PDA

View Full Version : cutting down a yoshimura exhaust???

red03400
08-19-2005, 08:55 PM
i wanted to cut down my yoshimura exhaust on my 400 and was wondering are there any benifits to doing this or is it bad to do it.
if so wat r the benifits/declines of doin this and will you have to change the jets or adjust the fuel mixture screw after cutting it down. thanks

RiderTRX400ex
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM
it will be louder for sure.. and will have more low end power ( i think )

why would you wanna cut up a yoshi?

kyleschonert
08-19-2005, 10:01 PM
you'll be much much louder, and its more top end power. So if you ride trails or mx i prob. wouldnt do it.

pead_24
08-20-2005, 12:21 PM
i always thought the shorter the more bottom end power and less top end???

kyleschonert
08-20-2005, 12:23 PM
ive always read that the shorter the faster, and the vise versa. But you could be right. I wouldnt do it ne way, to much money for a yoshi pipe.

zeppelin
08-20-2005, 02:11 PM
not trying to insult anyone or anything but lets think abnout it. what creats torque and bottom end with an exhaust, backpressure, the more back pressure you have the more bottom end you have, no when you cut the silencer you are create more air flowand less back pressure so you get more top end

red03400
08-20-2005, 03:41 PM
so whats the deal w/ tc exhaust...its so short but gives off so much bottom end...and also i went to open practice last wensday and some guy was running a chopped fmf, and a chopped t-4...

kyleschonert
08-20-2005, 03:54 PM
alot of people cut down fmf's b/c their to damn long. And the other guy may have cut down the t4 b/c he thought it was cool:confused: The TC pipe prob. has the proper amount of back fpressure and can allready be that short. And with other pipes, their made longer with the same amount of back pressure as a TC would, maybe not the same, but you get the point. Then when you cut them down that back presure goes out the window and you dont have the advantage that it had when it was the length it was supposed to be. I donno, im prob. wrong, but i think thats how it goes.

awesomeness
08-20-2005, 11:30 PM
so can anyone give a list of the pros and cons of cutting down an exhaust?

zeppelin
08-21-2005, 07:50 AM
pros-screaming top end power

cons- no bottom end,, loud, premature wear on your motor

FoxRacing81
08-21-2005, 08:58 AM
TC shortys are nothing more then cut Supertrap pipes with a TC end cap...

Cutting your pipe will make it louder and give it some more bottom end. Not top end.

bman863
08-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by zeppelin
not trying to insult anyone or anything but lets think abnout it. what creats torque and bottom end with an exhaust, backpressure, the more back pressure you have the more bottom end you have, no when you cut the silencer you are create more air flowand less back pressure so you get more top end
That's not true. a sport 4-wheeler with a stock pipe has more top-end than a high flow pipe. i have an 01 400ex with a white bro. r4 exhaust and a twin air filter with dyna jet jets. i was beaten by a stock 400ex last year. i got him by a quad-length until he hit 4th gear, then he started to leave me.

hawiianpwr
08-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Bman there are so many factors than just the pipe in your statement. Like how much do you guys weigh?, is your really jetted properly?Better driver?
A stock pipe will not have more top end than an aftermarket pipe. Most every aftermarket pipe has a larger straight through open core and the stock pipe has a smaller core and baffles to help keep the db's down which will create more back pressure hence more lowend

bman863
08-21-2005, 10:20 AM
we were about the same weight and i went by the dynajet box.
i cut down as much shift time as possible by not using the cluth and he still won. but u know wut? i just thought about this. i raced this guy before i repacked my muffler. so don't mind my statement sorry.

red03400
08-21-2005, 10:36 AM
lol its so hard to figure out whos right...everyones got so many diffrent oppinions....i mean i do believe that there will be more bottom end and louder also foxracing81 is right about the tc...but will there really be pre mature engine wear??? and please keep giving opinions due to i need to know whos right....not saying anyones wrong i just need to know what it will exactly be like.....because if it will damage the motor and give me more top end..ime not going to do it thanks

08-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Cut pipes gain down low and lose up top.the end.

pead_24
08-21-2005, 08:52 PM
thought so... people confuse me so much saying this or that