PDA

View Full Version : cr500 linkage

lbz#7
08-20-2005, 01:33 PM
i have a question what all do you need to put cr500 linkage +shock on stock frame:bandit:

kyex40047
08-20-2005, 01:42 PM
You can't. Unless you cut the shock mount off and reweld it up higher or something like that. I am not sure what you have to do eaxtly but i know you have to move the shock mount and that means cutting up your frame.

250R Baja Rider
08-21-2005, 12:58 PM
You will have to have a metal fabricator cut off the shock mount and linkage mount on the frame and reposition them to work.

You will also have to modify the swinger to accept the linkage.

It can be done. My friend did it and but later sold the quad.

2nd sucks
08-21-2005, 03:14 PM
i.m.o its not worth the hassle...

$.02

zedicus00
08-21-2005, 04:29 PM
you hav to move the shock mount to the right about 2 inches... if u hav a stock frame yur better off going no link. it can be done with no mods to the frame. if u insist on going cr500 link, buy a used frame thas designed for it.

deathman53
08-21-2005, 09:23 PM
how do you do a no-link with no frame mods? I called roll and they no longer make that swingarm. I'm dying to do a no-link long travel on my atc 250r.

250R Baja Rider
08-22-2005, 09:48 AM
You have to modify something to get that set up.

1. Either you move the frame shock mount 2 inches higher.
and mount the no link shock the stock swingarm location. Or
2. Leave the frame alone and modify the swingarm to place a
new shock mount.

Any good welder can do that. And contrary to what most people say, it is not that difficult. If frames can be done, any mod can be done.

zedicus00
08-22-2005, 09:55 AM
JRD no link swinger can be used with no frame mods. and i believe lonestar makes one that can be used with no frame mods.

actually any know link swinger can be used on a stock frame but u will have to hav the shock shortened a tad.

no link long travel setups are very rare and can get very exotic. i seen a no link frame with a no link swinger that had the shock mount on the bottom of the swinger and a 19 inch shock on in... you really only gain a couple inches of travel compared to the shortened shock no link setup though, what u do gain is a bit smoother ride.

baker250r
08-22-2005, 04:19 PM
wut are the advantages to stock link, cr500 link, and no link?

zedicus00
08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
ive only ever seen desert guys run the cr500 link.

no link wil handle a little harder landing then stock link, it will also react slightly quicker over whoops and stuff.

ive never ridden a cr500 link 250r but theres not a lot of difference in the handleing of a well set up stock link compared to a well setup no link.

main benefit is u do away with the dogbone.

hontrx265r
08-23-2005, 06:30 AM
I have moded a frame for a no link and I just moved the mount up. I think 1 3/4 inches from stock. I'd have to check. I had a good welder do the whole thing with chrome moly and tig weld all of it. I was using a lonestar dc-2 swinger and an elka 18.5 inch shock. Ride was really nice very plush and tons of travel this was a (longtravel no link) like the real rolldesign frames use.
I'm running a cr500 link right now the mount is up and also shifted to the right. I'm not sure on the measurements but I would not attempt to modify a frame to get this linkage. You would have to do heavy frame reconstuction and also move the point where the linkage attaches to the frame over to the right.
this uses a 19in shock and I have to say the ride is unbeatable. No link is still great, but this is even smoother in the small stuff and like landing in a pillow over big jumps. I have pics of both if you guys want to see how each is set up.

bobby bo
08-23-2005, 10:12 AM
please post pics of the conversion to cr500 link,, i might have the option to upgrade. i have stock linkage right now with a lsr frame. i just want to know what i need to do to get it to work.. thanks

or email me abonilla@ec.rr.com thanks

250R Baja Rider
08-23-2005, 12:13 PM
This is the way I see it.

Both, the CR500 link and no-link are better than the stock set up.
If you are going to modify your frame and/or swi nger choose the one that is least expensive and easier to do.

I had a chance to rider someone's R with the CR500 set up and if floats. But my no-link set up it is very similar, but not as plush.

If you already have the shock and/or swinger for either set up, stick to it.

I was gonna swith to the CR500 set up but later decided it was easier and cheaper to go with the no link since I already had the shock and swinger.

I have a works CR500 shock for the R's for sale. $150 it needs new oil and the seal. I couldn't find the swinger at a good price then so decided for the easier option for me.

bobby bo
08-23-2005, 12:22 PM
a friend of mine has an extra swingarm,link and shock cr500,, i want to install it on mine.. so we need to know how to do it,,

250-R-250
08-23-2005, 02:07 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing pics of the cr 500 and no link,if it isnt much trouble. my email is kane_schutzman@hotmail.com. Thanks alot I might look into doing this since I am going to be doing some work on my frame anyways:rolleyes:

250R Baja Rider
08-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Here is a picture of my set up. This is the simplest no link set up since you use your stock swingarm. The shock mount on the frame is moved 2 inches higher.

beerock
08-23-2005, 10:30 PM
the cr 500 link was used by almsot every PRO out when 250r's were in the pro class. that and the no link, heck even the 250r link.

I have ridden all 3 ALOT. the no link is better on whoops then the 250r link. the cr 500 link is better on jumps then the 250r link, the 250r link is in between both of them.

the BS no link with the mount raised 2 inches is ok but its not a true no link. the geometry is not that of a true no link.

converting a 250r to a cr500 link is not a viable mod. the 2" higher upper shock mount is viable, and NO you dont shorten the shock, you need a longer shock, if its done properly.

250R Baja Rider
08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Beerock, no disrespect here at all.

But I have seen no link set ups in many different ways. Some with stock shock mounts, some with mount relocated.

The travel, stroke and valving is what matters.

The set up I have right now gives me one less inch of travel than the roll desing lobo frame. They use the stock location on the frame but their swingarm has the shock mount at 9.5 inches from the swingarm bolt. The shock for that set up did not work on my quad.

Precision concepts took the geometry measurements and modified my shock for my type of riding according to the geometry and weight. To be honest with you, it works better than my friends Roll desing no link.

However, I do agree that for the sake of simplicity, stick to what others have already invented. There is no point in reinventing the wheel.

My 2 cents

zedicus00
08-24-2005, 03:11 PM
yeah like he said its all in the riders preference. you can take the link out use stock top location stock swingarm location hav the stock shock shortened and revalved and hav a very nice handleing very cheep no link. none of these ways are wrong. all hav advantages and disadvantages. do whats in yur budget.

lbz#7
08-24-2005, 05:14 PM
i'm just trying to do easy cheapest way without cutting in to my frame to much what whould be best for xc?

beerock
08-24-2005, 07:06 PM
just keep the 250r link and get a good shock.....

Ive seen plenty no link set ups.

frankly shortening the shock like your set up is what they do for TT you have less travel, not more, not a good set up, but to each there own.