PDA

View Full Version : How do you all like your 400?

lance400
08-18-2005, 06:50 PM
I am doing a lot of research on quads. I HONESTLY of the owners of the 400ex, how do you feel about the 400ex. What you like, and what you don't like, and what could be improved. So far I have not really heard bad on them, I guess because its a Honda:D . I am comparing two quads, 400ex and the Z400. Please state how you HONESTLY feel about the quad.

Thanks

2004exrider
08-18-2005, 06:56 PM
wish it was liquid cooled, other than that i love it.

Jimmy

Zackie
08-18-2005, 07:13 PM
whats the big deal about liquid cooled?

A friend has one and his locks up like a mother ****er when in mud....

2004400exa
08-18-2005, 07:21 PM
needs a diff seat cause mine anyway is to hard and is getting my *** sore and what i think they should do is make a special editon 400ex cause raptor has there limted edtion and so do bombardier with there ds 650 baja x or whatever and they add a bunch of stuff to them and my opinion is to do that to a 400ex or something

400exc
08-18-2005, 07:23 PM
honda wont, because the 400ex had its times, and sold very well, and they prob. wont make a limited edition one

lance400
08-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Do you all think they will still make the 400ex in the future? I'm asking that because the blaster is a good quad, and its last year is 06.

400exc
08-18-2005, 07:30 PM
yea but not many 2 strokes are left, but the 400ex will sell for alot longer i bet, at least 5 more years, who knows maybe more.

2004400exa
08-18-2005, 07:31 PM
so your saying there not making any more 400s after 06

lance400
08-18-2005, 07:33 PM
no im not saying that, im saying that the yamaha two stroke blaster will not be made anymore after the year 2006, mainly because its a two stroke, 200cc, blaster.

2004400exa
08-18-2005, 07:42 PM
well im looking at the new dirt wheels magazine and there making a yamaha wolverine 450 so hopeflly that should be pretty nice

lance400
08-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Yeah, i know its deffently the blaster, and I also think the banshee there gonna stop making after 06. Dirt Wheels is a great mag by the way:D

B-rad D
08-18-2005, 07:57 PM
the only thing honda will get rid of or make better is the 250ex or the 300ex which news a new look

DaleJrFan
08-18-2005, 07:58 PM
honda may keep making the 400ex but who is going to buy them? the z400 beats the 400ex in every catagory and the 450r is hondas new "flagship" sport bike. i love my 400ex and will never sell it but there are better production quads outhere. yamaha's yfz,700 raptor,suzuki's z400 and new z450 will give honda a run for their money. yamaha is still going to make the banshee, it just wont be sold in the US due to EPA regulations.

B-rad D
08-18-2005, 08:01 PM
i dont think that z400s are better

meanyellow03ex
08-18-2005, 08:08 PM
It's a Honda. Has tons of aftermarket support. Bulletproof if taken care of.

phishboy66
08-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Here is my opinion. I am pretty new to atv's.(just got my 1st this year) I got a 2000 400ex for pretty cheap. My friend's new 400dvx will pull away from me in the sand drags, but he cant catch me in the woods. I have ridden his bike alot, and the honda feels more stable in jumps and flatter in the turns. I think the 400 feels heavier, but not as topheavy. as for aftermarket parts, they are pretty cheap, and very available. also alot of used stuff for cheap. If you don't believe me, do a 400ex search on ebay and see how many thousand items pop up!!! The 400ex is fast enough for me (6'3" 230lbs) to have a blast, and smooth enough for my wife to enjoy. In my opinion, you would be hard pressed to find a better all around bike.

cracer250
08-19-2005, 12:30 PM
My honest opinion, stock 400ex's are top heavy and roll in corners like most stock quads do. Go for some smaller tires front and rear, and those will fix that. I mean, they put 23" tires in the font. That's just huge. Now, the front shocks are crappy compared to what they have out now and tend to get a "pogo stick" action going when they get older. As far as the engine goes, it will run as long and as good as the owner treats it. They are pretty bullet proof, but many have some carb issues with starting/fouling plugs when you start modifying stuff. They tend to run a little hot like all air cooled engines do. Power wise, they will run and handle with the best through the trails, but get into ovals or drags and the 400ex will come up short. I don't like the battery only starting system. I'd love to see a back up kicker or something similar. I've had many battery problems in cold weather. Overall, I loved my 400ex, but It's not a "perfect" quad. I guess no quad is perfect. I sold mine and got the 450R. Much better quad in every aspect in my opinion.

400exmatt
08-21-2005, 04:28 PM
In my opinion i like my ex better cause i rode quite a few z's and there wheelbase is way to short 4 me cant keep the front end down.

08-21-2005, 04:40 PM
i liked mine. But quading got boring and i traded for a bike. IT is a good fourwheeler for sure though, my dad has a z and his was faster then mine and i had a pipe and his was stock.

krt400ex
08-20-2006, 01:19 PM
i think that the oly downfall to the 400EX is that the headlight is pointed to high when the high beam is on.(this is on the '05 and up models). otherwise there r no complaints at all.

the z400, in my opinion, is more tippy than the ex, it has less bottom end, less reliable, when u lean into turns ur knees hit the front plastics, the styling is poor(remember, this is my opinion), and it doesn't feel as fast. i know it is faster on top, but it doesn't feel as fast. the models before '05 don't have as good suspension as the ex either.

krt400ex
08-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by B-rad D
i dont think that z400s are better

x2

okbeast
08-20-2006, 02:19 PM
I don't really have any complaints of mine so far. Of course it could always be faster, but no problems yet.

On a side note, i'm waiting for Honda to come out with a bigger/faster quad than the 450r.

bigbearkid4x4
08-20-2006, 03:39 PM
from personal experience of having a 2002 ex from stock and a friend having a new 2006 Z400. in stock form the Z was a lil quicker/fasterbut they were both just as fun. the EX sits lower and fits better to my liking.for the riding we do i invested in a full yoshimura exhaust, filter, jetting, and a 16 tooth front sprocket. they are so close in acceloration and same on top end too. i guess its all in what u like but my preference if i got a new one i wouldnt hesitate to buy a new EX over a Z. the EX is very reliable and simple. i like not haveing a radiator due to the fact of i like to play in the mud and dont want to worry about overheating. for competion the Z would have the edge with being fast/ more powerful with mods but for playing around hte pits or trails id take the EX any day

F-16Guy
08-20-2006, 04:57 PM
I like my 400 a lot. It's dead reliable, fast enough for me (mine's a 416), replacement parts both new and used are dirt cheap, and it is easy and inexpensive to upgrade the suspension and engine to make it a fast play bike or local level racer. I think the power band is great, too. The new 450 engines are so over-square that you have to rev the crap out of them all the time. My 416 revs pretty good, but it's a tractor down low.

If Honda would have thrown some decent 450-style front shocks on it, bumped up the compression, and went with a HRC cam profile, the new 400ex would have a totally renewed market amongst sport quad buyers. I guess it will probably go the way of the Do-Do instead.

ugotbit
08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I like my 400 a lot. It's dead reliable, fast enough for me (mine's a 416), replacement parts both new and used are dirt cheap, and it is easy and inexpensive to upgrade the suspension and engine to make it a fast play bike or local level racer. I think the power band is great, too. The new 450 engines are so over-square that you have to rev the crap out of them all the time. My 416 revs pretty good, but it's a tractor down low.

If Honda would have thrown some decent 450-style front shocks on it, bumped up the compression, and went with a HRC cam profile, the new 400ex would have a totally renewed market amongst sport quad buyers. I guess it will probably go the way of the Do-Do instead.

Thats the best so far. To me the 400 is a great quad. The fact is there are better ones available with more power, better suspension ect. The 400ex is also not liquid cooled, and yes it does matter. A cooler engine lives a longer life. It is very comfortable to ride/control and with some inexpensive mods is a great woods/trail ride and entry level racer. Like stated above, some oil cooling mods, power and suspension the 400 is a very capeable machine and should not be overlooked, especialy if you are looking used...

AJ's Blaster
08-21-2006, 09:02 AM
My dad has the z400 and I have the 400ex. In a straight line he won't pull away from me on top end and in the woods the ex is far superior. I personally love the z400s snappy motor but it can be a pain to handle in the woods and it doesn't handle as well. I would take my ex anyday over the z because it fits me better and you don't tire as easy with the mellow motor compared to the snappy motor.

Jakeyracer
08-21-2006, 01:48 PM
i have had my 400ex for about a year and a half the only aftermarket parts on the thing have nothing to help(preformance wise). so a practicly stock 400ex not a problem yet, its a honda (born bullet proof). i ride this thing hard all the time jumping burnouts wheelies and not a thing has even bent or been scratched. me personaly i like the look of the older models:D .

ok i cant say much bout suzuki,cept for i dont like them at all. reliability is a big factor when i look at quads and every suzuki i have ever ridden has had some gay problem that keeps you from riding and costs $27863 to fix. i think it is just my dads side of the family cuz they used to have like 5 suzuki dirtbikes and they ALL BROKE DOWN i know i will get a lot of hater posts from this but stay away from them

little off topic but WHO HERE THINKS YAMAHA SHOULD MAKE A 400 TO FILL IN THE EMPTY SPACE LEFT BY THE BANSHEE(for the U.S. at least) OR A 250-300 FOR THE BLASTERS SPOT

Eviltanker
08-21-2006, 03:43 PM
yes the blaster and the banshee are gone. 06 was their last year. the 07 400EX's are out and they havn't changed from the 06'. I have an 06' 400EX and love it. just wish it had some better front shocks.the 450 wolverine is nice but it's automatic. My bud from my unit has a Z400 and it is always getting fixed so take it as it is.

newrider4002001
08-22-2006, 06:40 PM
ive had my 400 ex for a couple months now and have already run into a major design flaw. the wheelie bar is part of the frame so when you break it ( which i have in the short time i have owned it) then you either have to keep welding it or buy a new frame. i chose welding its much cheaper

Nick shupe
08-22-2006, 07:03 PM
yea that sucks having the wheelie bar all as one peace I got an afttermarket Lonestar subframe on mine you can take the grabbar on and off that's nice. I love my 400ex and will sell it, there only going to make the 400ex for another year and that's it.

400exrider99
08-22-2006, 07:19 PM
i love my 400ex but i have only ridden a 250r and a bomby 650 as far as sport quads go. if you do get a 400ex i would recommend the 450r front shocks to go along with it much better ride. my uncle has a z400 and as far a i know he hasnt had any problems with it but we are not that close, we dont talk very much.

Rogan91
08-22-2006, 10:03 PM
dude my 400ex is the *****, its always been running great, so much u can do to em, actualy i just wrecked mine into a huge lake at the dunes and its running fine now a day after and all i had to do was change the oil. NOOOOOOO engine damage. cant kill a honda.....

jokester
08-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Rogan91
dude my 400ex is the *****, its always been running great, so much u can do to em, actualy i just wrecked mine into a huge lake at the dunes and its running fine now a day after and all i had to do was change the oil. NOOOOOOO engine damage. cant kill a honda.....

ya, I definatley agree that you can't kill a honda!!!!!

one of my buddy's that used to own a honda, just totally thrashed on that thing and it still ran good. But he went for about 5 or so years without even running an airfilter on it. And we rode through mostly dust where he lives, and he cracked the frame, rolled it a few times and all kinds of other stuff happend to it....AND THE D**N THING STILL RUNS!!!!!

Rogan91
08-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by jokester
ya, I definatley agree that you can't kill a honda!!!!!

one of my buddy's that used to own a honda, just totally thrashed on that thing and it still ran good. But he went for about 5 or so years without even running an airfilter on it. And we rode through mostly dust where he lives, and he cracked the frame, rolled it a few times and all kinds of other stuff happend to it....AND THE D**N THING STILL RUNS!!!!!

ya im pretty crazy on my bike ive rolled that thing sooooooooooo many times like seiously somewere around 30, nothing bent at all no damage. and like i said i crashed it into a lake. I used to have a 250ex that got tost of a trailer at prolly 40mph and still ran, the only damage was a bent axle....cant kill a honda

08-23-2006, 04:13 AM
i love my wifes,i twas mine until i got a 450r. dependable, reliable bullet proof, no complaints what so ever.

that is a grab bar for moving the bike around, it is not a wheelie bar. it was not designed to prevent backwards rollovers while doing wheelies...

sandgeko
08-23-2006, 08:42 AM
i bought one a used one and love it its pretty beatup the plastics everything else works perfect but when you own honda products you won't be dissapointed as i owned a few autos and still have one 1991 accord with over 200,000 miles and still running in perfect order this atv and my car might out live me just my two cents

ridfastorbelast
08-23-2006, 11:08 PM
i love my ex.. so proud of it few mod on it 16t and W-B slip on beat a 450r on top end not bad for a quad i paid 4g can beat one that worth 10 even beated a ltz 450r.. my friend his mad about this haha but im proud of mind

and it the wheelie king

only thing i dont like it take lots of oil... prob cuz i beat the **** out of it lol

that the only i dont like about it sucks lot of oil
but it honda so u can trust it;)

honda's the best so F*ck the rest

Grant Casey
08-24-2006, 03:46 AM
mines OK
I'm waiting for some money so i can get some engine work done and. and frame powder coated and other things.

drsnugfit
08-24-2006, 12:46 PM
I have owned both a Z400 and an EX400, I had quite a few mods on the Z, how do they compare? well as I now own a EX I think that speaks for itself, I have got mine to just how I want it, it rides nice, has enough power for me and is biult like a tank, the Z always felt a bit weak to me, I have also owned a 450R and a banshee but the EX is the quad I like best.

krt400ex
08-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Jakeyracer
i have had my 400ex for about a year and a half the only aftermarket parts on the thing have nothing to help(preformance wise). so a practicly stock 400ex not a problem yet, its a honda (born bullet proof). i ride this thing hard all the time jumping burnouts wheelies and not a thing has even bent or been scratched. me personaly i like the look of the older models:D .

ok i cant say much bout suzuki,cept for i dont like them at all. reliability is a big factor when i look at quads and every suzuki i have ever ridden has had some gay problem that keeps you from riding and costs $27863 to fix. i think it is just my dads side of the family cuz they used to have like 5 suzuki dirtbikes and they ALL BROKE DOWN i know i will get a lot of hater posts from this but stay away from them

little off topic but WHO HERE THINKS YAMAHA SHOULD MAKE A 400 TO FILL IN THE EMPTY SPACE LEFT BY THE BANSHEE(for the U.S. at least) OR A 250-300 FOR THE BLASTERS SPOT

x2^^^^^

81 clark racing
09-08-2006, 06:31 PM
400 EX IS AWESOME I LOVE MINE. ID NEVER GET RID OF IT. HONDA MOTORS R THE STRONGEST IMO AND I FEEL THE 400EX IS 1 OF THE BEST QUADS OUT THERE GET AND RIDE RED OR DNT RIDE AT ALL