PDA

View Full Version : yfz problems?

jak1389
08-18-2005, 05:55 PM
hey guys, i might be switching over from honda to yamaha this saturday. well, is there anything wrong with the 04 yfz? like is there any known problems that they have, or do yamaha do an excellent job designing or engineering it. if theres anything at all you can tell me good or bad. oh yea, i was told something about a decompression plug, what is this about and what does it do? please let me know. i would like to know asap. thanks alot guys

~jason

EvilJester400EX
08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
The decompression plug is a $2.63 rubber cap that goes in the head of the engine, if the compression inside of the head reaches a certain level the plug will blow out. Most people say buy an aftermarket aluminum one but all you really have to do is bend the throttle cable holder down so that it touches the plug. Some other things to look out for is the battery, a lot of '04 YFZ's have the recharging problem. There has been a sticking gear problem with 1-3 gears on a few 04's. Many people say there is an oiling problem for the crank, however, I have not experienced this problem. If you plan on running motocross take the time to gusset your frame, broken frames really suck. :p Oh yeah, get a 6-point subframe for it as well.

08-19-2005, 10:54 AM
I have an 04 and the only problem it gave was a minor piston seizure and my crank gave out sending my connecting rod out the bottom of the case. Besides that everything has been cool.

:D :D :D

Just messin with ya! Its been awesome, the only problems I really had was the famous water pump leak. I fixed that with $6.00. I also changed the decomp. plug as a precaution. But overall I freakin love it!

bad01300ex
08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Aight, get a decompression plug, deff worth 10 bucks, (try K and K atv) as far as the battery problem if you are running with the headlights taken off, get a "resistor kit" from yamaha, just ordered one the other day, only 45 bucks.

Other things are the fiarly weak stem/subframe/swingarm and areas of the frame, if your not riding extremely hard you should be fine.

Also the seat is a little uncomfortable but i dont mind it and you can get a seat with extra foam.

Oh yea the stock throttle sucks too, a little stiff, i got a 400ex throttle and stuck my yfz cable in it and hooked it up no problem,

So if you can get over these few small things then the yfz kicks honda's a** for sure!

WORCSYFZ199
08-19-2005, 11:01 PM
yeah the last guy pretty much said it all, I got a head plug from Duncan (kand K is probably cheaper though) I broke both my swingarm and subframe and got replacements (I race Open A and Pro-Am in WORCS so I ride hard) and I had the battery die and just bought a replacement and it's been working perfect for me ever since (I also run a twist throttle)

BlasterMaster20
08-20-2005, 01:15 AM
HOPE U DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS JASON

Bill Fuller
08-20-2005, 07:11 AM
I have yet to experiance any problems from my '04 YFZ.I LOVE IT!

yamaguy
08-24-2005, 10:45 PM
No problems with my 04. It's been awesome.