMI by Porsche - Ferrari wanted them, too- so they had to listen to offers and make a choice........my nephew got a job right out of UTI at a dealer as well - he is doing good, also. Jason decided to go to Chevy becuase it was a better opportunity for him, and it's a bit easier to work with domestics......(parts availability, volume, etc).

The thing about being an auto tech, is if you work with flat rate, you can make as little or as much as you want- just depends on how good you are and how hard you want to work......being in a good dealership also helps. It's hard work, that's why I say you really have to love cars and working with your hands to do good at this kind of work. Jason is just plain talented and working on engines is in his blood- he does it when he's home, when he's at work and when he's at the track......so it's a perfect job for him.

I don't know much about working for independents - everyone I know works for dealers.......you might make good money in an independent shop, too..... I wouldn't mind working for Porsche or Ferrari. :D My dream would be to build high performance motors though. I've wanted to do that for as long as I can remember. I'd love to work at a big name speed shop. I really just don't know how difficult it would be to get into that, and if there's money in it. Have any idea?

151racing
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
I know alot of people who went to mmi, and i plan on going after i graduate. All the people I know who went say it was a good school and that they learned alot. They said its one of those "you get what you give" situations.

WKY400EX
08-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by 151racing
I know alot of people who went to mmi, and i plan on going after i graduate. All the people I know who went say it was a good school and that they learned alot. They said its one of those "you get what you give" situations. What kind of jobs do these people have? What kind of pay do they receive?

WKY400EX
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Anyone work or know someone who works as an aircraft mechanic? That's been another idea of mine.

flyin#5
08-28-2005, 08:27 PM
friday i was pretty much accepted to MMI, for what im going into (atv/cycle repair) i really dont see a better choice. sure start out pay isnt that good.... but you can work yourself up, plus its all about what you like to do. if your serious about it open your own shop, there is more money there for sure... but also a lot more work. after reading this im wondering if i should do the harley program instead:ermm: but i really dont have much interest with harleys.

to answer the first question... most atv/motorcycle mechanics are getting paid 10-20$ an hour, depending on how long you've worked for, how good you are at your job, and the area you live in.

WKY400EX
08-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Congrats on being accepted flyin#5. If I could get paid around $20/hr, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would most likely end up opening my own shop and building motors for racers. I've always wanted to do that, whether it's car/truck motors, or atv/bike motors. I've always had a thing for that. I met a guy a couple of years back from Norfolk Beach, VA. He went to MMI and did the Harley program. The guy told me that the pay was alright, but he mostly just hung chrome all day, and he wanted to open his own shop.

What program are you planning on studying down there?

flyin#5
08-29-2005, 01:02 PM
thanks. ill be doing the multi-line program, honda, yamaha, kawasaki, and suzuki. speedy400 (darren) is going to do the harley program, so im sure we'll have a good comparison of the courses next year.