PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating question (pappy)

SRH
08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
do different pc colors and styles hold up differently? like a translucent blue chips easier than a silvervein or something?
thanks any info is appreciated

Pappy
08-18-2005, 04:41 PM
If you talk to the powder suppliers and manufactures, they go by certain numbers that determine a powders strength. say 160 inch pounds, that is the most common number for the average powders. the translucents are rated at that along with silvervein. They claim they are all equal.

Now, if you talk to people that actually do the coating, you will get mixed answers. I dont like using it on high wear items such as a arms, pegs, shifters etc. On frames it has been doing fine and the only noticable wear has been where the riders boots scuff the frame.

So, the answer is yes and no. I advise people that if they race alot then they are better off sticking to solid colors. Solid colors will seem to hold up better but they too will get chips from roost. And they are easier to touch up if needed or god forbid the frame cracks and you have to weld on it.

Besure the company your using is actually coating parts for racers also. Too many places will tell you ive never ever had an issue. That may be, but street bikes and yard quads are not going to see the abuse a real race quad will.

If done properly, no matter where you go to get coating done, it will last until it doesnt. Ive got frames that are approaching 3 years of moderate use and they look very good. Ive also got frames that get the snot beat out of them every weekend racing and they have thier battle scars.

If your hesitant, and the short answer you were probably looking for, go with a solid color. silvervien with clear is almost indestructable.

SRH
08-18-2005, 04:45 PM
ok thanks, i appreciate the quick reply

Pappy
08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
if you have the latest dirtwheels, there is a pic of Pat Browns quad clearing a jump. You can see the effects of hard racing on powdercoating. The roost, bottoming out etc will rip chrome off arms so powder isnt going to last forever!

Tommy 17
08-18-2005, 05:07 PM
billy from my experience and i've had QUITE a few differnt colors from pappy done are to go with DARK solid one color that have texture to them...

this new color i have called wrinkled black on my a-arms and swinger and stuff is almost indestructable... i hammer it off rocks, trees, and everything else and theres not a CHIP! i hit a tree 2nd gear wide open in a xc race and it didn't put a scratch in the pc but bent the bumper...

i do notice the special green color i have does chip easier then my solid red colored frame... but its not bad! just gotta be careful with tools...

heres a picture of the conditions i ride in... this trail wasn't even the worst trail i was on!!! i'll have pappy photo my a-arms and stuff at rausch so you can see how the pc looks...

Pappy
08-18-2005, 05:16 PM
the green your frame is done in tommy has a rating of 125 in. lbs

i used regular clear to add some strength. your my guinie pig so tear it up all you can:devil:

Tommy 17
08-18-2005, 06:23 PM
lmfao just wait till rausch... i'll show u how it'll stand up... i'll show u the tammy litterfish way of trail making... right threw the woods and hit anything in my path!

cletusEX
08-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
lmfao just wait till rausch... i'll show u how it'll stand up... i'll show u the tammy litterfish way of trail making... right threw the woods and hit anything in my path!

I'll be up at Rausch Saturday also, so we can both put Pappy's coating work to the test (I tend to hit stuff:D )

Pappy
08-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
I'll be up at Rausch Saturday also, so we can both put Pappy's coating work to the test (I tend to hit stuff:D )

lol..yeah you scare me:devil:

im glad you got it ready for the ride! and im glad you like the frame!

SRH
08-18-2005, 09:18 PM
the hammertone grey on my a arms is some pretty tough stuff not even 1 chip with about 30-40 mx races on them

Pappy
08-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by SRH
the hammertone grey on my a arms is some pretty tough stuff not even 1 chip with about 30-40 mx races on them

hammertones are in the same family of powders as silvervien, but IMO they have better resistants to UV and the color doesnt wash out like some of the viens will with out the rotection of clear. that issue has gotton better as powder companies have redesihned some brands of viens for this very reason.

ive seen frames come in here with almost no stock paint on the front of them, and ive also recieved aftermarket frames in the same condition. i geuss it will come down to the conditions you ride in and what not. you continually blow turns and run the quad thru 10 inches of dirt and rocks that builds up just off the turn and you will wear chrome off of a arms so i know powder is not indestructable. that would also apply to bottoming the suspension etc.

all in all, powder is pretty strong, but ive seen it all be damaged by some form or another on parts from all over the country..lol