PDA

View Full Version : rear brake hub removal?

BlackRaptor
08-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I just got my second raptor today (used). Its all stock and in good condition, but it had a warped rear brake disc but I bought it anyway thinking I would just change rotors and pads, well its giving me a ton of crap the disc is locktited to the hub which make it just about impossible to remove and I found a little play in the hub, so how do I remove it. which way are the axle locknuts threaded? is the outside one left or right hand thread? I think I might try a spline locker compund. but how do I get that ******* off?

lzyga05
08-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey, this is Robin Hood on my friends name, I just got mine done, I think my axle nuts were lock tighted too, What we did was heat up the nuts with a torch and put all my wieght into turnin it, to get the axle nuts off get 2 2inch wrenches (yeah there big) and they both run their threads normally, righty tighty lefty loosy.

GL

BlackRaptor
08-21-2005, 08:10 AM
thanks alot I'm not looking forward to that but u gotta do what u gotta do, I was try a pipe wrench but I think its gonna break, so ill get some big wrenches, and u said torch, did u use a oxy-acl or a little propane hardware store special?

Foxracin
08-21-2005, 09:13 AM
I used a pipe wrench with like a 3 ft pole on the end of it. No heat or nothing. That baby broke loose. lol Make sure to remember to take loose the little allen head set screw thing.

BlackRaptor
08-21-2005, 09:21 AM
thats part of the problem both of the allen heads where seized and they broke my allen wrench (both ends) off inside of the screw, I think im just gonna drill the MF'ers out, and once I get it off just retap it. Its such a PITA so far. The hub seems a little loose on the axle and since it has a stock skid and the whole reason for all this is because of a saucer shaped disc I'm wondering if the splines are ok on the brake hub. I'm gonna go to the auto parts store and get that spline locker stuff if I can get these locknuts off. the axle lock nuts need tightening anyway though.

Foxracin
08-21-2005, 09:35 AM
If you get them odd I would go ahead and pick up a Lonestar axle lock nut. A whole lot easier to deal with and it stays tight.