PDA

View Full Version : getting back into racing

mc250r
06-06-2002, 12:31 AM
I raced motorcross back in the early 90's on a 250r, sold everything and quit. Now at 28 yrs old I have bought another 250r and want to start racing again. This time i was thinking of racing harescrambles. never done them before. Is it cheaper to set up a quad for harescramble over motorcross? The bike I currently have was set up for mx when I bought it. It has 2+1 a-arms and a +4 adjustable axle. Is there an off-set rim that I can get to narrow the front end? What airbox setup does everyone use? Which tires and what size is the best for the front and rear? What should I do, stick with mx or go for the woods? I am from columbus Ohio, If there is anyone else in the area that I can ride with or chat let me know. thanks

NacsRacing400
06-06-2002, 06:59 AM
Well at this point it would be cheaper for you to run mx. With xc the biggest a-arms you would want to run would be +1 with 4+1 of set wheels to take it back to stock. THe axle can be fixed if it is adjustable. Just put the spacers on the outside of the hubs and get offset rims. This should get you to the widths you want. If it already has shocks i would run a xc race and see if you like it first. If you like it then send the shocks off to get setup for xc and by a-armas and some good tires and that stuff. Basically try runing a xc with puting as little money into it as possible in the beginning and make sure you like it. Both mx and xc quad are equally expensive.

mc250r
06-06-2002, 09:34 AM
thanks for the help

250rmike
06-07-2002, 12:12 PM
let me know if you wanna sell your mx stuff i will be interested in buying it.