PDA

View Full Version : Elka Shocks

Antony250R
08-17-2005, 10:16 PM
I am thinking of getting a set for the front.
Would you notice the difference in riding between the ones that have reservoirs or without. I don't do alot of jumps mostly trail riding. The ones without reservoirs are almost half the price. Just wondering if anyone has any comments.

wilkin250r
08-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Shocks heat up as they work. The more they work, the more they heat up.

If you're flying across a dry lakebead, not many bumps, you're shocks aren't working hard and they don't heat up. But if you're hitting hard whoops, jumping, and really working your suspension, they'll get pretty hot.

With me so far?

As they get hotter, the performance falls off. The external reservoirs keep them cool, so the performance doesn't fade. Once the shocks cool down, performance returns to normal.

Still with me?

So, the point is, within the first ten minutes of riding, you won't notice any difference at all. After that, it depends on your riding. If you're just doing casual trails, or flats, or dunes, and you're not working your suspension all that hard, you won't notice any change at all, because your shocks are not getting hot. A couple jumps here and there won't do it, you have to really punish your suspension for them to get hot.

However, if you're racing motocross, hitting hard whoops, or going through real rutted sections, then you definitely WILL see a difference.

Flynbryan19
08-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I do not have ressies on my fox shocks, and I can notice the difference after about 30mins or so. I trail ride as well, but for the money.........I'll just deal with the fade. Its not worth it to me. Trust me......going with Elka's even without the ressies will still be WORLDS better than stockers and still better than say Works shocks.

baker250r
08-18-2005, 12:33 PM
heres my Q.... piggyback or remote?

250R Baja Rider
08-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Either is fine. They both perform as well.

However, if you hit a branch for example, and damage the ressy on the piggy style, you will have to replace pretty much the entire shock.

Where as the remote ressys, if they get damaged, you only need to replace that part.