PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bearings?

HotRod2Fitty
06-05-2002, 10:13 PM
HI all, sounds like another problem. My swingarm bearings are gone. Has anyone ever had to replace them?:confused: Can someone tell me please what all is involved with replacing them with new ones. I was thinking about getting a kit from pivot works. Are they any good?

Thanks for the help!:D :D

Teufel
06-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Hey Bro they can be a major pain to replace. You will have to remove the swingarm so you can get it up on the bench. Remove the collars and seals and wipe excess grease out. IF you can get your hands on a blind hole bearing puller you can, with some luck, get them out. If not I use a sharp chisel and split one side of the bearing so that I can collapse it. You have to be careful not to damage the swingarm. If you do scar the seat , then clean it up with emory or a dremel before inserting new bearing. Use a flat round object to seat the new bearings. I use a pin made of delrin.
if you use brass be careful not to leave any shavings behind. It is easy to damage the bearing during installation so don't beat the **** out of it.

250xman
06-07-2002, 03:10 PM
you dont have to take the whole swingarm off if you dont want to. all i did was take the swingarm bolt out and just lowered the jack till i could get into to bearings. as u lower it the swingarm goes backward. u get what im sayin? but yea they can be a pain. when i 1st got this 250x the guy hadn'y changed the bearings since it was new but he never told me of course. there were no bearings left. just the outer parts of them but they were rusted in place so i ended p buying another swingarm but luckily it came with good bearigns with it so i save my pivot works set. it took me about 45 mins to replace the arm and bearings. i would guess it would take you about 20 mins to replace em if you have no problems. hope i helped ya some. good luck!:macho

yellow_ho_01
06-11-2002, 10:21 AM
ive been working on getting my swingarm bolt out for about 2 weeks now. the only thing left to do is put a torch to one of the spacers and hope it comes out. lastnight i had an impact wrench on the bolt side and a friend helping with an air chisel on the other side,... the bolt will turn but not move out at all. good luck.